Jr. vs Sr., etc....

West Coast Senior Amateur Hockey League - Corner Brook Royals, Deer Lake Red Wings, Stephenville Jets & Port aux Basques Mariners.
geoela
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:39 pm

Just noticed a thread on the St. Johns Junior chat about all of the players going to their league from the Central and West Jr league. Amazing how all the Jr. players want to go East and all of the Sr. players want to come West. I can honestly say that it is the first time this (West) side of the overpass has attracted the cream...in anything...and the St. Johns area is left with the seconds. Now if you could just tip the scale back just a little and even things up, it could be a good system.

This stealing of players sort of reminds me of the Midget AAA league. (the one that may not happen this year) Apparently, out of the 13 goalies they had trying out this year for the Fog Devils, neither one was good enough, so they lured the better goalie from Corner Brook to come play for them. This also happened a couple of years ago with a young Twillingate forward. Looks like a 1 team league this year in Midget AAA. Too bad. Soon be time for NL to get some kind of association going. Oh, wait a minute, we already have one...oh yeah....the one that lets St. Johns do whatever they want. Yeah, that's right.

GenoSniper

Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:39 pm

geoela a major reason for central players going to the east coast league has a lot to do with them going to university or to college. they dont get paid or anything like that so there is no reason for them to take the risk of traveling back and forth all winter.

JCg5

Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:55 pm

Travis Randall from twilinggate willingly chose to move to further is hockey . he's now a top player on the mooseheads in the Q with a real shot at a letter this year. Genosnipper is right to myself i'm trying out in st. johns for junior because im going to school out here and don't want to travel 10-16 hours a weekend.

geoela

Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:04 pm

That's totally understandable. I certainly wouldn't want my kid travelling all that distance either. There were, however, a few players over the past couple of years managing to get back and forth. A major pain for sure. And with no pay like you say. All points taken. Just unfortunate for the teams involved. Should be an awesome league in town though. Could get back to 12 teams again with all the new players arriving. There are a few more that I know who are looking for a game out there. All doing university etc..

Jim

Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:31 pm

Travis Randell was lured away...I dont care if he is the best player in the history of the mooseheads...St.John's lured him away. They tried to get Andrew Matheson from Gander this year to come. They lured Scott Walsh to come out when Western were struggling to ice a team.Now they are gone. They are now doing the same trying to take all the best players from the other programs so they can try Win the Telus Cup in 2011. And for the record of the St.Johns Fog Devils to win that tournemanet they better hope Wayne Gretzky moves to town and becomes 17 years old again. The whole AAA major midget program is being thrown away because the riff raft that a runs the st.johns program. This could be a dark year for the sport of hockey in Newfoundland. A center from the province winning the the bid to host this tournament should be a great thing.....Its sad to say its the worst thing that could of happened.

• Information