Daniel Ryder charged in robbery

West Coast Senior Amateur Hockey League - Corner Brook Royals, Deer Lake Red Wings, Stephenville Jets & Port aux Basques Mariners.
Harem Scarem
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:15 am

Police report former junior star turns himself in after hold-up at Bonavista convenience store

ST. JOHN'S
ROBIN SHORT
The Telegram

He was once touted to be a better hockey prospect than his older brother, a six-year NHL veteran. He is former 80-point scorer in junior hockey, an Ontario Hockey League playoff MVP and winner of the Wayne Gretzky Award.

He was among a select group of players invited to try out for Canada's national junior team just three years ago.

In 2005, the Calgary Flames made him the 74th pick in the NHL Draft (Los Angeles Kings goalie Jonathan Quick, recently named to the U.S. Olympic team, went 72nd).

Now, however, the story surrounding troubled hockey star Daniel Ryder takes a new twist when the 22-year-old from Bonavista is charged with armed robbery.

RCMP Sgt. Wayne Newell in a press release issued Thursday morning said that late Wednesday charges were laid against Ryder who was schedule to appear in court in Clarenville 9:30 a.m. Thursday morning.

Ryder was held in custody overnight. He faces charges of robbery, using a disguise with intent to commit an indictable offence, using a firearm in the commission of an offence, and theft under $5,000.

Ryder reportedly turned himself into the Bonavista RCMP detachment Wednesday afternoon. The crime occurred Tuesday night.

According to an RCMP news release, a male entered a Red Circle convenience store in Bonavista Tuesday evening, carrying a white shopping bag. He informed the lone cashier he had a gun.

The suspect had his face partially covered by a black scarf, and was wearing what appeared to be several layers of clothing, including a grey hooded sweater and a blue Ultramar jacket.

The suspect demanded cigarettes, although Newell could not confirm the amount.

Ryder came to prominence at the AAA midget level as a 14-year-old star with the Tri-Pen Frost and the province's 2003 Canada Winter Games team.

Two years later, and a first-round OHL draft pick, he was a starter on the Peterborough Petes and went on to become one of the top 10 scorers in the storied franchise's history.

The first red flag on Ryder's career came in 2006 when he reported to the national junior team's summer evaluation camp in poor shape.

Despite a sizzling start to the 2006-07 season that saw him score 24 goals and assist on 35 others through 29 games, Ryder was not invited back to the junior squad's final camp prior to Christmas. When he turned pro in 2007-08 with the AHL's Quad City Flames, after signing a three-year entry level contract that called for a $225,000 signing bonus, Ryder walked out on the team after just six games and was subsequently suspended by Calgary.

"He has to make the decision," Flames GM Darryl Sutter said at the time, "if he wants to make the commitment and the sacrifice to be a hockey player ... a professional hockey player. He hasn't done that yet."

Last season, Ryder started the season with the AHL Flames, and had nine points through 19 games. Still, Calgary optioned him to Las Vegas of the ECHL.

That stint lasted but four games, with rumours of damage to a hotel circulating.

Loaned to the Boston organization, Ryder closed out the season appearing in 20 games for the AHL's Providence Bruins.

He hasn't skated since.

Caribous insider

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

I think everyone should leave young Mr. Ryder and his family alone to deal with his troubles. The last thing Danial or the family need is a large thread on this site discussing his problems. Give the family some respect and privacy.

I wish Danial all the best in his efforts to get his life in order.

C.I.

husky

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:09 pm

CI, no breach of his or families privacy there. Just a simple cut and paste from teh telegram online site. I'm sure if (I mean as soon as) things get out of hand with the childish comments and the internet know it alls the admin will promplty lock the thread or just delete it all together.
Madder than a keebler elf demoted to fudge packer!

Windsor 2009

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:09 pm

Daniel is a trouble person and i am not going to tear him down because he needs serious help. I will not speculate his problems but he has them . No one falls from grace this way for no reason. He did'nt need to do what he done because I am sure his big brother Michael would help him if he had let him.

Caribous insider

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:12 pm

husky wrote:CI, no breach of his or families privacy there. Just a simple cut and paste from teh telegram online site. I'm sure if (I mean as soon as) things get out of hand with the childish comments and the internet know it alls the admin will promplty lock the thread or just delete it all together.
I realize that......my post was not directed at you personally.......I just dont think the family needs any further distractions, thats all.
Last edited by Caribous insider on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harem Scarem

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:13 pm

Caribous insider wrote:I think everyone should leave young Mr. Ryder and his family alone to deal with his troubles. The last thing Danial or the family need is a large thread on this site discussing his problems. Give the family some respect and privacy.

C.I.
The story is in the western star, evening telegram & national news. I doubt adding the story to this hockey site will make much of a difference. He is a public figure and it will be talked about. It was not added to this site to disrespect the family, it was added so people can see that even these guys with so much talent and promise in life can go through very difficult times and lose their way. I hope he can get his life back on track.

Caribous insider

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Harem Scarem wrote:
Caribous insider wrote:I think everyone should leave young Mr. Ryder and his family alone to deal with his troubles. The last thing Danial or the family need is a large thread on this site discussing his problems. Give the family some respect and privacy.

C.I.
The story is in the western star, evening telegram & national news. I doubt adding the story to this hockey site will make much of a difference. He is a public figure and it will be talked about. It was not added to this site to disrespect the family, it was added so people can see that even these guys with so much talent and promise in life can go through very difficult times and lose their way. I hope he can get his life back on track.

The difference is that people cant comment on the story in the Star or the telegram and in my humble opinion, no matter what anyones intent is with their comments, I bet the Ryder family would not like the idea of an open discussion on Danials problens here on this site.

Thats my opinion!

rick

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:31 pm

anyone can comment , but remember, you take full responsability for what you say..

Harem Scarem

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:46 pm

Caribous insider wrote:
Harem Scarem wrote:

C.I.

The difference is that people cant comment on the story in the Star or the telegram and in my humble opinion, no matter what anyones intent is with their comments, I bet the Ryder family would not like the idea of an open discussion on Danials problens here on this site.

Thats my opinion!
I know where you are coming from but people will talk. The Western Star, Telegram and all other national news web sites have comment sections so there is a good chance that there will be comments made on those sites as well. Hard to avoid the public when you are a public figure even if it is on a smaller scale like Daniel.

Langerfan

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:53 pm

C.I.
I think this is the first time I have ever agreed with one of your posts. I also think that Daniel's problems should not be the subject of discussion or debate on this site.

• Information