Hockey News

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Hockey Eyes
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:21 am

It speaks volumes that the faithful fans of a hockey league have to find out what is going on from a St. John's newspaper ... anyway here is Robin Shorts piece from the paper

http://www.thetelegram.com/sports/hocke ... me-242960/

aseyeseesit

Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:14 am

Hockey Eyes , the "faithful" did not in fact have to wait for "a St.John's newspaper" to get an update on Senior hockey.
There have ben regular news updates on the Home page of the CWSHL website all summer. The entry of the CeeBees as a fourth team in the CWSHL is 'old new', and highlighting that information has been posted in "News" on the CWSHL website for weeks... And, part of the reason why no official announcement is still not formally filed by ALL parties - ECSHL,CWSHL ,WCSHL and HNL - is because it is still not a done deal yet:( See the latest 'Update' on the CWSHL site. So, Robin Short may be ahead of himself!).
Issues of (1)travel and (2) availability of Senior A players to ensure a competitive and balanced group of teams in a revamped CWSHL, the main points referred to by Robin Short in the Telegram article you posted , are 'old' news. And those concerns still may prove a stumbling block short-circuiting Senior hockey for the CeeBees, and the other three teams in the CWSHL... Stay tuned.

Hockey Eyes

Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:47 am

Is this the news I missed ?

"UPDATE: CATS FANS STILL AWAITING FINAL WORD ON HOCKEY FOR 2018-2019!
Cats fans will have to wait a little longer to know for sure if there will be Senior Hockey for the Cataracts this Season.
At the end of the HNL Fall Meeting last weekend, all looked good with announcement ready that there would indeed be hockey... But there has been a "last minute" problem.
That apparent 'hockey-stopping' problem is being worked on, but, as a result it has meant that there is an unexpected delay. There is still a hope that the "problem", that has prevented any announcement of a "deal" to have hockey, can be solved, in order to allow hockey in central to start up again this year.
[2018-09-18 15:38:24]

Oh just a fan

Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:39 am

Imagine having to get news from a NEWSpaper......

thelionsden

Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:55 pm

Everything posted by Hockeyeyes is "OLD" news. The league site is updated and aseyeseeit has posted any news when it became available. The problem that I can see, is when you have more than one group trying to decide on what's right. You have executives from each group meeting...then you have the reps from each group meeting.... then you have the reps for the league meeting with HNL....it's not all easy as some people think.

The problem I see is getting players to fill out the rosters. 10 yrs ago you had an influx of players coming home from playing Junior hockey or college hockey on the mainland....those numbers seems to have dropped off a lot. It seem that teams are having issues with adding enough "Quality" players without raiding the East league. Hopefully it all gets worked out soon.

IT"S A LONG WINTER HERE IN CENTRAL.

aseyeseesit

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Hockey Eyes, for the record, the most recent "news Item" that you posted , that you found on the CWSH League Website, (and also filed on the Cataracts Home webpage), is just the most recent...
If you 'brought up' the "News Heading" on those websites , and not just current news on the Homepage, you will also find many other "Updates" filed over the last two months , which specifically highlight ( 1) that the fourth team entry in a proposed revamped CWSHL was indeed the CeeBees; and, (2) details on the very issues Robin Short just discovered, namely, concerns by the CeeBees and east coast teams generally,including Clarenville, about travel costs and not wanting to do any travel, apart from the cost issue; and, (3) the issue of roster viability with the general shortage of players - the Draft in the CWSHL for players to come out to central to play has not had near enough players enter the Draft, either in the Fall start up Draft or the mid=season Draft.
As 'thelionsden' noted in his post - players to fill out rosters is still a continuing concern.

Flyer24

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:28 pm

The Interlocking games being held in the East should make them a lot more competitive.
I think al of last years teams will be able to fill out their rosters, however with the average $-per game to drop I would expect some significant turnover. The caliber of the hockey will likely decline.

It's one thing to be away from your kids/job/skidoo for $500 a weekend, but if the $ available is less and less each year at what point is the money offered just not worth it?

Hockey Eyes

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:18 pm

A team like Gander will draw better in St. John's than a St. John's team would draw in Gander so having teams travel east is a good idea. The CeeBees and the Caribous will bring their own fans at least way more than would travel in the other direction. I wish all the teams luck . Too bad the west has no interest in Herder competition . An All Newfoundland Herder weekend would have been great in Corner Brook or St. Johns. Maybe next year.
Too bad there is no room for Mount Pearl but I understand that too. There is no clamour from fans , except for me, to have a team there.

Seniorfan

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:20 pm

If everybody agreed on terms at Saturday's HNL meeting how did anything change two days later? The issues that are surfacing on this forum aren't new. Nothing the teams weren't already aware of last week.

aseyeseesit

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:33 pm

When a team that has been out for awhile comes back, (as the Hr.Grace team is doing), coupled with their clear declarations in the media, that the 'offer' to play again, in the CWSHL, is not what it had hoped for, then that team, I suspect, is the 'party' that appears to be having second thoughts... ?Even though all looked good after the weekend, after-thoughts during the necessary 'final' steps is probably not unusual? Too convoluted an analysis? Let's trust they get their act together, and not implode.

• Information