Why is Joe still president?

East Coast Senior Hockey League - Teams include CeeBees, Breakers, Eagles, Caps & Blues
kavanagh

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:18 pm

I have somewhat followed Sr hockey for the last 6 or 7 years, and followed it religiously this year with my hometown team being added to the mix out east. One thing i caught onto very quickly was that unless you live east of Stravenger drive, your not a big fan of Joe's approach to running the AESHL. Granted the league is still afloat so he must be doing something right, not a lot, but something, however it seems he leaves a lot to be desired. I like the idea of a draft but until the west joins its only holding our league back, i like revenue sharing, but it has to be done fairly, if you make most of the money you should get a bigger chuck, at times he has the right idea in mind.

I look at how well run the St John's Junior league is, a strong 7 team league with a 11 person board of directors. Now although the regular season doesn't draw as many fans as it once did, play-off games are packed, the hockey is competitive, and you very rarely hear anything negative above the administrative side of this league.

All of this raises a large number of questions; Why can they only put together a 4 person board? Why is Joe allowed to make decisions time after time that only benefit one particular team? the list goes on and on, but the biggest question in my mind is why in the name of god is Joe still at the helm??? There are so many great hockey minds in NL, and a lot live hear on the Avalon, someone please explain to me why someone else has not stepped up to take this league to the next level.

hockeybuff

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:23 pm

kavanagh wrote:I have somewhat followed Sr hockey for the last 6 or 7 years, and followed it religiously this year with my hometown team being added to the mix out east. One thing i caught onto very quickly was that unless you live east of Stravenger drive, your not a big fan of Joe's approach to running the AESHL. Granted the league is still afloat so he must be doing something right, not a lot, but something, however it seems he leaves a lot to be desired. I like the idea of a draft but until the west joins its only holding our league back, i like revenue sharing, but it has to be done fairly, if you make most of the money you should get a bigger chuck, at times he has the right idea in mind.

I look at how well run the St John's Junior league is, a strong 7 team league with a 11 person board of directors. Now although the regular season doesn't draw as many fans as it once did, play-off games are packed, the hockey is competitive, and you very rarely hear anything negative above the administrative side of this league.

All of this raises a large number of questions; Why can they only put together a 4 person board? Why is Joe allowed to make decisions time after time that only benefit one particular team? the list goes on and on, but the biggest question in my mind is why in the name of god is Joe still at the helm??? There are so many great hockey minds in NL, and a lot live hear on the Avalon, someone please explain to me why someone else has not stepped up to take this league to the next level.
kavanagh you may be right in most of what you say. Having said all that the answer lies in committment. Joe may not be the best out there but no one wants to dedicated the amount of time it takes to run a league. Your Junior League as good as it is operates basically the same way as the AESHL. Draft and feeder system and monies all in one pot. A senior league shouldn't operate that way but if you only want to operate like a beer league it is fine. If you want to operate on a higher level like the WCSHL you have to operate on a independant basis. Get your own sponsors, do your own fundraising and have no draft at all. Everything in the AESHL seems to be too dependant on a central body. Why are there only four? Easy answer is that most people don't really give a damn.

kavanagh

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:59 pm

hockeybuff wrote:
kavanagh wrote:I have somewhat followed Sr hockey for the last 6 or 7 years, and followed it religiously this year with my hometown team being added to the mix out east. One thing i caught onto very quickly was that unless you live east of Stravenger drive, your not a big fan of Joe's approach to running the AESHL. Granted the league is still afloat so he must be doing something right, not a lot, but something, however it seems he leaves a lot to be desired. I like the idea of a draft but until the west joins its only holding our league back, i like revenue sharing, but it has to be done fairly, if you make most of the money you should get a bigger chuck, at times he has the right idea in mind.

kavanagh you may be right in most of what you say. Having said all that the answer lies in committment. Joe may not be the best out there but no one wants to dedicated the amount of time it takes to run a league. Your Junior League as good as it is operates basically the same way as the AESHL. Draft and feeder system and monies all in one pot. A senior league shouldn't operate that way but if you only want to operate like a beer league it is fine. If you want to operate on a higher level like the WCSHL you have to operate on a independant basis. Get your own sponsors, do your own fundraising and have no draft at all. Everything in the AESHL seems to be too dependant on a central body. Why are there only four? Easy answer is that most people don't really give a damn.

Some valid points, but i think your wrong on revenue sharing not being good enough for Senior hockey! Seems to work in the NHL, the AESHL just needs to do it a little more fairly.

hockeybuff

Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:06 pm

kavanagh wrote:
hockeybuff wrote:

Some valid points, but i think your wrong on revenue sharing not being good enough for Senior hockey! Seems to work in the NHL, the AESHL just needs to do it a little more fairly.
I don't expect we will ever agree on this point but anyway here goes. Revenue Sharing Only Makes Lazy People. Why work at something when you can get it FREE. BEER LEAGUE attitude buddy. Everyone gets a free ride and status quo will always be the over-riding factor. Two strong teams and no one else with a chance to grow. That is why the East is loosing so many good players. Ask the one's who are already gone and don't say its just about money. Ray Dalton said it plainly in the March edition of Newfoundland Hockey Scene. All those I have talked to say basically the same thing. Sure they get some bucks but its a lot more than that.

kavanagh

Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:17 pm

hockeybuff wrote: don't expect we will ever agree on this point but anyway here goes. Revenue Sharing Only Makes Lazy People. Why work at something when you can get it FREE. BEER LEAGUE attitude buddy. Everyone gets a free ride and status quo will always be the over-riding factor. Two strong teams and no one else with a chance to grow. That is why the East is loosing so many good players. Ask the one's who are already gone and don't say its just about money. Ray Dalton said it plainly in the March edition of Newfoundland Hockey Scene. All those I have talked to say basically the same thing. Sure they get some bucks but its a lot more than that.

Your probably right, we will probably not agree on this topic, or many topics for that matter, specially when your main arguments are just silly cliché's with little meaning, like "beer league attitude", again why does it work in the NHL? and why is revenue sharing known for saving the NHL over the last number of years?

We will agree on the fact that the way the AESHL does revenue sharing doesn't seem to be the most effective plan, but it would be altered to do so. Its meant to keep troubled teams afloat in hard times, not to pay everyone's bills forever, why would teams work? i don't think anyone who volunteer's to run a sr team does so with the goal of finishing second last. The goal of Revenue sharing is to give you some security, but not to allow you to ice a championship team, so you work HARD to ice that championship team. (Didn't NL just work hard to get out of equalization payments???? I guess your other clinhé " Everyone gets a free ride and status quo will always be the over-riding factor." was wrong there, funny how clinhé are often wrong). I bet the Royals wish the WCSHL did some sort of revenue sharing, and i bet everyone will wish that when the Royals fold in the next season or two.

Teams aren't able to grow?? Then how did we get two expansion teams, with one finishing ahead of a already established team, anyone who watched Bell Island and Mt Pearl play this year will tell you they will be strong in a couple of years.

As for why players skip town, that we will def never agree on, I think you take people's word to mean to much, of course they say its other reasons, first of all they can't say it was money, that opens the door to tampering charges not to mention all the issues that would come if players admit publically they are getting paid, not to mention i don't think anyone wants to be known as the guy who skipped out on his hometown team to play for money somewhere else. No doubt SOME players leave for other reasons, but don't kid yourself and think money isn't the number one reason 90% of players go.

• Information