38-4

NL Major Midget "AAA" - St. John's Maple Leafs, Western Kings, Central IcePak, and the Northern Huskies.
coachdad
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:34 pm

That is the combined scores of the games between the Fog Devils and Icepak . I'm astounded this is still called a league and furthermore that a parent of the Fog devils takes the time to post this on Hockeyscene as if it is an accomplishment . Shame on him and those who have killed this league . There is lots of talented players inside and outside of St John's not availing of a game of competitive hockey due to the desire of a few to win at all cost .

AAAFAN1

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:14 pm

What has been allowed to happen to this league is a total disgrace. HNL should be held accountable for this mess.

InTheFog

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:42 pm

In all honesty outside of Ryane Clowe and Luke Adam all of the NHLers have come from the other teams. I mean look at Brandon Hynes. He played for Western and in all honesty will probably play at the WJC either next year or the year after that. When you look at most of the players from the Fog Devils that are up in the Q they certainly aren't stars on their own team. Cleary, both of the Ryders, Jason King, and now Hynes are or were stars on the junior teams that they played/play for.

I know that Ted Purcell and Colin Greening are doing well for themselves and they did play with St. John's but for the most part most of their development came when they went away.

kingston

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:21 pm

'In the fog', your response typifies what is wrong with the NLMAAA! It is not about producing Q or NHL players! It is about as - the first person said - players enjoying a competitive game of hockey! Minor hockey is not about producing professional players. I think the number is less that 1% of all minor hockey players will even be drafted let alone play professional hockey of any kind. HNL and the St John's Minor Hockey Association should be ashamed for allowing this to continue. St J should have two AAA teams.With a population of over 180,000 that is very realistic. Halifax has 3 AAA teams. We have already seen Corner Brook drop out and one of the reasons was to many elite players were opting out to play H.S. hockey. Gee I wonder why no one wants to travel 7.5 hrs to get their butt kicked by double digits?? How long do you think Central can continue? The Jr B Cataracts are made up of at least 75% of players who never played AAA because of the cost/travel and competitive disparity.
The other issue would be how many excellent players in St J are being denied the opportunity to participate at an elite level because there is only one team?
Fix it HNL - mandate two teams from St J (geographical division) and save this league. You are one step away from having no one to play - a league of one!

Ice Pak

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:07 pm

see the problem is this......

1. HNL beleives that St.John's needs to be competitive at the National level (which is a laugh) its about developing players

2. There will be no league next year which is what St.John's and Hockey Newfoundland wants. Here is why.

Whoever decided to bring back 12-13 third year players (born in 92) is at fault here ie Wally Bray. ST Johns got over 10 players that are drafted and never reported to camp. Which may I add that the Devils are blacklisted by scouts. Why draft them if they are going to stay home and play midget. So with all those third year players leaving you are now trying to fill the spots with new and younger players. So if there is no league St.Johns will pick and choose who they want from the island. Reguardless if this happens or not the St.John's fog devils will be extreamly embarresed next year at the telus cup(which we don't want to see). The central and tripen teams compete with the rest of atlantic canada so its not a matter of they are too weak. There is no doubt about it that St.John's got a powerhouse.

3. Teams don't like to be embarresed. If I was coaching a team up by ten I wouldn't have the best player on the island out cherry picking. Id have my fourth line out there or practicing certin aspects of the game. I dont blame Zack O'Brien I blame the coaches.

It kills me that this league could be no more because of the lack for guildence by Jack Lee and Hockey Newfoundland. At the beginning of the year the ice pak was asked to bare with this and fight through the next two seasons until the Telus Cup was over then St.John's will have a second team. As a team we said ok we ill do it. Then St.Johns goes and picks a load of players that will not be here next year. Total spit in the face.

I will finish with my take on what the NLMMHL is "SUPPOSED" be about.......DEVELOPING PLAYERS AND NOT TO COMPETE AT THE TELUS CUP.

Blast97

Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:56 pm

Another thing that is hurting this league, for example this past weekend I was going to go watch AAA in Lewisporte but why go watch one team walk over another. St John's are ruining this league, in all ways. I don't know how many fans go to watch but I for one wouldn't go. And if what IcePack is saying about a 1st line player on the ice all the time goal sucking up by 10 is true, all thats going to turn out of this is , dirt, poor sportmanship and to be totally honest these top line players on the Fog Devils are going to develope bad habits. Nothing good is coming from this league. Maybe thats why when all these players get drafted and go away from St Johns they come back because there not used to competition and why players from other parts of the Island do, do well. They know what it takes....work, hustle and effort. I don't know maybe I am wrong but thats my opinion.

AAAFAN1

Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:53 pm

5 years ago HNL started playing AAA in peewee and bantam with regional teams.....In everyone of those tournaments a team from the Avalon has won the AAA titles in peewee and bantam. However on several occasions other teams and given them all they can handle the the hockey has been excellent. What AAA hockey should be.

So HNL divides the eight associations on the Avalon into 2 teams and one or the other has been the best peewee and bantam AAA teams in NL for the last 5 years. NOW when these kids reach midget they are going to form ONE team. Can someone explain the logic in this except to boast the egos of the coaches and management of the Fog Devils.

The current Fog Devils are a incredible team.....Zach O'Brien could be a top 20 scorer in the Q. But the actions of the team of running up scores has broken the will of the rest of the kids. Frankly it is embarrassing to watch. The result is the end of what should be the goal of every minor hockey player to play in the NL MAJOR MIDGET LEAGUE. Once it is gone it will take along time for it to come back.

Jack Lee and HNL.....you have allowed this to happen. This could have been avoided but now it is too late.

InTheFog

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:59 pm

kingston wrote:'In the fog', your response typifies what is wrong with the NLMAAA! It is not about producing Q or NHL players! It is about as - the first person said - players enjoying a competitive game of hockey! Minor hockey is not about producing professional players. I think the number is less that 1% of all minor hockey players will even be drafted let alone play professional hockey of any kind. HNL and the St John's Minor Hockey Association should be ashamed for allowing this to continue. St J should have two AAA teams.With a population of over 180,000 that is very realistic. Halifax has 3 AAA teams. We have already seen Corner Brook drop out and one of the reasons was to many elite players were opting out to play H.S. hockey. Gee I wonder why no one wants to travel 7.5 hrs to get their butt kicked by double digits?? How long do you think Central can continue? The Jr B Cataracts are made up of at least 75% of players who never played AAA because of the cost/travel and competitive disparity.
The other issue would be how many excellent players in St J are being denied the opportunity to participate at an elite level because there is only one team?
Fix it HNL - mandate two teams from St J (geographical division) and save this league. You are one step away from having no one to play - a league of one!
Where do you think that most players from major junior hockey come from? They come from the major midget ranks don't they?

You are right, though, about St. John's being split into two teams and maybe even three.

FanOfHabs

Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:04 pm

You could almost have three teams in St. John's, the population base is there. There are a lot of kids playing in the Doug Marshall League who could play major midget if there was more than one team in St. John's.

I think almost everyone on this board agrees there should be at least two teams. I think icing three teams (like they do in Halifax) is an option as well.

NHLfan

Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:09 pm

I actually use to be interested in this league a few years ago, a complete disgrace to HNL and the St. John's Leafs for what they let happen to this league. Nobody is benefiting from a league of this structure, nobody.

• Information