TWO 'CENTRAL' SENIOR TEAMS WANT HOCKEY KEPT ALIVE

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Stadium Fries
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:19 am

Hockey Eyes wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:21 pm
...." It would make for the best hockey on the island." but it is not to be . that is the reality. The days of high paid hockey are gone . Not killed by HNL but by lack of interest from enough fans.. Yes Grand Falls and I guess Gander are interested ... but Corner Brook , Deer Lake , and now Clarenville are not. All that is left is two teams . It is over.There is no joy in that ...it is just that it is time to move on ....It doesn't look like anyone in the east ... Mount Pearl or Clarenville or the CeeBees or the Caps or the Eagles or the Southern Shore or Bell Island/Conception Bay South are interested in driving to central Newfoundland at great expense to play hockey because two towns want it that way .. The eastern teams are are fine in the east in some configuration ....where it costs thirty thousand dollars to run a team and not three hundred thousand dollars
... ..... .
You failed to state that the four current teams on the Avalon have no interest in accepting the Cee Bees or Caribous in their league. These two teams will dominate the league and will and continue to break the rules of paid players in that league. As I stated before if the Caribous and Cee Bees want hockey this coming season it will be in the Central league........Having said that with the hatre for the Cats if the Cats announced that they are folding tomorrow you would see the Caribous and Cee Bees travelling to Gander for hockey this winter if that was their only option left. However as it stands now there will not only be any hockey in Grand Falls or Gander but there will be no hockey for the Caribous or Cee Bees too.

Hockey Eyes

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:40 pm

I respectfully disagree ....I think there will be hockey in the east for Clarenville and CeeBees.. It might be a situation where in order to play the CeeBees and the Caribous would have to look after some travelling costs. Not every team in the east wanted the CeeBees gone. Certain forces did although all four teams signed off on it. I think HNL will make sure the Caribous and the CeeBees get a game of hockey. Mount Pearl certainly wants them in .
The bad blood that developed after the CeeBees and the Mount Pearl Blades double crossed the AESHL and headed for what they thought was "the promised land" has largely dissipated ( I hope).
Colour me optimistic I will be going to Clarenville to watch the Blades or the Eagles against the Bous.There is a breath of fresh air these days in the east. That's a good thing ...

thelionsden

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:00 pm

Will there be "PAID PLAYERS" on these teams? and by paid players I mean Any way that the player gets money for playing hockey..IE: Sponsors, Air miles ETC.

Should they get paid.... yip, but will this new formed league approve this set up. I can only see one team at the end and that's the CEE BEES. they are the team with the $$$ and the ones pushing this league to set up.

Hockey Eyes

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:33 pm

I only know Mount Pear;l won't have paid players but will be generous with sticks and things like that ...gas money I expect. Mount Pearl have lots of money .
A fly in the ointment by the way this year might be The Growlers. I don't have unlimited time to go to hockey... Mile One will be full I expect for The Growlers... If I am there on a Saturday night i won't be at the Glacier or anywhere else on a Sunday ... We will see I guess. ... The Growlers may suck but I don't think so . There are great hockey people involved in that team...

Oh just a fan

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:34 am

Love how you state that HNL will try everything to insure that the Bous and CBN will have hockey, but they won’t go through the same effort for the two central teams. Typical HNL mentality to be honest. All about the east coast, they’ve always been and always will.

titan

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:57 pm

Stadium Fries wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:19 am
Hockey Eyes wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:21 pm
...." It would make for the best hockey on the island." but it is not to be . that is the reality. The days of high paid hockey are gone . Not killed by HNL but by lack of interest from enough fans.. Yes Grand Falls and I guess Gander are interested ... but Corner Brook , Deer Lake , and now Clarenville are not. All that is left is two teams . It is over.There is no joy in that ...it is just that it is time to move on ....It doesn't look like anyone in the east ... Mount Pearl or Clarenville or the CeeBees or the Caps or the Eagles or the Southern Shore or Bell Island/Conception Bay South are interested in driving to central Newfoundland at great expense to play hockey because two towns want it that way .. The eastern teams are are fine in the east in some configuration ....where it costs thirty thousand dollars to run a team and not three hundred thousand dollars
... ..... .
You failed to state that the four current teams on the Avalon have no interest in accepting the Cee Bees or Caribous in their league. These two teams will dominate the league and will and continue to break the rules of paid players in that league. As I stated before if the Caribous and Cee Bees want hockey this coming season it will be in the Central league........Having said that with the hatre for the Cats if the Cats announced that they are folding tomorrow you would see the Caribous and Cee Bees travelling to Gander for hockey this winter if that was their only option left. However as it stands now there will not only be any hockey in Grand Falls or Gander but there will be no hockey for the Caribous or Cee Bees too.
Oh my everyone still hates the Cats, the whole world is still against them....sin. Why do you think the Bous and Bees would come to Gander and not GFW?

titan

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:09 pm

The Bous and the Bees are doing what they can to ensure they get a game of hockey this year and I don't blame anyone for that.

It looks as tho this will come at a cost to GFW and Gander as well as a couple of teams on the Avalon.

I was hoping that the Cats and Flyers would have put more effort into organizing a Central type league like they have on the West Coast but I don't see much effort being put forth there, instead they are beating a dead horse by the look of it and feel their way is the best way. Gander averaged around 750 fans per game last year and there was no extra cash floating around. The teams and league got to big in themselves, they let the Allan Cup rule at all costs, both financially and pissing players off and this is where we are.

Flyer24

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:15 pm

From what I have been told the Flyers are open to anything at this point. Would actually be cheaper to play games on the Avalon than in Clarenville. However as this drags on I suspect we will see another winter without any hockey. The last gap between Senior in Gander was from 1997 - 2012 I think. I'd say once it ends here this time around the chances for revival in the future are slim.

aseyeseesit

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:01 pm

I am hearing positive things may be happening "as we debate" whether there will be any future for GFW and Gander...
There may be another 'first' unfolding, wherein Hockey NL may actually be taking seriously its authority and duty in these particularly 'unsettled days' in senior hockey to actually do something dramatic to save senior hockey outside of the Avalon. It will definitely need to be a dramatic and more open approach to senior hockey if all fans in every part of the island are to be treated fairly - that every community, no matter where they are in NL, if they want hockey, they matter to the "powers -to-be". After all the 'mandate of HNL is to promote what is best for hockey across the WHOLE province!
The word is that HNL may be willing to push any team - from east or west,(or, central too, [if they stay alive] - that wants to participate in any future Herder playoffs to require that they must be willing to step up and "make" hockey possible ,(for places like GFW and Gander,at present), and be willing to play a minimum number of games with teams from other areas (like the Cats and Flyers at present, who are legitimately looking for hockey and appear to have no place to play next season) ... And, that more direct role from HNL still must allow independence among organizations so that, even though a "bigger picture" approach requires a more dramatic strategy, organizations east or west still are running their own operations, not HNL running them
And, the Cats and Flyers themselves must be willing to be more flexible and pro-active in finding another team to "replace" Clarenville, (who have publicly stated they want out of the present three team CWSHL), in a geographically reformulated new version of a "Central Region League" .
There have already been discussions apparently from hockey reps involved with the Twillingate Combines , who reportedly have been 'inquiring' about being able to ice a team in senior hockey. (The Combines have been pretty successful in the Central(Intermediate?) Hockey League .
Here's hoping teams east and west , along with central , are willing to step up for their own benefits and the benefit, particularly, of the central region's senior hockey fans in Gander and GFW, (and in Twillingate(?)...

catsfan200

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:20 pm

2011 Herder Champions
2014 Herder Champions
2015 Herder Champions
2016 Herder Champions
Go Cats Go!

Follow me on twitter @markie800200

• Information