TWO 'CENTRAL' SENIOR TEAMS WANT HOCKEY KEPT ALIVE

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
titan
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:19 pm

Gomez wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:04 pm
Force the east league to take in the cee bees, mount pearl and clarenville and force the west league to take in grand falls and gander. Hockey for everybody!
I don't think you can force anyone to do anything. I realize you most likely are being flippant in your post.

I for one will not be buying a holding seat for some half ass schedule anymore or even a 3 team league for that matter. If all teams make the playoffs the regular season is a wash and I'm not interested in that anymore. Sure I'll attend some games but not like I have in the past.

Twillingate will need a major sponsor before they look at the central league and even then half the players are saying they have no interest in playing in said league. They say they have had a successful league for a few years now and see no point in changing anything

Oh just a fan

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:49 pm

I don’t think Twillingate would need much of a huge sponsor. For this league to work , they’d have to cut costs anyways, all teams that is. Sure they’d need some sponsors but they have some down there for the team they have now. Plus they will pack the rink every game. Ticket sales should be enough to cover most costs.

titan

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Oh just a fan wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:49 pm
I don’t think Twillingate would need much of a huge sponsor. For this league to work , they’d have to cut costs anyways, all teams that is. Sure they’d need some sponsors but they have some down there for the team they have now. Plus they will pack the rink every game. Ticket sales should be enough to cover most costs.
That's not what I was told on the weekend by some people that are involved with the Combines when I was out there....

They are afraid of getting blown out every game because some of their players won't be making the transition. They feel they would need extra revenue if that were the case and fan support drops. Remember in smaller places lots of family go to watch their relatives play who would never go to a game if not for that

We would also need 1 more team at the very least and preferably 2 to make a viable season if it's just the Cats and Flyers imo

Oh just a fan

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:01 am

I hear ya, but I’ve never been to a sporting event in Twillingate be it hockey, ball hockey, or even softball that the fans weren’t packed in there.

Also could South Brook host a team? Play out of Triton? They usually pack the rink down there too.

titan

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:30 am

Oh just a fan wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:01 am
I hear ya, but I’ve never been to a sporting event in Twillingate be it hockey, ball hockey, or even softball that the fans weren’t packed in there.

Also could South Brook host a team? Play out of Triton? They usually pack the rink down there too.
Nor me, they love their sports in Twilly. I was a little surprised when they mentioned that. Nobody sits at a game there and the fans are intense. It would be great to see a team there!

They do pack the rink out that way. This would basically mean an end to CWHL tho and I don't think that's gonna be easy for a lot of people to swallow without a fight...

Oh just a fan

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:34 pm

You’re definitely correct when saying it’ll end the Central Intermediate League. But by adding a team to Green Bay, adding a team in Twilly, then basically it’s just Lewisporte without a game. But let’s be honest those players could join with Twillingate to help provide a better team.

I know I’m swinging for the fence here while hoping that it’ll work. But it’s all just options I hope they at least explore.

herder head

Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:58 pm

CBN executive have stated they are open to a home and home series against central west league teams if that's what necessary for central west teams to survive and to help keep senior hockey alive in those communities but they have zero interest in playing in a league with these teams, they want to play in the east.
Hockey eyes is right, this likely won't be settled till September.

aseyeseesit

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:00 am

The chaos which is Senior hockey in NL will be resolved long before September - and regrettably it will not be a good ending .
It looks like not only GFW and Gander will be out of hockey but a couple of the current 4 teams in the ECSHL will also be out in the "cold".
The latest scuttle butt has the CeeBees 'running the show' and dictating to HNL and the 4 current teams in the ECSHL. The CeeBees only want 2 of the 4 current teams in their 'new' League ,(along with Clarenville and Mount Pearl). The wealthy CeeeBees , with their "Chase the Ace" fortune appear to be doing all the dictating - An example of the "tail wagging the dog" I fear.
All the back-room wheeling and dealing will very soon be exposed... It won't take till September.

Gomez

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 am

What would you prefer? Clarenville had trouble finishing out last season... Gander the season before... Fan support has consistently been falling. If history is any indication what we are seeing happen in the central league is very predictable. You cannot force the Cee Bees to play in the Central league.... the organization, players and even the fans are not interested. As much as people are not willing to admit it, the product has become stale to many fans. It is overpriced and operating costs exceed revenue to a point that it's a year long endeavor for a large volunteer team just to raise the money to break even by the start of the next season. Unfortunately, it's run it's cycle and the current model doesn't work anymore. Change is needed for any long term viability of hockey for the central teams.

That being said...HNL has to sanction the leagues and they have the herder so they do hold the power. They do not have a great track record in their management of senior hockey. Which is not surprising as it seems that many people from the top down are only there for their own personal gain. The president of HNL has a major conflict of interest and isn't afraid to use it. It's a boys club that seems like once you are in you are there for life.

Regarding the ECHL... The president of the east league is also the GM of the St. John's Caps(Conflict of Interest?). Not a chance he accepts a new team in his league unless he is strong armed into it. The ECHL was a complete joke last year. Hardly anybody put their name in the drafts, teams showing up with 2 lines, even dressing their backup goalie as a player to have enough. Why not let the Cee Bees, Clarenville and Mt Pearl start the AESHL back up, fix the mess and give the players, fans and communities a decent league in the area.

Sergio

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:20 pm

aseyeseesit wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:00 am
The wealthy CeeeBees , with their "Chase the Ace" fortune appear to be doing all the dictating - An example of the "tail wagging the dog" I fear.
Considered how the "tail" got screwed last year by the "dog", all this wagging and dictating you're talking about simply sounds like karma to me.

I say good for the Ceebees for fighting back because as was obvious from last year, nobody else is going to go to bat for them.

• Information