Fatally Flawed

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Zekie
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:00 pm

It is my opinion that hockey at the senior level has been struggling across Canada for a number of years under the framework of HC/HNL. Here in NL, Central West in particular, we seemed to be the exception due to a very high calibre of hockey that attracted a strong fan base.

The changes that have come to the game in recent years from the governing body and a perpetual sequence of debacles within our province has obviously resulted in a loss of appetite for hockey at this level.

Competitive quality Senior hockey in this province ,pretty much since its inception, has always included the use of imports. Politics and perpetual tenures at the helm is also killing the game here in NL.

I understand the principles of accountability & liability but I believe its time for a major overhaul. There has to be flexibility to allow Senior Hockey to be officiated a little differently than novice

I don't think hockey at the Senior Level will ever be successful under the current framework & with the current leadership.

mr.hockey

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:47 pm

You my friend are absolutely right...Its unfortunate it has to come down like this but i knew as i stated in earlier comments that this will be the year senior hockey implodes , and it has... The logistics of travel and the geographical disadvantage for the central west will dictate that only local hockey like the new west coast league will survive. It will be ok on the Avalon due to more fans , bigger area to draw from and sponsors...I feel bad for all the Central west hockey fans because this it it...It's done now...Hopefully hnl can finally do something good about it all. The days of flying players in and building a team is all but done...The economy isn't the greatest either.. I think that Central west should start a league like the west coast and name a new Trophy to play off for at the end of the season and then pick a team from both leagues to play for the herder with strengthening players... I wouldn't waste anymore time trying to keep it going ..This league for all kinds of reasons has been dying the last few seasons ...So move on make new plans and build something local , new and community based and it can work and there will be a pretty good brand of hockey to watch..Good luck to you all ..

The Bottom Line

Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:00 pm

HOCKEY
NO
LONGER

goboosgo

Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Zekie, you have some very good points in your post.

For anything to work off the Avalon I feel imports are a must due to the geographic layout. All the emphasis being switched to the Allan Cup didn't help. The way the games were officiated, as someone said earlier applying the rules the same in senior as in minor hockey also drove fans say from the rinks. HNL have been trying to drive the Central West League out of business for years now and it certainly looks like they succeeded. The fiasco with the Herder last year drove fans away in Clarenville. All we can say now is "It was good while it lasted".

Zekie

Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:34 pm

The Bottom Line wrote:
HOCKEY
NO
LONGER
Been watching your acronym for a couple years now. Took this long for your prophecy to come true. Looks like HNL has finally succeeded in the demise out this way.

Beam me up Scotty!! :-D

top cheese

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:35 am

Senior Hockey is a small town phenomena across Canada. it has never had a niche in a big city. It will never work in St. John's and that has been proven over the years. What's more is that with the provinces terrible economic conditions there just isn't sponsorship money available for any program let alone senior hockey.

This province had a great senior hockey league probably the best the country has ever scene. It was thrown away by typical newfoundland politics, inept management, and selfishness.

Petr Klima

Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:47 am

Mr. Hockey, you are flawed my friend if you feel that the east will bring fans to the rinks, as proven in the past the fans or sponsors have no interest. Besides your selfishness to have a team in Harbour Grace and you repeated posts of the same things no one else seems to share your views.
Most of the people want hockey for all not a demise of one to create a better other.
You my friend have dreams of grandeur that will be just that.
Also don't reply with your same spiel about the central league all have read it many times and all know you biased opinion
As my friend Tomcod says "stay Tuned""

The Bottom Line

Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:38 am

Zekie wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:34 pm
The Bottom Line wrote:
HOCKEY
NO
LONGER
Been watching your acronym for a couple years now. Took this long for your prophecy to come true. Looks like HNL has finally succeeded in the demise out this way.

Beam me up Scotty!! :-D

It took them that long to shag things up. One would think with some of the best senior hockey in Canada, HNL would be promoting and bragging about it as if they had something to do with it. With national audiences like the AC in clarenville and the curling in mile one, they could have been all over it. Then again, the teams in the CWSHL probably would have been forces to it pay for it anyway.

mr.hockey

Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:00 pm

You ( Petra Klima )are in the dreamland not me...I just predicted what was going to happen right from the beginning. People who run the teams and fund raise there brains out are sick and bored of playing in a three team league which was heading south for 5 years... Regards to sponsors and fans and volunteers and players wanting to play there and full houses every game i guess there is only one place to get that...and yes you guessed it Hr.grace.. So why sit around and be down on the ceebees why not say well you know what they are doing something right we should Learn from what they built and copy it and you will be successful...Nothing else to say here ..The fat lady sang ..its all over... So the best thing for everyone to do now is ask where did the central west go wrong and why are certain teams so succsesful playing in the lesser talented Avalon east ..because they accepted that the provincial league just won't work anymore...people need a refreshing change and now it has happened....you snooze you lose... And when it came to growing the central west someone was snoozing...Over and out!!!

aseyeseesit

Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Mr.Hockey , we all hope you will stick to your declaration that you will finally now "be gone" and be "over and out" for good on this site.
I agree completely with Petr Klima... You don't have the slightest grasp of the hockey realities in the far-flung parts of this province.
And, by the way, contrary to your claim as to how "successful" the Avalon hockey is, most of the teams historically in the "pick-up" style hockey endeavour in the Avalon east - which was shattered in short order(in less than two seasons) by the CeeBees "player pay" approach - never had many actual fans at any time during a regular season, except at playoff time. So, don't be so "ignorant", (i.e., be a person who just 'does not know'), of reality and try to gloss how successful things are on the east coast.

• Information