Newfoundland Fans

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Zekie
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:20 pm

I am currently reading abook by Paul Henderson titled How Hockey Expains Canada. He pays tribute to us fans from Newfoundland. In his Preface he writes:

'As great as Canadian hockey fans are from coast-to-coast, I've come to believe that some of the most knowledgable hockey people I've ever met are those from Newfoundland, a place without an NHL franchise.'

He also says that he finds fans from Newfoundland 'loyal to a fault.'

I found his comments interesting & figured I would pass it along.

hockeypap

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:29 pm

Cool, should be a good read.
2011-2012 Herder Champions
2008-2009 Herder Champs
2009-2010 Herder Champs
2011 ALLAN CUP CHAMPIONS

2011-2012 NLSHL Regular season champs

Zekie

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:39 pm

hockeypap wrote:Cool, should be a good read.
It is a breat read. Touches on a lot of different topics of interests.

AbbeyChase

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Thats awesome that he wrote that! nice to hear!
Speaking of hockey books. I can wait to read Terry Ryan's book coming out in oct 13 called "tales of a first round nothing"

Zekie

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:42 pm

AbbeyChase wrote:Thats awesome that he wrote that! nice to hear!
Speaking of hockey books. I can wait to read Terry Ryan's book coming out in oct 13 called "tales of a first round nothing"
I suspect that if he would have been a French Canadian that was drafted 8th overall he would have had a more illustrious carreer in the big show even after his ankle injury. Too bad he wasn't drafted by another team. IMO the Habs have derailed the carreers of many just because they weren't French Canadians. George Faulkner is one that comes to mind. This is from the Nefowundland & Labrador Hockey Hall of Fame:

" Despite having the skills and talent to play in the National Hockey League, he was curtailed by the Montreal Canadiens who declined to trade him. He enjoyed considerable personal success in Quebec junior hockey and with the Shawinigan Falls Cataracts in the Quebec Hockey League, playing with and against many players who performed in the National Hockey League."

kabbott50

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:27 pm

I heard, and don't know how true it was, that his father played a large part in him A) being drafted that high, and B) not being moved afterwards.

Like I said, I can't say that this is true, as it may be total BS, but I thought I'd mention it to see if anybody else heard the same thing.

Mr. BoJangles

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:46 pm

kabbott50 wrote:I heard, and don't know how true it was, that his father played a large part in him A) being drafted that high, and B) not being moved afterwards.

Like I said, I can't say that this is true, as it may be total BS, but I thought I'd mention it to see if anybody else heard the same thing.
His biggest mistake was droppin' da mits with Tie Domi!!!!!!

bart

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:26 pm

Ryan fought Domi three times (u-tube). He never beat him, but Domi did not put him down to the ice. How many 19 year olds do you know who would have the guts and passion to square off with Domi? Gotta give Ryan credit, he always is a team player and plays with passion.

AbbeyChase

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:20 am

bart wrote:Ryan fought Domi three times (u-tube). He never beat him, but Domi did not put him down to the ice. How many 19 year olds do you know who would have the guts and passion to square off with Domi? Gotta give Ryan credit, he always is a team player and plays with passion.

Ryan has a blog where i think a lot of his stories for his book derive from, it's worth a read. some hilarious stuff. I'm not sure if it was there or an online interview i listened to that he talked about fight Tie. worth looking up.

Mr. BoJangles

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:33 am

bart wrote:Ryan fought Domi three times (u-tube). He never beat him, but Domi did not put him down to the ice. How many 19 year olds do you know who would have the guts and passion to square off with Domi? Gotta give Ryan credit, he always is a team player and plays with passion.
Don't know what fight you watched but the first time they fought, Ryan ended up on the ice with Domi on top. :?

• Information