The Cataracts as an organization!!

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
santana500
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:07 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:58 pm

In order for hockey outside the overpass to exist players have to get some compensation. Not like on the Eastcoast you can go to a rink and be home in your own bed that night. Players even those from the Central area are not going to leave St. John's for the weekend and not get compensated. If all the high caliber players stayed in St. John's what kind of league would it be. There would be no team able to compete for the Herder it would be an Eastcoast trophy. Now to the fun part. You people out east are complaining about how dirty the Cats are and money they pay to players which I can't say they do one way or another as I never saw it happen. If teams on the Eastcoast want to be successful like the Cats they have to get off their behinds and fundraise 12 months of the year. These words are going to choke you!! What you are all mad about is and you won't admit it, is, the Cataracts have the best-run Amateur run hockey organization in the province. In the Herder final five of the last nine years speaks volumes and more than 50 fans at a regular season game. Time to call a spade a spade and take of those rose-colored glasses and see things for what they are and not what you want them to be.

NLEastHockeyFan
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:58 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:20 pm

santana500 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:58 pm
In order for hockey outside the overpass to exist players have to get some compensation. Not like on the Eastcoast you can go to a rink and be home in your own bed that night. Players even those from the Central area are not going to leave St. John's for the weekend and not get compensated. If all the high caliber players stayed in St. John's what kind of league would it be. There would be no team able to compete for the Herder it would be an Eastcoast trophy. Now to the fun part. You people out east are complaining about how dirty the Cats are and money they pay to players which I can't say they do one way or another as I never saw it happen. If teams on the Eastcoast want to be successful like the Cats they have to get off their behinds and fundraise 12 months of the year. These words are going to choke you!! What you are all mad about is and you won't admit it, is, the Cataracts have the best-run Amateur run hockey organization in the province. In the Herder final five of the last nine years speaks volumes and more than 50 fans at a regular season game. Time to call a spade a spade and take of those rose-colored glasses and see things for what they are and not what you want them to be.
If buying Herders and running your team as a semi-professional team is in the best interest of amateur hockey then you need some lessons on what amateur hockey actually is.

There needs to be a level playing field. Not a couple teams with operating budgets in the 100’s of thousands of dollars competing for the Herder every year against teams that have a fraction of that kind of money.

This will be the 14th straight year one of 3 teams will win the Herder. This will be the 3rd year out of the last 4 that the East team with pick ups will get swept by a semi-professional team from central.

You have a league on the West Coast that has good fan support and attendance that want nothing to do with competing for the Herder because of the mess teams like Clarenville and Grand Falls Windsor have made of senior hockey while paying players ridiculous amounts of money while chasing multiple Herders and Allan Cups. Level the playing field. Make it so that 3-4 teams out West can compete with with 4-5 teams on the East coast who can compete with 2-3 teams in central for the Herder. Make it so that we can see a Port Aux Basques win a Herder, then CBS win a Herder the next year. More players get a chance to play for the Herder.

Players deserve to be compensated to an extent. Senior hockey doesn’t need the silliness of players getting paid thousands of dollars to play hockey. If that’s what they want go try out for the Growlers or some other pro league.

Seniorfan
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:14 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:26 pm

Who is getting paid how much? Simple question. Nevermind generalized opinions. Provide some actual evidence if you can.

NLEastHockeyFan
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:58 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:46 pm

Seniorfan wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:26 pm
Who is getting paid how much? Simple question. Nevermind generalized opinions. Provide some actual evidence if you can.
Provide some evidence that no one on the Cats are getting paid significant amounts of money.

santana500
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:07 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:41 am

You have no idea what is being paid. Like I said the east coast can take a page out of the Cataracts organization book. This crap you seem to be hell-bent on will get you nowhere. Cataracts have never been given a break from the league and have shown Newfoundland what a great hockey franchise they are by overcoming obstacles that were put in their way. It is easy to be critical of others but what are teams on the Eastcoast doing to improve their teams, both financial and on the ice. With the business community out east, where is the corporate community? You people should be better off than any Central team. It is so easy to complain but what are the Eastcoast teams doing in the offseason to help themselves. You can't sit on your laurels and expect everything to be handed to you. Great teams have great foundations that's why the Cataracts are successful.

Stadium Fries
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:17 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:25 am

NLEastHockeyFan wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:20 pm
santana500 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:58 pm
In order for hockey outside the overpass to exist players have to get some compensation. Not like on the Eastcoast you can go to a rink and be home in your own bed that night. Players even those from the Central area are not going to leave St. John's for the weekend and not get compensated. If all the high caliber players stayed in St. John's what kind of league would it be. There would be no team able to compete for the Herder it would be an Eastcoast trophy. Now to the fun part. You people out east are complaining about how dirty the Cats are and money they pay to players which I can't say they do one way or another as I never saw it happen. If teams on the Eastcoast want to be successful like the Cats they have to get off their behinds and fundraise 12 months of the year. These words are going to choke you!! What you are all mad about is and you won't admit it, is, the Cataracts have the best-run Amateur run hockey organization in the province. In the Herder final five of the last nine years speaks volumes and more than 50 fans at a regular season game. Time to call a spade a spade and take of those rose-colored glasses and see things for what they are and not what you want them to be.
If buying Herders and running your team as a semi-professional team is in the best interest of amateur hockey then you need some lessons on what amateur hockey actually is.

There needs to be a level playing field. Not a couple teams with operating budgets in the 100’s of thousands of dollars competing for the Herder every year against teams that have a fraction of that kind of money.

This will be the 14th straight year one of 3 teams will win the Herder. This will be the 3rd year out of the last 4 that the East team with pick ups will get swept by a semi-professional team from central.

You have a league on the West Coast that has good fan support and attendance that want nothing to do with competing for the Herder because of the mess teams like Clarenville and Grand Falls Windsor have made of senior hockey while paying players ridiculous amounts of money while chasing multiple Herders and Allan Cups. Level the playing field. Make it so that 3-4 teams out West can compete with with 4-5 teams on the East coast who can compete with 2-3 teams in central for the Herder. Make it so that we can see a Port Aux Basques win a Herder, then CBS win a Herder the next year. More players get a chance to play for the Herder.

Players deserve to be compensated to an extent. Senior hockey doesn’t need the silliness of players getting paid thousands of dollars to play hockey. If that’s what they want go try out for the Growlers or some other pro league.
Well the Red Wings could not ice a team this year. Why ? They could not get enough players. They wanted some money I guess.
Anyway who is whining now. Its not the Cats or their fans for sure.
It’s the Beer Can League fans again. Whining :razz: :lol: :lol: :lol:

royalcat
Posts: 1531
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:05 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:29 am

Great point! The cat’s have been fundraising for 12 months a year this is why the team is successful.They have a great organization and fan support.If the east wants to play they have a much bigger pond to fish for funds.With all the talk about Cat’s paying out money they can because they worked hard to raise funds.As the other guy said get off your ass and go get sponsors.You spend all your time on here running the Cat’s down put that energy into getting some help to the east teams.You say have 3-4 teams out west and 2-3 teams in central play for the Herder against the east?But where are the east going to get the money to pay their players to leave home on the weekends?You are just shooting your trap off because a group out this way can produce a successful team each year with hard work and commitment from its organization.So get off your ass and computer and do something productive NLeasthockeyfan.Make yourself useful and leave the Mighty Cat’s Alone.😘

NLEastHockeyFan
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:58 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:44 am

santana500 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:41 am
You have no idea what is being paid. Like I said the east coast can take a page out of the Cataracts organization book. This crap you seem to be hell-bent on will get you nowhere. Cataracts have never been given a break from the league and have shown Newfoundland what a great hockey franchise they are by overcoming obstacles that were put in their way. It is easy to be critical of others but what are teams on the Eastcoast doing to improve their teams, both financial and on the ice. With the business community out east, where is the corporate community? You people should be better off than any Central team. It is so easy to complain but what are the Eastcoast teams doing in the offseason to help themselves. You can't sit on your laurels and expect everything to be handed to you. Great teams have great foundations that's why the Cataracts are successful.
At least two of the teams out East, the Breakers and Blues are doing the best they possibly can in regards to fundraising and putting a solid product on the ice. I don’t get this notion from some of you out in Central who think there’s an unlimited amount of sponsorship and fundraising opportunities on the East Coast and in St. John’s. There’s simply not. People are taxed more than ever there isn’t as much disposable income to go around.

There are so many groups competing for those limited number of sponsorship and fundraising dollars. Including the Southern Shore, there are 8! That’s right 8 minor hockey associations in the metro area and several of those are some of the largest associations in the province. There’s an 8 team junior hockey league on the Avalon. And that’s not even mentioning AAA teams and other community groups.

So despite you thinking you know better than the people living on the Avalon and running these teams it’s not as easy as it might look. The money for a CBS or SS team to have an operating budget in the 100’s of thousands of dollars like the Cats just isn’t there.

superfan
Posts: 11294
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:22 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:29 am

GWF has always rallied around the Cats and takes great pride in their team . I don't believe for a minute that the Cats are paying the BIG dollars that people like to believe . They have always iced a great team who have always played a great game by doing all the right things .


I don't agree with anyone making statements without any "true" knowledge what so ever.

They are also very engaged with the community in many ways . This is why the community supports them all year long .


…. the team is the community ,and the community is the team .

GenoSniper
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:56 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:18 pm

NLEast is a bigger cry baby then my 2 year old child. If there wasn’t money in central league they would never get players. There just isn’t enough players in central to have a team that could compete with the east coast teams. Like I said if you want to tell me people aren’t getting paid out there I’m good friends with lots of guys in that league and I have no problem telling you the difference.

Why would Short, Cole, Wicks, McGuirk, Lindstrom, Bussey, Yetmam, Simms or anyone who doesn’t live in central travel out here when they could play in St. John’s. If they weren’t getting anything here they wouldn’t be playing out here.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests