The New Look of Hockey .....

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
aseyeseesit
What colour is a puck?:black

Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:47 am

By the way, last Season the Cats averaged 500 fans at Home games. I am not directly privy to numbers at Gander Home games, but I did attend several games there and the attendance numbers were probably higher than GFW.
Also, FYI, the Cats don't have an issue with travel to the east, since the majority of our players live on the Avalon - even some players originally from GFW and area now work/live on the Avalon.
Also, we are sensitive about costs, and all players who live in the central area are billeted,(no hotels), with fellow teammates when we visit St.John's/area to play Away games... Everyone is also billeted with teammates and families in GFW when we play at Home. We also have volunteers who 'feed' the players their game meals when we play at Home. That same hospitality was offered to the 4 ECSHL visiting teams who came out here to play last season. This year we will I have no doubt continue to be sensible and hospitable....We know that east teams who come out here have more costs than we do travelling to the east - hotels bus for everyone on the team, food/meals while away etc. To help in that regard we have also worked with everyone involved to find financial help to off set those unusual expenses for east teams coming this way. We appreciate the co-operation from all sides in our respectful and friendly competitive relationship..
We will do everything to get along with our fellow competitors. Keeping Senior hockey alive out here where our available hockey players are very small is our main goal. All we care about and work year round for is to preserve senior hockey during those long winter months.

newfiebullet110

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:00 pm

What a load of horseshit HNL and it’s cronies have come up with. First of all how can a governing body keep preventing a team from joining a league ? Total BS and personal vendettas.

The next issue is the paying of players. Apparently the east coast teams don’t pay players at all and now Ivan is saying all his players are going to play for free. So my question is how will Gander and Grandfalls operate their teams. Will they pay players or will their players play for “free” as well. We all know the difference.

So how can a league operate where some teams pay players and some don’t. What about the import goalie issue ? Wasn’t that the reason the east kicked the ceebees out of their league in the first place. HNL is governed by a bunch of self serving idiots who care nothing about the preservation of senior hockey but just how much they can line their own pockets.

Fans of both leagues complained last season when the interlocking games were a total farce. What will be the difference this year ?

Will the executives of the flyers and cats also tell us that their players are going to play for free ? Haha as long as the old boys club continues to run senior hockey it will always be a farce.

canonball

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:47 pm

As for the cb’s with no game for the year why not ask the teams exc. why this happened . From my understanding it is that they asked for everything plus the kitchen sink

Flyer24

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:08 pm

That's what I was told too Cannon. They assumed without them Gander and GFW had NO game, thus would cave to their demands. Played a little hardball and it backfired.

As a fan in Gander I am just glad it gives me a few games of hockey to watch. Hopefully it's a little more competitive than last season. I guess we will have the top 4 teams from the Province compete for the Herder if nothing else.

Oh just a fan

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:44 pm

About this Herder layout I don’t get it. Why not just have the league champs be the Herder winner. Why would four teams play in a tournament instead of a playoff? Or is there playoffs at all? Or just the top four after a league will play in the Herder tournament?

I don’t get how this is lining up.

#1BousFan

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:05 pm

I like it, If it gives us hockey then I am all for it
Clarenville Caribous 2018 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous--2012 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2011 Allan Cup Champions
Clarenville Caribous- -2010 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2009 Herder Champions

Hockey Eyes

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:09 pm

Oh just a fan wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:44 pm
About this Herder layout I don’t get it. Why not just have the league champs be the Herder winner. Why would four teams play in a tournament instead of a playoff? Or is there playoffs at all? Or just the top four after a league will play in the Herder tournament?

I don’t get how this is lining up.

The vision is to have The Herder as a big show case event held in either St. John's or Corner Brook. We saw shades of that a few years ago it was mandated the Pepsi Centre ( at the time) would be the west coast Herder venue. That became a major controversy . The proposal put forward at the annual meeting this year had a sponsor on board ( still on board I believe) It is a financial institution. . The fact the west coast league just wants to be left alone doesn't impact it this year because it is going to St. John's anyway. It's like the national junior hockey tournament.
The idea is sound and this year will be a good start. Next year it can probably be in Corner Brook or go back to St. John's. The Herder won't be held at Feildian Gardens or Joe Byrne but perhaps there might be a game worked in a tournament situation..
This is the last chance for hockey. It will need ALL teams committed to the setup. That is something that has eluded provincial senior hockey in the pas....but this is a new year. t.

Oh just a fan

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:36 pm

I get what the tourney is, it’s just I didn’t know how they were going to pick the four teams. Aren’t they all in the same league? Or did I misread it the first time and it’s two separate leagues still and they’re going to play interlocking games and then have a year end tournament?

dtalbot

Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:10 am

The Compass had an article and it showed the same lack of specifics:

https://www.cbncompass.ca/sports/hockey ... on-246729/

The only things for certain:
11 senior teams will be playing in the province (last year's West Coast, Central/West and East Coast teams)
4 teams returning to WCSHL and they are not participating in the Herder
The CWSHL is history
Harbour Grace is not playing
4 teams will play in the Herder with a round robin and final over Easter weekend

Questions:
Is the league a single division with an unbalanced schedule, or are there going to be two divisions?
Will the Herder be the NSHL's league semifinals and final?
and if not how are the teams being picked? Regular season finish, playoff finish, finalist plus next two best records?
Any chance of Harbour Grace coming back this season? Eight teams would be much easier for scheduling purposes.

titan

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:13 am

canonball wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:47 pm
As for the cb’s with no game for the year why not ask the teams exc. why this happened . From my understanding it is that they asked for everything plus the kitchen sink
Sounds like the Ceebees went all in, got called and lost...

• Information