Cats vs Gander League

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Seniorfan
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:36 pm

Asyeseeit is 100% correct. So many people on here trying their damndest to undermine the work being done by the Cataracts and Flyers organizations. People saying saying there have been no announcements by either team when in fact both teams have been making announcements updating fans on Facebook and Twitter. They said they'll be playing starting in January. It's not January yet. I've heard that as of Xmas Eve both teams are ready to go. They just need to finalize dates based on arena availability so I'd expect a further update any day now. Why there are people who don't want these two franchises to stay alive by playing a few games against each other and fans a chance to get out to the rink is bizarre.

titan

Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:54 pm

Exactly!! There's not enough players. We don't even need to talk quality. Not all of those loaned out are returning.

The Bottom Line

Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:49 pm

Seniorfan wrote:
Asyeseeit is 100% correct. So many people on here trying their damndest to undermine the work being done by the Cataracts and Flyers organizations. People saying saying there have been no announcements by either team when in fact both teams have been making announcements updating fans on Facebook and Twitter. They said they'll be playing starting in January. It's not January yet. I've heard that as of Xmas Eve both teams are ready to go. They just need to finalize dates based on arena availability so I'd expect a further update any day now. Why there are people who don't want these two franchises to stay alive by playing a few games against each other and fans a chance to get out to the rink is bizarre.
Makes no sense. Some people just hate seeing others succeed I guess. Some people are getting sookie because 2 teams will be playing games after Christmas. Imo, that's immature. Anyway, games will be starting soon and I have a feeling things will get better. ...... Stand by!

Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:24 am

The Bottom Line wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:49 pm
Seniorfan wrote:
Makes no sense. Some people just hate seeing others succeed I guess. Some people are getting sookie because 2 teams will be playing games after Christmas. Imo, that's immature. Anyway, games will be starting soon and I have a feeling things will get better. ...... Stand by!
In all fairness BottomLine things can’t get any worse. There’s only 2 teams left in the league with no other teams wanting to play those 2 teams. Many of the better players from the league have defected to other teams. Only way it can get worse is for the plug to be pulled on the 2019-2020 season which I guess is technically the 2020 season now.

In all fairness 123, it's not a league. I'm hearing that some of these players will return or atleast want to, some of the east teams are throwing around money at some players and that things are looking up for the flyers, cats and??? Could be all rumors, stick around, will see soon....

Seniorfan

Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:19 am

There is NO LEAGUE!! Two teams playing some games for the benefit of fans while trying to arrange some other games as well. That's it. As for players "defecting" to other teams. Only two former Cats are playing out east which would have happened for personal reasons even if the Cataracts starting play back in the fall. One player is out west (for now). That's all. There's also rumors that some Flyers players want back in Gander. They're not too excited with the level of play/ organizations elsewhere. I have a feeling this is just going to get better and better for fans in Central.

Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:41 am

Seniorfan wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:19 am
There is NO LEAGUE!! Two teams playing some games for the benefit of fans while trying to arrange some other games as well. That's it. As for players "defecting" to other teams. Only two former Cats are playing out east which would have happened for personal reasons even if the Cataracts starting play back in the fall. One player is out west (for now). That's all. There's also rumors that some Flyers players want back in Gander. They're not too excited with the level of play/ organizations elsewhere. I have a feeling this is just going to get better and better for fans in Central.
One best hope the Gander players come back or all games will be won by the Cataracts.

aseyeseesit

Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:29 pm

It is a "truth" learned by central teams over the last two years of efforts in central - to help maintain fan interest,(and, probably, player interest too), - that both Gander and GFW have worked overtime to connect with "other teams" to create variation of teams besides just Flyers and Cats. Fans really deserve and have to be given more variety than two teams...
Thus, the halting and undependable 'help' we thought the east teams would 'give' us - we had to pay them money and do all we could to talk them into helping. Last Season three of the five east teams failed to actually turn up out here on their scheduled dates. Very Bad for bookings, fans, and a great damage to credibility for everyone involved ! The year before that there were also similar failures in turning up. All bad.
Then, this year the East made clear they would not visit - not really into that level of commitment. That's when HNL tried to force central survival with announcing no Herder without some measure of inter-regional play - to keep alive central teams.
Anyway, those various central players who have been playing out east this fall - and a couple out west - really deep down want more than just GFW and Gander playing each other .
That's why central teams, and HNL, are still , even during Xmas holidays, trying to find "a team or two" - from west,or even east ,(we're not particular) - who will play some games vs. the two central teams. Then, player and fan interest will be helped, and , as HNL stated in dealing with this 'central' hockey crisis in the fall, there would also then be a Herder! ... Otherwise -- no Herder for any team in NL.
Central team organizations and we fans love our hockey out here and want it kept alive. So, hang on! Until there is no hope, we will hope!
If this Season can't be saved, it won't have been from any lack of trying.

• Information