Why?

Herder Memorial Championship - Newfoundland Senior Hockey Championship for the Senior "A" leagues.
rick

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:05 am

yetman was promised that he would be playing on a game n game out competitive team.........how did that turn out? he was lied to , so he wanted out ...the same for the other ones...........

Blast97
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:25 am

Are we still stuck on the fact that the east don't allow imports? I mean they have them for the 100th time. And correct me if im wrong because I don't know for sure, but wasn't it AESHL call to not "allow" imports, not HNL's? If so then stop the sooking east fans and blame your own league.

Hockey

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:13 am

First of all to you hooligan, The east would have more than enough players to ice 4 competitive evenly matched teams if you guys weren't paying the big bucks $$$$$$$$$$$ to drawe them out there. Let's face facts without Avalon players you guys would be hard pressed to be competitive at all. For you blast27, it should be hockey nl's mandate to make it mandatory for both leagues to have the same rules as it applies to the herder. Everything is great like it is if u don't play for the herder. My honest opinion is why do we need imports anyway. Answer that question. Aren't nl hockey players good enough to play in this league. Take the 4 imports of each team and it still should be balanced close to one another.

notaclue

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:23 am

we dont NEED imports, but fans on the west coast show up to the games and lead to money for the teams which they can spend on imports which raises the level of skill in the game. The fans deserve the best hockey possible because they sell out the arenas, maybe when the east fans start going to games you will be able to afford imports but until then do not sook about the west teams having imports.

hooligan

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:45 am

Hockey wrote:First of all to you hooligan, The east would have more than enough players to ice 4 competitive evenly matched teams if you guys weren't paying the big bucks $$$$$$$$$$$ to drawe them out there. Let's face facts without Avalon players you guys would be hard pressed to be competitive at all. For you blast27, it should be hockey nl's mandate to make it mandatory for both leagues to have the same rules as it applies to the herder. Everything is great like it is if u don't play for the herder. My honest opinion is why do we need imports anyway. Answer that question. Aren't nl hockey players good enough to play in this league. Take the 4 imports of each team and it still should be balanced close to one another.
Whoa dude, I'm not disagreeing with you,that's why I said in a previous post there's not enough local talent to go around even with the players from the Avalon. The point of my post was to simply say that if the talent that currently plays in the AESHL were spread out over four teams instead of one or two there would be more parity but you would also water down the calibre of hockey IMO. That's it. As I said before parity is a big objective in the west but so providing a high calibre of hockey. To achieve this we use imports and I can tell you right now the calibre of hockey is light years ahead of where it was five or six years ago. You don't see the need for imports and there's nothing wrong with that, but as a fan in the west who enjoys a great game of hockey where the outcome of the game is never a given, I respectfully disagree.

Hockey

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:23 pm

Let's assume you are right about the caliber of hockey being much better overall on the west coast. I agree with you on that matter. Overall as you said on any given night or year anybody can win whereas in the east the cee bees or mount pearl were pretty well guaranteed to win unless they were playing one another. My point being unless something changes in one league or another the west with higher talent level (that guy lapointe is awesome) will always win the herder. THe last 2 years hasn't been close at all and this year is leaning that way. Just a thought if the west is so much better or higher caliber why play for the herder against an east team since the outcome always seems determined before it starts. You see my point. Maybe island wide league with the same rules or could all teams afford the travel? The cee bees definitely have the fan base to support island wide but without the cee bees in the AESHL fan attendance would be down drastically. A final thought after almost 3 decades it would be great for Grand Falls to win the herder even though I'm a cee bees fan. It's nice and great for hockey to spread it around, Deer Lake, then the 3 cee bees, 2 caribous and maybe a Cataracts would be good for the overall senior hockey in the province. I'm still hoping for a game 6 at mile one but i doubt it. I also commend Grand Falls for holding their home games at home for their fans and ging to Corner Brook, a great move. The east on the other hand has to hold it at mile one to get enough money to keep certain teams afloat. If the first 2 were played in Hr. Grace it would be better for cee bee fans and players. As well the cats are real fast and in a smaller venue may not be up 2-0. There is definitely no home ice advantage for any east team playing at mile one. There are always hundreds of visiting team fans there and then the townies lol could cheer for anybody. THe AESHL needs a major overall in a lot of ways and if they can't compare to the west, don't play for the herder.
Last edited by Hockey on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zekie

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Bingo bingo bingo!!!!!!

HockeyGooRoo

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:35 pm

I could go on all day with this, but I’ll TRY to keep it “relatively” short. :)

First off, I thought the games the weekend were entertaining and close. People who complain about that hockey are extremely tough to please IMO – or just cant be pleased. 1st game double OT, 2nd game one goal difference, lots of hard hits, lots of nice saves and some pretty goals. Yes some mistakes as well, but again what in the heck do people expect? You complain about that – you cannot be pleased. Folks – it could be alot worse, could it not?

Some fans are whining because the Cats have imports on their team and its not fair. Well after two games seems like a couple of closely matched teams to me. The Ceebees could easily be up two games. And from a fans perspective when it comes to the Herder, How can you improve on that??

So you take the imports out of the Cats lineup then would it be fair? No not at all, instead of having two exciting games to watch it would have been lopsided, but then that would have been fair in the eyes of some ceebees fans right? Look.....if you wanna talk fair then talk to some Bell Island or Torbay fans, maybe they can give us a line or two on the east league and “fairness”. And lets face it, if it was two zip ceebees it would be like ”imports are nothing, bring on some more we’ll beat em all”.....IMO theres a direct correlation between all this “import” talk and the Ceebees down 2-0 – PERIOD!!!

This is primarily about the fact that the East isn’t winning the Herder every single year, and many east fans don’t like it. But if you talk to the majority of unbiased hockey fans in the province they see the current set up as the best way to provide the best Herder entertainment for hockey fans, as was evidenced this weekend IMO.

And people are talking about being able to “afford” imports. Well let me tell ya something - the local players (mostly from the avalon) are just as costly, and in many cases more costly than the imports. Just ask the folks in DL and CB who can fly guys in from Toronto for about 300 bucks a pop, but to fly them in from St John’s cost double that, and then the players on the island are the ones DEMANDING the big bucks, as much or in many cases much more then the imports. And for the record I don’t blame the players at all – they would be foolish not to try and get what they can get – when the teams are willing to pay it. So for those who always blame “imports” for the ruination of senior hockey – you are incorrect.

So you disallow imports in the west and you have east teams paying big bucks to players as well, where do you think the best players would end up playing?? Thats right. You would end up having powerhouse teams in the east and weaker teams in the west that most likely would not have a chance to win the Herder. But that would be just fine with many east fans right? Exactly!!

Ok I’ll stop it right there, like I said I could go on all day as you could tell. But theres an awful lot of “import” talk following the Ceebees game one and two losses, where Ive heard very little of it All season long. And for those that are REALLY bitchin about it, if they were honest they would also see as the majority of others..................SOUR GRAPES!!!!!!!!!!!! PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

This series is not over yet, and I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if the Ceebees mount a comeback and drive this to 6 or 7 games. Until the 4th game is won there is no 2011 Herder champ.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CATS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :-D

Hockey

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:49 pm

It's suppose to be Newfoundland Senior hockey, not the air canada cup. I always disagreed with the imports. You guys pay enough money and they will come. You got hedges, the delaneys and wadden last year for the money. NOthing wrong with that. If someone offered me more money i would go too. When you have to bring in the Toronto, Ottawa and Halifax players, that's just pathetic to me. It's turning into a semi-pro league, come on by it's only Newfoundland Senior hockey and don't you think the cee bees should have played their homes games in Hr. Grace as is Grand Falls and i give them full credit for that decision.

hooligan

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:14 pm

Hockey wrote:Let's assume you are right about the caliber of hockey being much better overall on the west coast. I agree with you on that matter. Overall as you said on any given night or year anybody can win whereas in the east the cee bees or mount pearl were pretty well guaranteed to win unless they were playing one another. My point being unless something changes in one league or another the west with higher talent level (that guy lapointe is awesome) will always win the herder. THe last 2 years hasn't been close at all and this year is leaning that way. Just a thought if the west is so much better or higher caliber why play for the herder against an east team since the outcome always seems determined before it starts. You see my point. Maybe island wide league with the same rules or could all teams afford the travel? The cee bees definitely have the fan base to support island wide but without the cee bees in the AESHL fan attendance would be down drastically. A final thought after almost 3 decades it would be great for Grand Falls to win the herder even though I'm a cee bees fan. It's nice and great for hockey to spread it around, Deer Lake, then the 3 cee bees, 2 caribous and maybe a Cataracts would be good for the overall senior hockey in the province. I'm still hoping for a game 6 at mile one but i doubt it.
I absolutely see your point and I agree with you. The problem is you have two leagues with two constitutions and are run differently that seems to very rarely get along. As the leagues are now, getting them to agree on something like this would be difficult IMO because what works for one league may not for the other. The only solution may be an island wide league with two divisions. Other than that I feel it would be much easier to allow imports in both leagues than to prohibit them in a league that currently uses them. Like I said the leagues are run differently and in the west you are expected to stand on your own two feet with no financial help from anyone. To do this you've got to ice a competative team year in year out which is done using imports and for whatever reason the east doesn't feel the same way.

• Information