No Herder?? Or Is There?

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Hockey Eyes
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:40 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:45 pm

No it wouldn't work. you wouldn't get decent HNL trained refs and more importantly ...you wouldn't get proper insurance ... a league like that attracts the dregs of the hockey world. It is from a hockey era... now gratefully gone ....
By the way ... HNL did everything it could to keep hockey alive in central but the problems couldn'ty be overcome ....HNL wanted a province wide league but not a league that was a bidding wore.... That's what happened in central . Too much money and money for too many players...Overpay third liners and the next thing there will only be a couple of teams left ....and no other teams looking to play in a league with them ... Just my opinion ....

Flyer24
Posts: 764
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:28 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:38 am

We have definitely watched some of the best levels of Senior hockey in this area since Gander joined back in 2012 I think it was. Those first 3-4 years the hockey was fast, very skilled, and entertaining. The Imports were great but so were the locals who came home to play. You cannot compare the caliber to pro hockey, but it was a close as there will ever be in NL. Over the past few years, the games have gotten slower, with less skilled players able to 'keep up' and as a result attendance has declined.

I have no idea what HNL has or has not done, but I know it's terrible that there's no REAL senior hockey in NL anymore. The west coast has 3 teams, only 2 of which are competitive. The Central league is dead. And the East Coast League seems to have 3-4 teams that are capable of winning. Just off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen players that are currently NOT playing Senior Hockey in NL now who would make any team's top line. Says it all about the caliber of the league.

Anyway, enjoy the winter and I plan on catching a game out West and well as East as I simply love watching hockey. Just wish it was the Flyers.

User avatar
puckit
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:59 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:41 am

NLHockeyInsider3 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:19 pm
What a joke these people are. To say that any senior hockey played in this province since the 80’s is at a caliber close to even ECHL or get this the AHL ( a top five league in the world) is just asinine. You guys can blame everyone else all you want for having no hockey in central this season but at the end of the day the blame sits squarely on the Cataracts and Flyers. It’s easy to play the blame game, enjoy your Intermediate league. I’ll enjoy the ECSHL playoffs, SJJHL playoffs; which by the way seen their final draw better than the Herder games out in central last season (true hockey fans eh?), and hopefully another long playoff run by the Growlers.
What a joke you are! This is the reason I stopped posting several years ago. Impossible to have an intelligent unbiased discussion related to local hockey because of people like you. You cannot see the forest for the trees, just resentful of the fact that there was quality hockey being played west of the Avalon. So now, you can go blow your own little horn all you like. You seem to get a lot of pleasure out of it. This is my last response to anything you post. I have presented the truth as I, and many others, see it. I also encourage other members of this site to stop replying to your vitriol as it does nothing but stoke your own ego. Goodbye and Go Growlers !
If at first you don't succeed....PUCKIT!

AEfan
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:52 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:20 pm

Flyer24 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:38 am
We have definitely watched some of the best levels of Senior hockey in this area since Gander joined back in 2012 I think it was. Those first 3-4 years the hockey was fast, very skilled, and entertaining. The Imports were great but so were the locals who came home to play. You cannot compare the caliber to pro hockey, but it was a close as there will ever be in NL. Over the past few years, the games have gotten slower, with less skilled players able to 'keep up' and as a result attendance has declined.

I have no idea what HNL has or has not done, but I know it's terrible that there's no REAL senior hockey in NL anymore. The west coast has 3 teams, only 2 of which are competitive. The Central league is dead. And the East Coast League seems to have 3-4 teams that are capable of winning. Just off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen players that are currently NOT playing Senior Hockey in NL now who would make any team's top line. Says it all about the caliber of the league.

Anyway, enjoy the winter and I plan on catching a game out West and well as East as I simply love watching hockey. Just wish it was the Flyers.
Flyer, those dozen or so players you think of could certainly play on any team in the ECSHL via territory, trade or draft, but the problem is they would want to be paid (assuming they aren’t based on the west coast). I won’t name drop but it isn’t hard to decipher what players those would be. It’s unfortunate, but that’s the way of senior hockey these days

aseyeseesit
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:46 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:17 pm

I have no issue with players being paid... the organizations who understand that, raise the money for that 'higher calibre' hockey player. It takes work and committment.
The upside of that committed approach is that in return you get players who are not only better quality, but are completely committed themselves to come out to places like central,(and west in the past), every weekend. And , that is the kind of hockey that actually gets big crowds of faithful fans EVERY week, not just,(maybe) for a FEW games of playoffs - at the end of a season!!
Getting some actual fans who only turn up for playoffs is exactly what happens out east , with their approach by most teams of simply trying to "sustain" the operations - the only exception being those small , hockey communities on the Southern Shore, Hr.Grace and , maybe, recently CBS.
PS. And, a very big other factor of why off the Avalon we don't mind raising money for players to come out here, is because we do not have a big enough population to have senior A hockey without "bringing in" players from the Avalon/East.
( ... I just loved leading scorers last year for the Cats, Danny Wicks and Brandon Bussey, along with Kyle McGuirk, Michael Cole, and defencemen Nichlas Lindstrom and veteran Sam Hounsell - all from 'the east'... And,oh yes, last year the biggest asset the Cats had in winning their 15th Herder was former Cats top scorer,Steve Yetman's older brother - playing-coach Pat Yetman. The Yetman brothers were two of the best... from St.John's).

AEfan
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:52 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:58 am

aseyeseesit wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:17 pm
I have no issue with players being paid... the organizations who understand that, raise the money for that 'higher calibre' hockey player. It takes work and committment.
The upside of that committed approach is that in return you get players who are not only better quality, but are completely committed themselves to come out to places like central,(and west in the past), every weekend. And , that is the kind of hockey that actually gets big crowds of faithful fans EVERY week, not just,(maybe) for a FEW games of playoffs - at the end of a season!!
Getting some actual fans who only turn up for playoffs is exactly what happens out east , with their approach by most teams of simply trying to "sustain" the operations - the only exception being those small , hockey communities on the Southern Shore, Hr.Grace and , maybe, recently CBS.
PS. And, a very big other factor of why off the Avalon we don't mind raising money for players to come out here, is because we do not have a big enough population to have senior A hockey without "bringing in" players from the Avalon/East.
( ... I just loved leading scorers last year for the Cats, Danny Wicks and Brandon Bussey, along with Kyle McGuirk, Michael Cole, and defencemen Nichlas Lindstrom and veteran Sam Hounsell - all from 'the east'... And,oh yes, last year the biggest asset the Cats had in winning their 15th Herder was former Cats top scorer,Steve Yetman's older brother - playing-coach Pat Yetman. The Yetman brothers were two of the best... from St.John's).
Glad you have no issue with players being paid. The East league does, however, and that was my original point to Flyer24 about a bunch of guys not playing anywhere at the moment

Stadium Fries
Posts: 613
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:17 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:34 pm

AEfan wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:58 am
aseyeseesit wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:17 pm
I have no issue with players being paid... the organizations who understand that, raise the money for that 'higher calibre' hockey player. It takes work and committment.
The upside of that committed approach is that in return you get players who are not only better quality, but are completely committed themselves to come out to places like central,(and west in the past), every weekend. And , that is the kind of hockey that actually gets big crowds of faithful fans EVERY week, not just,(maybe) for a FEW games of playoffs - at the end of a season!!
Getting some actual fans who only turn up for playoffs is exactly what happens out east , with their approach by most teams of simply trying to "sustain" the operations - the only exception being those small , hockey communities on the Southern Shore, Hr.Grace and , maybe, recently CBS.
PS. And, a very big other factor of why off the Avalon we don't mind raising money for players to come out here, is because we do not have a big enough population to have senior A hockey without "bringing in" players from the Avalon/East.
( ... I just loved leading scorers last year for the Cats, Danny Wicks and Brandon Bussey, along with Kyle McGuirk, Michael Cole, and defencemen Nichlas Lindstrom and veteran Sam Hounsell - all from 'the east'... And,oh yes, last year the biggest asset the Cats had in winning their 15th Herder was former Cats top scorer,Steve Yetman's older brother - playing-coach Pat Yetman. The Yetman brothers were two of the best... from St.John's).
Glad you have no issue with players being paid. The East league does, however, and that was my original point to Flyer24 about a bunch of guys not playing anywhere at the moment
If you think that the East League does not pay players you are in a dream world.

NLHockeyInsider5
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:39 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:48 pm

puckit wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:41 am
NLHockeyInsider3 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:19 pm
What a joke these people are. To say that any senior hockey played in this province since the 80’s is at a caliber close to even ECHL or get this the AHL ( a top five league in the world) is just asinine. You guys can blame everyone else all you want for having no hockey in central this season but at the end of the day the blame sits squarely on the Cataracts and Flyers. It’s easy to play the blame game, enjoy your Intermediate league. I’ll enjoy the ECSHL playoffs, SJJHL playoffs; which by the way seen their final draw better than the Herder games out in central last season (true hockey fans eh?), and hopefully another long playoff run by the Growlers.
What a joke you are! This is the reason I stopped posting several years ago. Impossible to have an intelligent unbiased discussion related to local hockey because of people like you. You cannot see the forest for the trees, just resentful of the fact that there was quality hockey being played west of the Avalon. So now, you can go blow your own little horn all you like. You seem to get a lot of pleasure out of it. This is my last response to anything you post. I have presented the truth as I, and many others, see it. I also encourage other members of this site to stop replying to your vitriol as it does nothing but stoke your own ego. Goodbye and Go Growlers !
What a crock!

“Intelligent unbiased discussion related to local hockey”? That’s not possible for Cataract fans. They’re not capable of taking off their green coloured glasses and being unbiased. I’m sure a lot of people on here would agree with me. Biggest homers I’ve ever encountered.

And I’m the reason you don’t post on here? Here we go again with the blame game, always someone else’s fault. No different than blaming everyone and every other organization but your own’s for not having a league to play in this winter. Again, always someone else’s fault.

Your knowledge or lack there of became quite evident when you compared the caliber of play of NL senior hockey to the AHL. Asinine.

NLHockeyInsider5
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:39 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:50 pm

Stadium Fries wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:34 pm
AEfan wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:58 am
aseyeseesit wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:17 pm
I have no issue with players being paid... the organizations who understand that, raise the money for that 'higher calibre' hockey player. It takes work and committment.
The upside of that committed approach is that in return you get players who are not only better quality, but are completely committed themselves to come out to places like central,(and west in the past), every weekend. And , that is the kind of hockey that actually gets big crowds of faithful fans EVERY week, not just,(maybe) for a FEW games of playoffs - at the end of a season!!
Getting some actual fans who only turn up for playoffs is exactly what happens out east , with their approach by most teams of simply trying to "sustain" the operations - the only exception being those small , hockey communities on the Southern Shore, Hr.Grace and , maybe, recently CBS.
PS. And, a very big other factor of why off the Avalon we don't mind raising money for players to come out here, is because we do not have a big enough population to have senior A hockey without "bringing in" players from the Avalon/East.
( ... I just loved leading scorers last year for the Cats, Danny Wicks and Brandon Bussey, along with Kyle McGuirk, Michael Cole, and defencemen Nichlas Lindstrom and veteran Sam Hounsell - all from 'the east'... And,oh yes, last year the biggest asset the Cats had in winning their 15th Herder was former Cats top scorer,Steve Yetman's older brother - playing-coach Pat Yetman. The Yetman brothers were two of the best... from St.John's).
Glad you have no issue with players being paid. The East league does, however, and that was my original point to Flyer24 about a bunch of guys not playing anywhere at the moment
If you think that the East League does not pay players you are in a dream world.
AEFan is actually quite knowledgeable of the happenings in the ECSHL unlike yourself. Players getting paid must be true because you said so, right? :roll:

Oh just a fan
Posts: 848
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:03 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:51 am

How do you know how much he or she knows about the east? You make it seem like you know this person’s identity. Which you don’t l, therefore making your point invalid, or pointless whichever word you want to use. Again on here taking crap, talking about how people in here can’t see without their Green Glasses but yet you’re just as blind too. You can’t see anything outside the overpass. So just give it a rest & just go watch the games you do have. You seem to be happy there’s no hockey here. Which is why I will continue to tell you you’re a loser. Now go get banned again and keep making accounts

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests