What Now in the East?

East Coast Senior Hockey League - Teams include CeeBees, Breakers, Eagles, Caps & Blues
Hockey Eyes
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:04 pm

I spoke with someone again this week involved in the Mount Pearl Blades organization about the much talked about " new league". Again the talk was about Mount Pearl and the CeeBees and the Caribous. There was no answer again to my question about who the mystery fourth team might be. He said that it wasn't for him to make the announcement but their would be more information late in April. I have said before the fact that there is no named fourth team leads me to conclude that at this stage there is none.
To my mind there are difficulties with a league that plays in Clarenville and St. John's and Harbour Grace. Assuming this is a league without salaries the question arises why players would want to play in a league with such a massive time commitment. At first blush I would say it would be younger players. If I am married and I am working and maybe have a family there is a difference between still wanting a game of competitive hockey and being prepared to drive a hundred clicks on a regular basis.
There are all kinds of possibilities I suppose that might see something like that workable but I do have trouble wrapping my head around it.
Does anyone know the name of the fourth team ?

superfan

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:18 pm

I wonder, Marystown or a team from that area maybe ???

Hockey Eyes

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:30 pm

Too far I think . Marystown is about an hour and a half from the TCH . To tell yo7u the truth super and maybe you can answer... with Clarenville in the league where do the "home " players come from. If a lot come from St. Johns's that's a problem to have to travel to play home games again ... for no money ....There could be per diems for gas or something but that drives costs up . There could be a bus out of St. John's ...but who wants to do that ?
My optimistic view is that it would be a league of modest talent based in the communities. I haven;'t got a clue about how many players there are in the Clarenville area . You would know that better than me. The other thing is that given the idea of no pay ....will all teams obey the rules.... ?
Lots of questions ....no answers but I will show up to Mount Pearl's games and have a look at the product. ...
What about the current league ... Southern Shore , St. John's Caps North East Eagles and the Conception Bay South Blues ? Do they just vanish ? Also .... what will HNL approve..?>. that's a big question . Lots to talk about. I hope Clarenville gets a game somewhere. ...either in a new league or as part of the ECSHL...

superfan

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:11 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:
Too far I think . Marystown is about an hour and a half from the TCH . To tell yo7u the truth super and maybe you can answer... with Clarenville in the league where do the "home " players come from. If a lot come from St. Johns's that's a problem to have to travel to play home games again ... for no money ....There could be per diems for gas or something but that drives costs up . There could be a bus out of St. John's ...but who wants to do that ?
My optimistic view is that it would be a league of modest talent based in the communities. I haven;'t got a clue about how many players there are in the Clarenville area . You would know that better than me. The other thing is that given the idea of no pay ....will all teams obey the rules.... ?
Lots of questions ....no answers but I will show up to Mount Pearl's games and have a look at the product. ...
What about the current league ... Southern Shore , St. John's Caps North East Eagles and the Conception Bay South Blues ? Do they just vanish ? Also .... what will HNL approve..?>. that's a big question . Lots to talk about. I hope Clarenville gets a game somewhere. ...either in a new league or as part of the ECSHL...
Very valid questions indeed . In my opinion, there is nowhere near enough talent in the Clarenville area, to fill a full roster for a Senior "A" team ,hence the questions you raised, will raise it's ugly head . Especially, the issue of a "wage War" . We all know how things get out of hand so fast . The cost alone, of getting a team to a destination, is a big concern . HNL sets the guide lines, then we may know where the "chips" will all land . Maybe, players can be available from central . Having said that, I think central has enough tallant, to ice a team dedicated to the Allan Cup. Thats how much admiration, and respect I have for the great folkes in that area . In my opinion, they contributed some elite players ever since 1935, and they still raise the bar to this very day .
I may have stepped on a solution, and I also, may have stepped on a land mine, so I will tread lightly :)

Gomez

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:25 am

They have nice rinks in CBS, Paradise and Torbay for a fourth team. I think the stronger hockey and fan interest will attract quality players to the new league.

Would you rather play in front of 25 people in twin rinks or 300-600 in Hr Grace and Clarenville? Would you rather contend for the Herder? Would you rather play house league at your local rink or would you rather play for the travel team?

goboosgo

Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:56 pm

superfan wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:11 pm
Hockey Eyes wrote:
Very valid questions indeed . In my opinion, there is nowhere near enough talent in the Clarenville area, to fill a full roster for a Senior "A" team ,hence the questions you raised, will raise it's ugly head . Especially, the issue of a "wage War" . We all know how things get out of hand so fast . The cost alone, of getting a team to a destination, is a big concern . HNL sets the guide lines, then we may know where the "chips" will all land . Maybe, players can be available from central . Having said that, I think central has enough tallant, to ice a team dedicated to the Allan Cup. Thats how much admiration, and respect I have for the great folkes in that area . In my opinion, they contributed some elite players ever since 1935, and they still raise the bar to this very day .
I may have stepped on a solution, and I also, may have stepped on a land mine, so I will tread lightly :)
Question for you Super, where is all the local talent in central to ice a dedicated Allan Cup team? As with the Caribous, the Cats added strengthening players from within the CWSHL along with players from outside the province.
The Cats organization have done very well with their import selections prior to this year when imports were outlawed other than goaltenders. This year without imports the Cats ended in last place with an early exit from the playoffs.
I've stated before that the vast majority of quality players are on the Avalon due to secondary eduction or employment opportunities. I don't see teams off the Avalon being able to attract these players without compensation.

Ivan

Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:19 pm

Hockey Eyes there may be more than one other possibility, might be 2 or even 3. As far as compensation is concerned why would a player from Bonavista/Burin Peninsula or Whitbourne not want to play in Clarenville for no compensation when they supposedly did it in the past to play in the Avalon East. Players that would fall under Cville Territory if agreed upon by leaque partners and if they chose to play with Cville : Russell/Smith/Churchill/Churchill/Reid/Reid/ Mcnamara/Mcnamara just to name a few. Cpl kids on the Mainland that may be home Picco from Marystown/Neil from Clarenville. Players playing on other teams who are from the areas covered and may want to play: Hutchings in Gander. 2 Goobies and Mcarthy and Fillier up the Shore. Street and Stevens with the Blues. 2 Fewers with Caps. Names above plus some players who may be allowed to be protected from our current roster combined with Quality players that will be avaliable in the draft, certainly a team in Cville under the guidelines is a Good Possibility and I'm working hard to see it happens. And before anyone jumps up and down, no I'm not gonna approach any players who are on other teams. Just pointing out that there are players from the area out there. Might not be Herder Quality in year one, but not a bad place to start. The Future of Hockey in Cville has to be to come East and I feel the people are now out there to make it happen. For anyone to say that every hockey don't enjoy a little road trip/whether it be overnight or just a bus trip to play a game and build a bit of comradrie has been following a different sport than me for the past 45 yrs.

PurpleandGold

Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:54 pm

Churchill and Churchill? Jason would fly in to play in this new unpaid league??

AEfan

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:53 pm

Any word from the ECSHL meeting held this evening? Ceebees and Caribou’s make it in??

• Information