Pacioretty / Chara Hit

Newfoundland & Labrador general hockey discussion.
NLHockeyTalk.ca

Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:28 pm

Any thoughts on this?

Carbonear Canadiens
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:45 pm

I think it's pretty clear what happened. Montreal Police have now opened a criminal investigation. It's sad that the league never took action against Chara but earlier today they suspended another player 3 games for elbowing. Max may not get to play again. It's obsured that Bettman got on the media and said it was part of the game.
Follow me on Twitter: @CCanadiens

rick

Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:19 pm

followed through on his hit... nothin more. just looks bad because of where it happened.............police getting invovled is only a joke.. they got nothin better to do .................

Carbonear Canadiens

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:05 pm

Here is the letter that AC wrote to Gary.....

Denis Vandal
Director, Marketing Communications

March 9, 2011

Commissioner Gary Bettman
National Hockey League
1185 - 6th Avenue 15th Floor
New York, NY USA

Tel: 212-789-2000
Fax: 212-789-2111

Dear Commissioner Bettman:

We are contacting you today to voice our concern over last night's incident involving Max Pacioretty and Zdeno Chara at the Bell Centre in Montreal. This is following several other incidents involving career threatening and life endangering head shots in the NHL recently.

As a strong supporter and sponsor ofNHL Hockey in Canada and several US cities, Air Canada is very concerned with the state of hockey today. While we support countless sports, arts and community events, we are having difficulty rationalizing our sponsorship of Hockey unless the NHL takes responsib ility to protect both the players and the integrity of the game. From a corporate social responsibility standpoint, it is becoming increasingly difficult to associate our brand with sports events which could lead to serious and irresponsible accidents; action must be taken by the NHL before we are encountered with a fatality.

Unless the NHL takes immediate action with serious suspens ions to the players in question to curtail these life threatening injuries, Air Canada will withdraw its sponsorship of Hockey.

We are following progress on these mailers very closely and look forward to your response.

Regards,
(Signed by Denis Vandal)

cc: Mr. Pierre Boivin, President and CEO, Club de hockey Canadien, evenko and l'Arena des Canadiens Inc.
Mr. Cyril Leeder, President and Alternate Governor, Ottawa Senators
Mr. Richard Peddie, President and CEO, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd.
Mr. Ken King, President and Chief Executive Officer, Calgary Flames
Mr. Patrick LaForge, President and CEO, Edmonton Oilers
Mr. Mike Gillis, President, General Manager and Altemate Governor, NHL, Vancouver Canucks
Email: Ms DebbieJordan - djordan@nhl.com
Follow me on Twitter: @CCanadiens

rick

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:22 pm

like bettman said , if they wanna pull their sponser then so be it.. not only the nhl will suffer. air canada will suffer a huge loss as well............. the nhl will go to another airline...........

naFsratS

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:07 am

This is the type of play that happens probably a dozen times every game, just rubbing the player off the play. If you look you can see Chara is following the play up the ice as he is administering the hit, he is not even focusing on Pacioretty. This makes me believe that Chara was not out there with an intent to injury, but was performing a routine hockey play. Its unfortunate the severity of the injury but this is a different situation then all the other head injuries we've been seeing (Chara didn't target head) and I think the league got it right.

knockoutpunch

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:24 am

rick wrote:followed through on his hit... nothin more. just looks bad because of where it happened.............police getting invovled is only a joke.. they got nothin better to do .................

totally agree

superfan

Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:16 pm

rick wrote:followed through on his hit... nothin more. just looks bad because of where it happened.............police getting invovled is only a joke.. they got nothin better to do .................

... i agree the police should NOT be involved however i think the players should use more common sence and have more respect for each other in situations of this nature . i also think gary should of issued a five game supension for that very very dangerous and thoughtless check by chara.

Spider-Man NL

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:40 pm

the puck was long gone at the time of the hit and that Neanderthal was out looking for revenge over a shove to the back that Max gave him the game before.

yeah, he wasn't looking at Max alright. :roll:

Dr. Recchi and the Bruins came out a few days later and accused Pacioretty of diving and embellishing his injury....I wonder how someone can embellish a broken neck?? maybe Dr. Recchi knows the answer to that question, after all hes a Doctor. And I also wonder if they thought Horton was embellishing his injury after Rome caught him with a nice clean hit when his head was down?? I sure did.
ImageImage

• Information