mt. pearl --torbay

East Coast Senior Hockey League - Teams include CeeBees, Breakers, Eagles, Caps & Blues
snowflake
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:25 pm

4 to 1 for the blades first period

nlhockeyfan

Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Even though the score was lopsided after one, it didnt really reflect the play. NE had tons of chances, but couldnt put one in. They are a hard working team and are hard to root against, but the blades tonight were a hard team to cheer for. I was a breakers fan last year so CBN were the automatic rivals. I went into this year just hoping to see some good hockey so Im not biased....Power is a PUSSY!! Turtled in the 1st. Hedges and a NE dman were roughing it up so he challenged hedges , dropped the gloves and took a 2 hander on the leg. Power saw this and was ready to hop over the bench until he was grabbed...as if he would do anything. Then Hedges goes off the ice challenging fans that heckled him. 3rd period, Gale challenges Connolly...kind of a mismatch...until Butt steps in and challenges him. Connolly dont go, so Butt takes a two hander to his leg. Great win for the Blades I guess....

JustUs

Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:57 pm

I have to agree - a little disappointed with the Blades tonight with the cheap shots. The two-hander by Hedges was brutal as well as the two-hander that Connolly took (although he is an agitator it was not justified). Gale should pick on someone his own size rather than challenging the smallest player on the other team and then imitating a chicken because Conolly did not go.
I'm not biased since I am usually a Blades fan - but don't like to see the cheap stuff.

CBS

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:17 pm

I agree with some of the comments but did you not all see the cross check to the face Hedges took.

JustUs

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:21 pm

CBS - I did not see the cross check to the face of Hedges. Was it intentional and dirty?

CBS

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:28 pm

Dirty... The only thing that I say really out of wack tonight was the Butt slash. I didn't understand that. Out of character for him for sure.

nlhockeyfan

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:55 pm

I never saw the cross check on Hedges . I saw the two of them get their sticks up though. If he was bloodied and cut, then he shouldn't have fought, but he didnt need to follow him to center and lay the hack on him...and especially shouldnt have stopped to challenge fans lol.

CBS

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:58 pm

He didn't challenge the fans he would have words with beer drinkings yelling things out. Terry Ryan even spoke up and said something to the half drunk guys.

rick

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:59 pm

thats hedgey for yah! lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! always good for a laugh

Hockey Eyes

Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:43 am

I was at the Mount Pearl -Torbay game and was a bit disappointed. I thought Torbay deserved to win in Mount Pearl Wednesday night but let down this evening . There is a wonderful phrase from English football about a team " holding its shape". That means essentially sticking to the game plan and not running around. The Eagles tonight lost their "shape" in the first period. Mount Pearl is such a good team the Eagles really have to keep it together to have a shot .

Torbay also has to develop a power play. The league is such that you have to take advantage of at least SOME man advantages. Twice tonight Torbay gave up goals after failing to score on a power play. One of those was a five minute power play. Also taking a penalty in the offensive zone drives me crazy . I can only imagine what it does to a coach.

Torbay has work to do. So does Mount Pearl. The Blades still have discipline issues and a couple of players they need to get under control.

Its an interesting season though with the " game" still on the table. As an aside with Brazil gone I can't see how Bell Island can finish out the year. Players just will not go there and fans aren't going to get on a ferry to go watch a hockey game.

Finally ..I am told by someone who would know that Randy Piercey and Andrew McKim are in Qatar running a hockey school for serious coin. I played rec hockey a couple of years ago with a fellow who worked in the oil biz and he played hockey over there. He said the teams had to have a certain number of players from the area on the team but there were imports. One team company brought in three Russians and gave them jobs as electricians. Two forwards and a defenceman. My friend by the way proudly showed me a letter from the league in English and Arabic telling him he and a couple of other team mates were suspended. He said the caliber of the league was not high but it was a lot of fun although there was no beer in the dressing room..

• Information