No Herder?? Or Is There?

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
AEfan
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:20 pm

Flyer24 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:38 am
We have definitely watched some of the best levels of Senior hockey in this area since Gander joined back in 2012 I think it was. Those first 3-4 years the hockey was fast, very skilled, and entertaining. The Imports were great but so were the locals who came home to play. You cannot compare the caliber to pro hockey, but it was a close as there will ever be in NL. Over the past few years, the games have gotten slower, with less skilled players able to 'keep up' and as a result attendance has declined.

I have no idea what HNL has or has not done, but I know it's terrible that there's no REAL senior hockey in NL anymore. The west coast has 3 teams, only 2 of which are competitive. The Central league is dead. And the East Coast League seems to have 3-4 teams that are capable of winning. Just off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen players that are currently NOT playing Senior Hockey in NL now who would make any team's top line. Says it all about the caliber of the league.

Anyway, enjoy the winter and I plan on catching a game out West and well as East as I simply love watching hockey. Just wish it was the Flyers.
Flyer, those dozen or so players you think of could certainly play on any team in the ECSHL via territory, trade or draft, but the problem is they would want to be paid (assuming they aren’t based on the west coast). I won’t name drop but it isn’t hard to decipher what players those would be. It’s unfortunate, but that’s the way of senior hockey these days

aseyeseesit

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:17 pm

I have no issue with players being paid... the organizations who understand that, raise the money for that 'higher calibre' hockey player. It takes work and committment.
The upside of that committed approach is that in return you get players who are not only better quality, but are completely committed themselves to come out to places like central,(and west in the past), every weekend. And , that is the kind of hockey that actually gets big crowds of faithful fans EVERY week, not just,(maybe) for a FEW games of playoffs - at the end of a season!!
Getting some actual fans who only turn up for playoffs is exactly what happens out east , with their approach by most teams of simply trying to "sustain" the operations - the only exception being those small , hockey communities on the Southern Shore, Hr.Grace and , maybe, recently CBS.
PS. And, a very big other factor of why off the Avalon we don't mind raising money for players to come out here, is because we do not have a big enough population to have senior A hockey without "bringing in" players from the Avalon/East.
( ... I just loved leading scorers last year for the Cats, Danny Wicks and Brandon Bussey, along with Kyle McGuirk, Michael Cole, and defencemen Nichlas Lindstrom and veteran Sam Hounsell - all from 'the east'... And,oh yes, last year the biggest asset the Cats had in winning their 15th Herder was former Cats top scorer,Steve Yetman's older brother - playing-coach Pat Yetman. The Yetman brothers were two of the best... from St.John's).

AEfan

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:58 am

aseyeseesit wrote:
I have no issue with players being paid... the organizations who understand that, raise the money for that 'higher calibre' hockey player. It takes work and committment.
The upside of that committed approach is that in return you get players who are not only better quality, but are completely committed themselves to come out to places like central,(and west in the past), every weekend. And , that is the kind of hockey that actually gets big crowds of faithful fans EVERY week, not just,(maybe) for a FEW games of playoffs - at the end of a season!!
Getting some actual fans who only turn up for playoffs is exactly what happens out east , with their approach by most teams of simply trying to "sustain" the operations - the only exception being those small , hockey communities on the Southern Shore, Hr.Grace and , maybe, recently CBS.
PS. And, a very big other factor of why off the Avalon we don't mind raising money for players to come out here, is because we do not have a big enough population to have senior A hockey without "bringing in" players from the Avalon/East.
( ... I just loved leading scorers last year for the Cats, Danny Wicks and Brandon Bussey, along with Kyle McGuirk, Michael Cole, and defencemen Nichlas Lindstrom and veteran Sam Hounsell - all from 'the east'... And,oh yes, last year the biggest asset the Cats had in winning their 15th Herder was former Cats top scorer,Steve Yetman's older brother - playing-coach Pat Yetman. The Yetman brothers were two of the best... from St.John's).
Glad you have no issue with players being paid. The East league does, however, and that was my original point to Flyer24 about a bunch of guys not playing anywhere at the moment

Stadium Fries

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:34 pm

AEfan wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:58 am
aseyeseesit wrote:
Glad you have no issue with players being paid. The East league does, however, and that was my original point to Flyer24 about a bunch of guys not playing anywhere at the moment
If you think that the East League does not pay players you are in a dream world.

Oh just a fan

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:51 am

How do you know how much he or she knows about the east? You make it seem like you know this person’s identity. Which you don’t l, therefore making your point invalid, or pointless whichever word you want to use. Again on here taking crap, talking about how people in here can’t see without their Green Glasses but yet you’re just as blind too. You can’t see anything outside the overpass. So just give it a rest & just go watch the games you do have. You seem to be happy there’s no hockey here. Which is why I will continue to tell you you’re a loser. Now go get banned again and keep making accounts

Hockey Eyes

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:07 pm

I see on NTV News a report that says Grand Falls says it is entitled to play for the Herder because east teams refused to come out o play them.
They would be team without a league who never played a single game or stepped on the ice ...... going to the final .Amazing ...

titan

Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:59 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:
I see on NTV News a report that says Grand Falls says it is entitled to play for the Herder because east teams refused to come out o play them.
They would be team without a league who never played a single game or stepped on the ice ...... going to the final .Amazing ...
Lol...That's a bit much. I , for one, have no problem with the East playing for the Herder as long as the West wants nothing to do with it (which they don't unless they've changed their mind in the last few weeks) and if they did there should be a play-off between the two leagues.

Unidentified Source

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:10 pm

That has to be one of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen HNL come up with! A team that isn’t in a league, has played no regular season or playoff games, and gets to compete for the Herder? Yes by! The East and West have been in talks for weeks on a championship final between them. From what I was told they have a lot of the details ironed out. Why even allow HNL to stick their nose in there at the 11th hour? The hell with the Herder. Let the Cataracts have an inter squad game for it. There no one here that can tell me this even makes an ounce of sense.

#1BousFan

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:14 pm

Unidentified Source wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:10 pm
That has to be one of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen HNL come up with! A team that isn’t in a league, has played no regular season or playoff games, and gets to compete for the Herder? Yes by! The East and West have been in talks for weeks on a championship final between them. From what I was told they have a lot of the details ironed out. Why even allow HNL to stick their nose in there at the 11th hour? The hell with the Herder. Let the Cataracts have an inter squad game for it. There no one here that can tell me this even makes an ounce of sense.
It makes no sense to me what's so ever lol
Clarenville Caribous 2018 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous--2012 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2011 Allan Cup Champions
Clarenville Caribous- -2010 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2009 Herder Champions

Zekie

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:28 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:

What do the constitution say to it??

• Information