2012 herder

Allan Cup Senior Canadian Championship - Discussion of NL Senior "A" teams & play.
Tommy

Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:35 am

Sounds right to me AESHL....

tripper

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:40 am

I am not familiar with the rules regarding the qualifications of the Allan Cup but from what I understand the majority of the teams in the rest of Canada play in a league where the majority are AAA status and when they win their league championship they play in a regional playdown to determine who goes to the Allan Cup. Here in Atlantic Canada if I recall a few years ago the Halifax Canadians which I THINK included former Caribous Gary Zinch and Grahaem Power. I don't think this team played in actual league and if they did they picked up some additions and entered the Allan Cup and the only team from Atlantic Canada so no play down necessary. I see nothing wrong with the current format in which a team from Newfoundland enters the Allan Cup. I do not know who the other teams in Western Canada fund and arrange their trip to the Allan Cup on such short notices due to the fact that these are Amature players with Jobs. Here in Newfoundland which ever team decides to go NEEDS time to prepare through fundraising and ensure the availability of players. For example immediatley after Grand Falls won the Herder this year and wanted to go to this years Allan Cup if the Bous were not going would the majority of the players be available to take a week off and play in the Allan Cup?? I don't think so!!!! So they would have to affailiate with another team. Again I don't understand the format for the Allan Cup. But here in Newfoundland if all teams were AAA teams the team that won the Herder the previous year should get the opportuntiy if they chose so they could fundraise and ensure player availabitly and which team the affailiates with.

tripper

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:40 am

I am not familiar with the rules regarding the qualifications of the Allan Cup but from what I understand the majority of the teams in the rest of Canada play in a league where the majority are AAA status and when they win their league championship they play in a regional playdown to determine who goes to the Allan Cup. Here in Atlantic Canada if I recall a few years ago the Halifax Canadians which I THINK included former Caribous Gary Zinch and Grahaem Power. I don't think this team played in actual league and if they did they picked up some additions and entered the Allan Cup and the only team from Atlantic Canada so no play down necessary. I see nothing wrong with the current format in which a team from Newfoundland enters the Allan Cup. I do not know who the other teams in Western Canada fund and arrange their trip to the Allan Cup on such short notices due to the fact that these are Amature players with Jobs. Here in Newfoundland which ever team decides to go NEEDS time to prepare through fundraising and ensure the availability of players. For example immediatley after Grand Falls won the Herder this year and wanted to go to this years Allan Cup if the Bous were not going would the majority of the players be available to take a week off and play in the Allan Cup?? I don't think so!!!! So they would have to affailiate with another team. Again I don't understand the format for the Allan Cup. But here in Newfoundland if all teams were AAA teams the team that won the Herder the previous year should get the opportuntiy if they chose so they could fundraise and ensure player availabitly and which team the affailiates with.

Silverhawk
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:50 pm

There is a deadline for the allan cup.. the cats could NOT go to the 2011 allan cup.. .. the deadline for teams to submit their intent to attend the allan cup is a date in december I believe PRIOR to the allan cup
Be Loud, Be Herd. Go 'Bous Go
2015 Allan Cup Host Team

- 2012 Herder Memorial Champs
- 2011 Allan Cup Champs
- 2010 Herder Memorial Champs
- 2009 Herder Memorial Champs

tippper

Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:50 am

The real concern with the Caribous winning the Allan Cup, while it is a wonderful achievement, is the rest of the senior teams in NL going into overdrive and spending way over the head in that dream of winning the Allan Cup and going out of business as happened in 1989. That's the important issue. Not who goes or how they get there. Clarenville took a huge risk and has provided the island with NL's most UNEXPECTED hockey championship ever!!! Let'\s enjoy it.
As for having to be in a league to get to the Allan Cup tournament, I am not really sure on that. I know that a few years ago, there was a team based in Regina, a collection of ex WHLers and university players, who played only in the hope of making it to the final tournament and NEVER DID. They were not part of a league. I don't know what the rule is now or if a rule exists. As we all know, rules for these things keep changing.
As for federal money, the feds DO NOT contribute directly to the Allan Cup but Hockey Canada and their provincial branches do get government funding for different things as does all amateur sport in Canada. As we all know, the feds have given money to cities and towns for new arenas and stadiums over the years. Mile One Center being just one example and we all know the current status of that one and how much money it loses!!! While I am sure the purse strings will open in the future for some polticians hoping to buy votes, the current Conservative government has ruled out a contribution to construct a new 400 million dollar stadium in Regina and a new hockey arena for Quebec City for a potential NHL team. Neither of these project are going to happen any time soon unless Harper is defeated and another party comes to power.

Wade

Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:21 pm

AESHL wrote:
Wade wrote:
Silverhawk wrote:ok people.. here it is once again.. how things works when it comes to the allan cup.

1. the allan cup is a AAA senior hockey tournament which is a canada wide tournament.

2. currently, the clarenville caribous is the only AAA team in Newfoundland. can other teams apply for the status change?.. of course but none has done so.

3. the clarenville caribous applied to the allan cup this year (same as last year) and got accepted to participate.

4. The caribous are the ATLANTIC CANADIAN rep.. NOT a Newfoundland rep.

5. If another AAA team (in newfoundland OR atlantic) wanted to also go to the allan cup, there would have to be a tournament to determine the winner. due to the fact no other teams wish to participate in the allan cup, the caribous automaticlly move onto the round robin games of the allan cup.

6. unlike what has been posted here at times, a large chunk of the team's expenses to travel to the allan cup is paid for BY the allan cup itself via money provided by the federal government.

Some of this post is correct and some of it is not and most of it is just plain vauge.

First of all...the Federal Government does not contribute a red cent to the Allan Cup.

Secondly, there is NOTHING saying there would be a tournament to decide an Atlantic Representative if more than ONE team in the ATLANTIC Region entered 'SR AAA'. You might like to ASSUME this would take place...but...given the greyness of the current format in place...its unwise to assume how anything might change if there were more than ONE contestant.

The truth is...the format which Atlantic Canada has used to send an Allan Cup entrant for the past 2 seasons has NEVER been used by ANY other region/province in the 100+ year history of the Allan Cup.

So, the issue really isn't about the fact Clarenville lost THIS year. The issue is...they qualified with LAST YEARS roster and were allowed to bring THIS YEARS roster to the tournament, using a brand new affiliate.

Finally...there are no clear or sensible answers on why this happened and its sickening its going to happen again next year.

Bottom line is...YES...this is a 'Canada wide tournament'.

And the rules should be the same...Canada wide.

Just because the Newfies set their clocks a half hour apart from everywhere else in the world doesn't mean the REST of the rules should be different for them!!!

I think Wade is afarid of the Newfy's coming back next year.

If this years Cataracts rerister AAA i think the Allan Cup will be staying in NL for another year....

I think you need to take a step back and think about this.

I am ONLY asking for one very simple request:

The rules should be the same for everyone.

There is just not a whole lot more that needs to be said.

If you disagree and you feel ATLANTIC Canada should paritcipate with different rules than everyone else...go ahead and try explaining it.

Personally...I can't imagine any self-respecting adult actually WANTING to have the rules arranged in a way which sets you apart from everyone else...but...hey... :idea:

superfan

Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:58 pm

.......great job silverhawk .

Wade

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:49 pm

tripper wrote:I am not familiar with the rules regarding the qualifications of the Allan Cup but from what I understand the majority of the teams in the rest of Canada play in a league where the majority are AAA status and when they win their league championship they play in a regional playdown to determine who goes to the Allan Cup. Here in Atlantic Canada if I recall a few years ago the Halifax Canadians which I THINK included former Caribous Gary Zinch and Grahaem Power. I don't think this team played in actual league and if they did they picked up some additions and entered the Allan Cup and the only team from Atlantic Canada so no play down necessary. I see nothing wrong with the current format in which a team from Newfoundland enters the Allan Cup. I do not know who the other teams in Western Canada fund and arrange their trip to the Allan Cup on such short notices due to the fact that these are Amature players with Jobs. Here in Newfoundland which ever team decides to go NEEDS time to prepare through fundraising and ensure the availability of players. For example immediatley after Grand Falls won the Herder this year and wanted to go to this years Allan Cup if the Bous were not going would the majority of the players be available to take a week off and play in the Allan Cup?? I don't think so!!!! So they would have to affailiate with another team. Again I don't understand the format for the Allan Cup. But here in Newfoundland if all teams were AAA teams the team that won the Herder the previous year should get the opportuntiy if they chose so they could fundraise and ensure player availabitly and which team the affailiates with.

In ALL OTHER PARTS OF CANADA...Amateur players are NO DIFFRENT than in Newfoundland. They ALL have to make arrangements to attend the Allan Cup Tournament and these arrangements ewquire time off work, family, schooling et al.

The only difference is in the RULES!

Consider: The Bentley Generals # 1 goal scorer from Provincial Playoffs...was unable to play in the Allan Cup Final due to a scheduling conflict with his career.

Im NOT making excuses for anyone. Like I said before...I am just here for one simple reason:

The rules should be the same for everyone.

There is absolutley NO GOOD REASON for Newfoundland or anywhere else in Atlantic Canada to be any different!

I know Hockey Canada DESPERATLEY wants Atlatntic Canada to participate at the 'AAA' level.

So do I!

However...its unsporting ans disgusting they do so with a different set of rules than EVERYONE else!

jiji2you

Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:25 am

HELLO ALL:

MY NAME IS GILBERT LONGPRE AND I PLAYED WITH THE 1986 ALLAN CUP WINNING CORNER BROOK ROYALS. WITH THE CARIBOU'S WINNING THIS YEAR I WAS SO HAPPY AND IT BROUGHT BACK SO MANY FOND MEMORIES OF BOTH THE HOCKEY AND THE PEOPLE/CULTURE OF NEWFOUNDLAND. GREAT JOB BOUS :-D

CaribousFan

Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:37 pm

jiji2you wrote:HELLO ALL:

MY NAME IS GILBERT LONGPRE AND I PLAYED WITH THE 1986 ALLAN CUP WINNING CORNER BROOK ROYALS. WITH THE CARIBOU'S WINNING THIS YEAR I WAS SO HAPPY AND IT BROUGHT BACK SO MANY FOND MEMORIES OF BOTH THE HOCKEY AND THE PEOPLE/CULTURE OF NEWFOUNDLAND. GREAT JOB BOUS :-D
cool, Nice to hear from u
Caribous Record- 17-5-2= 36 Points= 1st Place- Regular Season Champs
Clarenville Caribous- 2011 Allan Cup Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2009-2010 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2008-2009 Herder Champions
CEC Siren Guy

• Information