Salary Cap

West Coast Senior Amateur Hockey League - Corner Brook Royals, Deer Lake Red Wings, Stephenville Jets & Port aux Basques Mariners.
geoela
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:53 pm

Seems to me, with all the talk about players going after the big bucks, the team with the most to spend will win it all. Last year the Bous didn't spend what the Wings spent, and they won.....but this year could be different...especially if some of the Bous big guns get lured elsewhere for bigger money. It's happening to the Cee Bees, and other teams also. Maybe it is time for a salary cap. After all, a team with a 200 thousand dollar budget probably won't compete with a team spending 500 thousand dollars on players. And the poor ECSHL teams don't stand a chance against the rich WCSHL teams. Imagine, needing a salary cap to keep things even and controlled in NL senior hockey. Wicked!!! May the deepest pockets win!!

catsfan4

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:23 pm

Mount Pearl is also spending money lol..

HerdFan

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:25 pm

Salary cap is a great idea. Trouble is, no one knows how much any of the teams are spending. Actually writing this sort of thing down creates many complications. If you admit to spending money on players, then you have to report this to the government. There's deductions, taxes, etc. Right now, everyone knows it's happening, but it all happens on the down-low and that's the way it has to stay. That means no salary cap.

redmack

Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:02 pm

geoela wrote:Seems to me, with all the talk about players going after the big bucks, the team with the most to spend will win it all. Last year the Bous didn't spend what the Wings spent, and they won.....but this year could be different...especially if some of the Bous big guns get lured elsewhere for bigger money. It's happening to the Cee Bees, and other teams also. Maybe it is time for a salary cap. After all, a team with a 200 thousand dollar budget probably won't compete with a team spending 500 thousand dollars on players. And the poor ECSHL teams don't stand a chance against the rich WCSHL teams. Imagine, needing a salary cap to keep things even and controlled in NL senior hockey. Wicked!!! May the deepest pockets win!!

Some people on here are so knowledgeable . How would you know that the wings spent more than the bous ? And why would you bring up something that just can't work in this league ? I'm guessing that you're starting to worry about your bous . :roll:
Let's go Wings!!!
Habs Suk!!

GongshowHockey

Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:03 pm

techincally players arent supose to be getting paid on the down low. This is not a semi-pro or pro league.... yet. Yes players do deserve money but no one on this site knows how much each team is spending. other teams in the league might not know. So how can you have a salary cap that way? And the Blades arent the only team spending money in the east!!!! ;-)

Oh and i was told the other day that the east teams are now allowed one import... maybe they might catch up to the west!

geoela

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:17 pm

To Redmack...I have loyalties to no team in the east of west...well, not any more. I am just a plain old senior hockey fan now. I was a Wings fan for a short time last year. That's how I got my info...from the inside of your Wings organization. I know they spent at least 100 thousand dollars more than the Bous. Anyway, that is not an issue with me...I don't care how much they all spend. I just want to see some good hockey. The reason why I don't want to see 1 powerhouse team, and the rest a level or 2 behind is for the good of the league. This 1 horse race would kill the league. You know it. I've seen leagues die like this before. The salary cap thing is a dream of how to make the league stay even. That's all. Wow. Just concerned about the league. That's all. I think we would all miss it...if it ended.

redmack

Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:07 pm

Geoela , yeah you're right about the fact that a cap of sorts would be nice but it just can't work because there's no money being paid out ;-) . I do agree that this will eventually put an end to senior hockey which will be a sad day . It'll probably come sooner than later . If there's any truth to some of these signings this year , look to see financial ruin to at least one team this year because if you don't go to atleast the finals in the west , you will lose money big time . There are two teams in particular digging very deep for one last kick at the can and if they don't succeed , i'd expect one of them to be in serious trouble . JMO
Let's go Wings!!!
Habs Suk!!

• Information