Cats vs Gander League

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
NLHockeyInsider
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:16 pm

No issues with the Caribous and Cee Bees. They’re actually playing community based hockey now with a large contingent of local players in their line-up. Won’t be that way with the Cataracts, it’ll be spend, spend, spend to buy another Herder.

Hockey Eyes

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:24 pm

. Good luck to Gander and Grand Falls- Windsor
Last edited by Hockey Eyes on Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:21 am, edited 5 times in total.

thelionsden

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:35 am

Maybe you can move to Onion Cove and be the GM there, seems it didn't work out for you at your last GM position Hockey Lies.

Ditka709

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:22 am

This series - not a league because that requires a third team - will be good for hockey fans in central Newfoundland.
With that said, complaining about the Cataracts 'buying a Herder' is kind of lame isn' t it?
It is completely within the rules for them to pay whoever they want. That is how they're set up.
The other leagues make the choice to not pay players - although you can argue that it is common in both - and that is why there has been trouble attracting that third team. Who wants to travel knowing you're going to get it handed to you for two games?
It is that uneven playing field that is at the crux of the problem.
Anyway, in the name of the American Thanksgiving, be thankful there is senior hockey forecasted for the new year in Grand Falls-Windsor and Gander.
Leave any half baked laments until at least Monday, you'll be happier.
Oh and get out support the intermediate league

Seniorfan

Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:50 am

There was no mention of a "league" in the announcement. That's something that someone else just made up. Jyst two teams saying they will play games against each other with ther possibility of some other competition. This seems to have upset some fans out east. Why? Is it because they were hoping HNL would change its mind and allow the Herder to be played fir this year. They were anticipating a cozy little event between just themselves out east. Now there's the possibility that in order to win the Herder they'll have to contend with the Flyers and Cataracts. Otherwise why would they even care?

Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:20 am

I could care less if the Herder gets played for. People say it’s needed for the ECSHL to survive. I know nothing about that. If that is not the case who cares about the Herder, just play for the ECSHL Championship and be done with it. Let GFW and Gander m play 12 times against each other to determine home ice for a best of 7 for the Herder if they wish. Good lord that sounds like a pathetic league now that I think about it. So I expect some ECSHL be forced to play some sort of interlocking game. Suppose they’ll figure this all out by mid-March at this pace.

#1BousFan

Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:23 am

If there is no Third team when they starts up in Jan, I guess they will have find a team to interlock cause Hockey NL won't sanctioned a 2 team league as we saw earlier, If a 3rd team comes forward I guess they will play for the herder or will they take one a team in another league somewhere to play for it?
Clarenville Caribous 2018 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous--2012 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2011 Allan Cup Champions
Clarenville Caribous- -2010 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2009 Herder Champions

Seniorfan

Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:50 am

It's not a league. They never called it a league. You don't need to be in a league to play hockey. Many of the teams that have played for the Allan Cup over the years didn't play in a league.

To add to my previous post this also means ther plan by teams in the east and west to force Gander and GFW to fold and raid their players has failed. That's another reason they're upset.

Oh just a fan

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:13 am

We can just call them 12 games exhibition for now. As stupid as it is to do. Screw it fans willing to go are more than welcome. I’ll continue to travel throughout central watching the intermediate league. $5 and much more entertaining. Good hockey for that price. Plus it’s nice to take in games in community’s such as Triton, Lewisporte and Twilly.

Seniorfan

Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:01 pm

Free country. Do what you want.

• Information