Royals,red wings,jets,mariners may return

West Coast Senior Amateur Hockey League - Corner Brook Royals, Deer Lake Red Wings, Stephenville Jets & Port aux Basques Mariners.
royals hockey
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:28 am

There an article about it on the western star. Would be great hockey returns to the westcoast.http://www.thewesternstar.com/sports/ho ... yers-.html
Royals Fan GO ROYALS GO!!! Bleed blue white and red

superfan

Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:27 am

Local players only , how many fans do you think you will get ?

titan

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:29 am

royals hockey wrote:There an article about it on the western star. Would be great hockey returns to the westcoast.http://www.thewesternstar.com/sports/ho ... yers-.html
I hope it works out for you guys royals hockey, some great hockey communities mentioned there.

Hockey Eyes

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:35 am

The voice of reason on the west coast. THAT is the kind of hockey that can work and I don't have to tell you the people involved in that are good hockey people. . I wish them nothing but the best . It will be a different tone to the game but it will be great . Wh3en the league competes for the herder geography will mean strengthening players are in order....no problem at all. That would be good. In the end hockey in Newfoundland needs to be a coast to coast set-up with everybody pulling in one direction on the SAME rope. A great start to the return of west coast hockey is the list of people involved..... I think they will do it!!!!!!

royals hockey

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:06 am

superfan wrote:Local players only , how many fans do you think you will get ?
Will if it actually works out it would certainly be great to have something then nothing I for one would certainly support it. The cwshl would be the higher end talents and semi professional league but yet all teams on there is losing fan support for a number year now and some teams on there are beginning to feel that because not enough fans to help pay the bill hence my team the royals which is gone and another team almost pulled out. This could very will be the last year we will see that league which I hope It won't come to that and would rather see it grow but the way it is looking it isn't good. The aeshl on the other hand gets jab at all the time about fan attendance and the local players but they at least have been consistent and have survived for a long time now and is even growing with return of the breakers and cee bees getting back there as will and even a team from st john's itself. I'm guessing that is what the westcoast is trying to do and model after that and build on from there. Maybe down the road when all is settled and all teams is financially stable they can bring imports like 1 for each team and make a rule that will enforce with no loopholes of any sort otherwise it's back to square one.
Royals Fan GO ROYALS GO!!! Bleed blue white and red

Ivan

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:36 am

royals hockey wrote:There an article about it on the western star. Would be great hockey returns to the westcoast.http://www.thewesternstar.com/sports/ho ... yers-.html
Best of Luck and I hope things work out. The West Coast deserves Sr Hockey at whatever calibre the area can afford and sustain for the long term and I for one hope it gets off the ground. When you here names like Royals, Red Wings, jets, Mariners possibly coming back to Sr Hockey, if that don't get you excited about the game, nothing will.

thelionsden

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:59 am

I agree with Ivan 100%, the people on the west coast deserve to have senior hockey, at any level, and I too hope it gets off the ground and running.

But I can't let this slip by without making a comment about HNL helping where ever it can. If you want it to work folks....other than Andy Brake...leave everyone one else from HNL out of the loop of how your running your league and you will do fine. Good luck to you guys.

RKP49

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:40 pm

This is a positive first step but it is only a first step as there are many issues to be tackled.

First and foremost is where will the quality hockey players come from? Its easy to say eliminate imports but how will you get quality hockey players into Port aux Basques each week. The majority of senior quality hockey players in the province are on the East Coast so why would any player want to play in Port aux Basques unless there was a financial incentive.

If you start to fill teams with non senior quality hockey players you will have trouble getting fans to pay to watch this product as it will be a recreation league. So its a catch 22. Lower quality hockey less fan base.
The idea is sound but this new league should (in my opinion) appoint an independent Board of Directors to run it. You can't leave it to the local reps as they will not be able to see the big picture.

Lionsden is correct when he says HNL will find a way to shag it up. But on a positive note there has got to be a game plan somewhere. BUT the question remains where will be talent pool of players come from and how much will it cost to make this league competitive with the Avalon East. I doubt that Port aux Basques can fine six quality senior hockey players in that town and the same may apply to Deer Lake and Stephenville. So fundraing will be required just to get the local talent into these communities.

I haven't seen any real leadership from HNL on very many issues. They appear to be just a bunch of bumpkins looking to line their pockets. If they are serious about making this work then I look forward to seeing their game plan. Giving them the benefit of doubt I look forward with great interest in seeing their proposal on how the provincial hockey body can help.

Best of luck guys>

RKP49

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:50 pm

In Gander they are having trouble getting people out to watch the best hockey in years so getting folks to shell out dollars in this economy to watch lower quality hockey is a big ask. HNL should spend a few dollars of their money, develop a marketing stategy and play a direct leadership role. Hire a business consultant would be a good start Jack.

Unidentified Source

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:30 am

Seems like there's a real intent on keeping this a local league without even bringing players in from Central/East. Time will tell where these good intentions go if the league gets off the ground. At least it's an attempt. From what I can tell this league should be somewhere between the Central Intermediate League and AESHL calibre wise. Honestly, I don't see it getting close to the AESHL with local players, but that's the only thing that'll survive in these small communities. The minute you bring in 1 player from St. John's it goes right back to 2001 and we start again! The league is going to have to be able to support itself on 500 fans a game. It won't be anywhere close to the CWSHL, but even what they proposed should draw 500 in these communities. We might even see a few body checks and perhaps the odd scrap! So that alone would make it different from the CWSHL.

• Information