Where is the New League ?

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Gobreakers
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Fri May 11, 2018 8:28 am

He projects as a very bitter person. Most of us choose to ignore him.

Zekie

Fri May 11, 2018 9:04 am

Gomez wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:41 pm
canonball wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:29 pm
A great fan base it was only 2 or 3 years ago that they had trouble finishing out the year and were asking for fans to come out and support the team . Now they have a great fan base ,how about the fact that they were winning with a team of paid players . I think that had a lot to do with their fan base
Clearly your opinion is clouded by your bitterness and negativity towards the cee bees.

I remember watching bay of island play the royals in a sold out pepsi centre. I remember lineups outside the Clarenville events centre 2 hours before the game so people could get their spot on the rail. Who would of thought in 2008 deer lake would have trouble getting fans to go to thier games.

Senior Hockey is a constant cycle of growth and decline. Regardless of what happened, or what you want to believe happened do to your ill feeling towards the cee bees.
In a constant state of flux all you can do is concentrate on survival. That's the condition that HNL has been fostering with the cronies at the helm.

Hockey Eyes

Fri May 11, 2018 4:49 pm

The Newfoundland Growlers will be looking for a couple of players for " spot" duty for their home games. These are players that wouldn't be part of the road show. No player with full time employment would want to go that route. The Baby Leafs did that...

Gomez

Fri May 11, 2018 5:24 pm

In a constant state of flux all you can do is concentrate on survival. That's the condition that HNL has been fostering with the cronies at the helm.
[/quote]

I know HNL hasn't done anything to help senior hockey. The influence they have had has certainly negatively affected senior hockey outside St. John's but I don't think they are the main factor in the demise of Senior Hockey. The novelty of it has worn off in most communities and the product is a bit stale.

As much as it is a move in the right direction a lot of people came to watch the gladiators go at it. There were fierce rivalries between teams and every game was a battle which doesn't appear to be the case in recent years.

Why does every team always have to make the playoffs? If it's a revenue thing maybe you should set up some sharing because it doesn't motivate teams to ice full lineups, not a great incentive for players to put their bodies on the line. In the end this takes away from the product that you are expecting a fan to pay a dollar for.

The biggest issue is the bloated salaries of players going through the motions. In the end these teams require large amounts of sponsorship dollars and fundraising to pay for their expenses. It is a massive volunteer effort that takes 12 months of the year. I understand that hockey is very important and brings a sense of community pride and these teams also give back to the community but something seems awfully perverse when the senior teams are effectively competing for sponsorship and fundraising dollars with local charities, minor sports teams, etc just to pay the overblown salaries of players.

But hey... that's just my opinion... and you know what they say about those...

canonball

Fri May 11, 2018 5:57 pm

Zekie wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:04 am
Gomez wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:41 pm
canonball wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:29 pm
A great fan base it was only 2 or 3 years ago that they had trouble finishing out the year and were asking for fans to come out and support the team . Now they have a great fan base ,how about the fact that they were winning with a team of paid players . I think that had a lot to do with their fan base
Clearly your opinion is clouded by your bitterness and negativity towards the cee bees.

I remember watching bay of island play the royals in a sold out pepsi centre. I remember lineups outside the Clarenville events centre 2 hours before the game so people could get their spot on the rail. Who would of thought in 2008 deer lake would have trouble getting fans to go to thier games.

Senior Hockey is a constant cycle of growth and decline. Regardless of what happened, or what you want to believe happened do to your ill feeling towards the cee bees.
No bitterness or negativity towards the CB's just stating facts .I agree with you that hockey is a constant cycle of growth and decline as other sports .also I was one of those fans that was in the lineups at the old Clarenville rink also the new one . I would like nothing better that to see the hockey we have had the last few year but I guess that is now gone . love to see the CB's and all of their fan support again

titan

Sun May 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Oh just a fan wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:32 pm
Why wouldn’t Short not be included here I wonder. We all hate on him a lot. But one thing we can all agree on is that he’s a heck of a player when he wants to focus on hockey.
Short is a great hockey player. It had nothing to do with the hate on him.

IMO he didn't show a lot of interest in the game last year.

titan

Sun May 13, 2018 9:30 pm

aseyeseesit wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:45 pm
While this topic was intended to be about a 'new' Senior "A" NL Hockey League, the comments currently are centering on what players from the current Senior "A" hockey teams would consider playing in the new St.John's ECHL entry....
Almost all of the 5 or 6 players' names referenced presently have full time good paying jobs in St.John's or area, so why would any of them bother with this new ECHL team , since presumably to be on such a team the players will spend their winter out of the province with only a portion of the games in St.John's . Surely those Senior "A" players wouldn't quit their full time good-paying day jobs to go on the road for part time ECHL hockey pay and no other job. Doesn't make sense... except maybe for a very minimal 'couple' of the current "former pro players" in our NL Senior hockey, who may not have real solid full-time current day jobs.

And, by the way, what about the 'new' Senior "A" NL hockey League this thread was supposed to be about?
You sure commented a lot on the off topic issue you were complaining about.

Threads and topics evolve as the comments go on, just like in a real conversation...

royalcat

Wed May 16, 2018 10:55 am

Sure Canonball had a hate going on with his own team the Bous when they weren’t winning,so it is not just the CeeBees he hates.

canonball

Wed May 16, 2018 5:39 pm

I guess that you don't know me , by the way I don't hate any team or player .That is a strong thing to say about a person .I do think that some players are out there to injure other players and you know who I am talking about .You are getting back to GFW which did and still have a great and I would like nothing better than to see them play in a league with the bous . Are you a big fan ,I don't think that you are

top cheese

Tue May 29, 2018 12:39 am

When players start getting injured and brought up to the ahl. The roster needs to be filled somehow. Its ethier going to come through some southern pro league or senior AAA. with newfoundlands location your gaurenteed to get a few senior players up for a cup of tea

• Information