Players From Community

West Coast Senior Amateur Hockey League - Corner Brook Royals, Deer Lake Red Wings, Stephenville Jets & Port aux Basques Mariners.
HARLEE
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 am

The news states the players are from the community! What is the radius of a community. Does not seem right from a population perspective!

timbits

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:56 pm

Apparently Bishops Falls and Grand Falls are a part of the PAB community. I can see where this is going already.. Sad really that teams are already getting players to come in from 5-7 hours across the province. Nowhere near local players. And I know that some of the "local" players are living in St. Johns & other places for school & work, but getting players from Gfw & BF are totally different IMO.

Unidentified Source

Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:26 am

timbits wrote:... And I know that some of the "local" players are living in St. Johns & other places for school & work, but getting players from Gfw & BF are totally different IMO.
I don't think those two situations are different at all because either of them lead the league down the same old path. The concept of this league was local based to keep costs down and make it sustainable. Bringing former residents "back home" from St. John's drives up the cost of operation the same as bringing in some outside guy from GFW. Next you have a flight from St. John's on a Friday because someone has to work, and there she goes. Then it's 3-4 flights at $600 a pop, then there's another one of the boys from home living in Ontario like Paul Whalen back in the day. The league should have a defined geographic area of the west coast and unless you're a permanent resident of that area, then you can't play. Simple as that. But hey, I'm sure there are two car loads of players on the way from St. John's as we speak for the game tonight!

Jetsfan94

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:50 am

Unidentified Source wrote:
timbits wrote:... And I know that some of the "local" players are living in St. Johns & other places for school & work, but getting players from Gfw & BF are totally different IMO.
I don't think those two situations are different at all because either of them lead the league down the same old path. The concept of this league was local based to keep costs down and make it sustainable. Bringing former residents "back home" from St. John's drives up the cost of operation the same as bringing in some outside guy from GFW. Next you have a flight from St. John's on a Friday because someone has to work, and there she goes. Then it's 3-4 flights at $600 a pop, then there's another one of the boys from home living in Ontario like Paul Whalen back in the day. The league should have a defined geographic area of the west coast and unless you're a permanent resident of that area, then you can't play. Simple as that. But hey, I'm sure there are two car loads of players on the way from St. John's as we speak for the game tonight!
I agree that the league isn't meant to be the type of league where you pay the gas,hotel and expenses of players to play for the weekend. Once that happens we're just going to get into the same situation that has plagued past leagues. Knowing the rosters for all 4 teams and knowing a large number of players, I know that the Jets, Red Wings and Royals largely, if not all, local players to those areas. I can't speak to PAB and can only assume they're paying the traveling and staying expenses for about half of their roster. From watching the press conference it seems that paying these expenses are allowed and will be reviewed by the league committee to ensure these expenses arnt being overpaid. As for picking up players from CB and Deer Lakes areas, these players are supposed to be released from that area before signing anywhere else, so I guess this must be done ?? The signing players from central part I can not understand though and don't see how this is allowed as I was under the impression these players would be imports as they are not local to any teams area.

Marinerspab

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:13 pm

From pab and involved with the mariners there well be no players getting payed here if you want to come play hockey for the love of the game.

Marinerspab

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:15 pm

In pab area we only got roughly 5000 people for population not big numbers to pick from but still wanting to get a good game of hockey here in pab

Mysterious Unicorn

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:47 pm

[quote="HARLEE"]The news states the players are from the community! What is the radius of a community. Does not seem right from a population perspective![/quote

LOL there are players from Corner Brook on every team.

Royals2017

Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:58 pm

Exactly Unicorn, as coach I just find it rather funny that because I am of the mindset that if you don't want to play with us then go ahead and play with Deer Lake or Port aux Basques, but if I wanted to be a real pr*** I could have denied a lot of these guys a game of hockey. I really don't care if any of them play with us but I guarantee that if we came in with a strong team and had 1 player from another community they would be screaming blue murder. I understand that players have buddies and they want to play with them, but there was not one call made to us from Deer Lake or Port aux Basques to ask if we had any interest in these players. This was obviously communicated to the leaders of each team but it is obvious it was on deaf ears. In the fall this should be a major point of contention if they want to make this viable. Good luck.

Royals2017

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:05 pm

As for the social media, we apologize,it is a new group running this and I guarantee you that if this goes in the fall that there will be a full push on all aspects of marketing and promotion. The other centers haven't seen hockey in a decade or more and are obviously chomping at it, so great work on their behalf. This is only a short tournament and we will see what appetite our fickle fans of CB have for the local setup. I will tell you this much, with the limited lineup we had Sat night I saw more hits,intensity and effort than I saw in most of our regular season games over the past 4 years. Thanks to the fans who showed up in DL and things will only get better, great game by both teams with an instant rivalry formed, love it!!

Harem Scarem

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:05 pm

Royals2017 wrote:Exactly Unicorn, as coach I just find it rather funny that because I am of the mindset that if you don't want to play with us then go ahead and play with Deer Lake or Port aux Basques, but if I wanted to be a real pr*** I could have denied a lot of these guys a game of hockey. I really don't care if any of them play with us but I guarantee that if we came in with a strong team and had 1 player from another community they would be screaming blue murder. I understand that players have buddies and they want to play with them, but there was not one call made to us from Deer Lake or Port aux Basques to ask if we had any interest in these players. This was obviously communicated to the leaders of each team but it is obvious it was on deaf ears. In the fall this should be a major point of contention if they want to make this viable. Good luck.
You are one game into this mini season and you are already bitching! Come on man. I see one player on the Red Wings roster that is originally from Corner Brook and that is Josh Skinner. Anyone else? Corner Brook is a city of close to 20000 people and the other three locations are small towns. Don't be such an A$$!

• Information