New league rules !!

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
SAMCRO
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:25 pm

The puck has not dropped to start this league yet.. Doubt it ever will..
Where are the players coming from??There is an old saying "you get what you pay for"
This will be nothing more than a Rec League. Would like to see the BOUS player roster..
Thought the East League played during the week not weekends..When will details be
released its already mid October.

Oh just a fan

Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Hahaha if they don’t pay players this league will never work. And by work I mean be good enough to make fans actually want to go watch. Therefore making no ticket sales and never working.

I don’t see the actual problem with paying players within reason. To ask these young men who are mostly students or just starting families to take every weekend off to travel halfway across the province to play and risk injury for free is crazy.

gamer750

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:38 am

now I see why the crowd up along are laughing at the hockey situation in NL
the higher up are F****d. no clue.......................

madness

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:56 pm

SAMCRO wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:30 pm
Do we really have a league?Will paid players be allowed? According to another post the Gander
Flyers have already signed an Import Goalie;; Where are they playing? I am sure this person is
not coming for free..Here we go again "One -Up=Man- Ship alive and well..I read somewhere
and they were quoting "Ivan" the Bous were only expecting about 50% of last year's players
returning AND Russell & Churchill were on the doubtful list..The reasoning behind the statement
was NO PAID PLAYERS..Looks like we are heading towards a "BROWN ENVELOPE" league..
Stay tuned....
The import Goalie is actually from CBS. And i doubt he is playing for free. JUst finished up somewhere in Europe from what i hear

The Puck

Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:53 am

Everyone knows that some players in the east league has got paid why would some of them not look to play in the cwshl last season then. I am fine with paid players but don't go nuts with it because I know one player getting 600 a game that is nuts.

abc123

Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:29 am

I have no problem with paying players but it should be all or None! Not this some teams can and some can’t!

aseyeseesit

Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:33 am

It may be accepted by many generally that it is alright to pay players, but the reality is that in order to pay players, teams have to be very committed to raising money - it is not easy. It is a lot of slogging work.
Historically the east teams have not done any fund-raising. So, they are in no position to pay anyone really. In central there are dozens and dozens of community businesses throughout each central team's region who 'sponsor' the team - some paying thousands of dollars for jersey logos, rink board advertising, website advertising, game programs advertising. And, 100' s, and more even , of area residents,and groups buy 'lottery' tickets for big money prizes - 10's of thousands of dollars. and go to Bingos, attend auction nights and golf events to contribute money. So, lots of work and many, many volunteers etc. Then, there are the ticket sales to the actual hockey games...
So, it may be easy to "say" players can be paid, it is not so easy to "do" it.

abc123

Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:51 pm

I am well aware of what is involved to pay players! I am from Clarenville and have supported to Caribous for many years! You are missing my point of all or none! It is not right to have some paid and others not playing in the same league. I know it is technically two leagues but at the end of the day, they are Senior Hockey players playing for the Herder!

aseyeseesit wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:33 am
It may be accepted by many generally that it is alright to pay players, but the reality is that in order to pay players, teams have to be very committed to raising money - it is not easy. It is a lot of slogging work.
Historically the east teams have not done any fund-raising. So, they are in no position to pay anyone really. In central there are dozens and dozens of community businesses throughout each central team's region who 'sponsor' the team - some paying thousands of dollars for jersey logos, rink board advertising, website advertising, game programs advertising. And, 100' s, and more even , of area residents,and groups buy 'lottery' tickets for big money prizes - 10's of thousands of dollars. and go to Bingos, attend auction nights and golf events to contribute money. So, lots of work and many, many volunteers etc. Then, there are the ticket sales to the actual hockey games...
So, it may be easy to "say" players can be paid, it is not so easy to "do" it.

The Puck

Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:52 pm

The herder won't work with two teams paying players and 5 teams not paying players so HNL will say their biggest money grab failed so next year th3ry will change the rules again I guess.

up the bay

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:20 am

......justin pender is back with the Bous this season..... they say they're not paying players this season so does this mean he's playing for free???

• Information