Game Attendance This Year and Next

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
tincanfan
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:56 pm

I spoke to a fellow today and mentioned the Herder games. He didn't know there were games being played. That started me to thinking.
Aside from die-hard fans no one knows that hockey is being played, Why?
Advertising is the key. There is no mention of scores or games on any of the media, except for national scores. The Telegram will mention it once in a while, but their sports editor doesn't see anything positive outside the overpass.
The radio stations is the key. They could promote the local game. Most towns have "local" stations and local advertisers and should be promoting the local teams.. The games playing this weekend is known only to about 1% of the population. Pressure should be put on the media to promote the league. Advertisers could do this, by demanding they promote local sports.
This may be stupid but HNL is taking money from the games so why don't they pay for ads.
I watched those guys in Clarenville last week, and I couldn't help think [as they put their heads together] they now know the difference in the leagues, now what can we do to stick the last nail in the coffin.
Sorry I rambled a bit, but my intent was to have more promotion and everyone has to step up. If folks don't know there is a hockey game, how can they attend?????

canonball

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:11 am

There is no talk about senior hockey inside the overpass . They are only interested in the edge games and if the will be a hockey team playing at the mile one next year . They will not try and promote any hockey other than a pro league . Their thoughts are the hell with locals .

The Bottom Line

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:37 pm

IMO, HNL has no or very little interest in senior hockey in NL. You will not see them promote, invest, support or push to grow senior hockey in NL (which in turn, grows hockey at the minor levels) and that should be their #1 mandate. Case in point are the Cats and Bous. I can't remember HNL making a big deal when either of these teams / towns became national champs. Not to mention when Clarenville hosted the AC; or when the Brier was in St.Johns. Great opportunities to put a feather in their own hats and showcase the great senior hockey that this province had to offer on a national level. But nothing. Other provincial hockey governing bodies would have been all over that. But not here in NL, where HNL stands for Hockey No Longer !!!!

I'd like to see all the teams become affiliated with a governing body from another province and run things right.

canonball

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:53 pm

And then they jump right in if it is a franchise from outside that wants to come here .how many time do you see anything on about hockey from Mark Dwyer

The Bottom Line

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:13 pm

canonball wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:53 pm
And then they jump right in if it is a franchise from outside that wants to come here .how many time do you see anything on about hockey from Mark Dwyer
Very seldom, but I could care less about that. But the fact that HNL is not 100% behind senior hockey in NL is a shame. They do have skin in the game and should be doing everything they can to grow and protect hockey in NL. What a circus :roll:

CCFAN-dbs

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:22 pm

The only time I hear or see anything about senior hockey is from the teams on Facebook and/or twitter. Outside of that Terry Hart reports about the scores and upcoming games on Twitter.

Hahahaha as I typed that, the sports news was on vocm. At the end it was about the herder resuming tonight at Jack Byrne.
Go BOUS Go!

goboosgo

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:31 pm

HNL certainly don't care about senior hockey off the NE Avalon but they were all there on their high and mighty stage last weekend at the EEC. I heard president Jack was even challenging fans on Saturday night, he was a no show Sunday afternoon. They should be there with clown suits on.
Last edited by goboosgo on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canonball

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:32 pm

What time is the game tonight

canonball

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Turn on the lights gobousgo

CCFAN-dbs

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:41 pm

canonball wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:32 pm