Updates of current games

West Coast Senior Amateur Hockey League - Corner Brook Royals, Deer Lake Red Wings, Stephenville Jets & Port aux Basques Mariners.
top cheese
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:54 am

Realistically - how long do you think it will take for players in this league to be paid. The level of play is probably very weak below junior b level. If the cwshl ceases operations and all those "local" players become available my guess is that under a full season these wchl teams will start bidding for services to keep pace. History shows that senior hockey executives have no discipline and the players are greedy. Even if I was a current player 1500people x 8 dollars is a lot of money plus extra for 50/50. Previous debt from these organization will go out the door pretty quickly

Mysterious Unicorn

Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:45 pm

top cheese wrote:Realistically - how long do you think it will take for players in this league to be paid. The level of play is probably very weak below junior b level. If the cwshl ceases operations and all those "local" players become available my guess is that under a full season these wchl teams will start bidding for services to keep pace. History shows that senior hockey executives have no discipline and the players are greedy. Even if I was a current player 1500people x 8 dollars is a lot of money plus extra for 50/50. Previous debt from these organization will go out the door pretty quickly
Gonna have to pay them next year, no one is going to play a full season for free with the team owners raking in all the money. Also you'll get better local players. I know a lot of good players who didn't play this year for various reasons one of which being they are not interested in playing for free.

top cheese

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Looking at the current rosters this amounts to competitive rec hockey or Senior C. Eventually the excitement of having community hockey back will die down and the on ice product will have to improve to get people in the rink and keep the teams going. Like I said, teams will quickly revert back to the way things are because at the end of the day senior teams want to win ( teams have to do it to stay afloat) and the only way to do that is to bring in players from outside the community which means spending money. Teams will pull every trick in the book to get wins - there is nothing historically in senior hockey that says this wont change especially based on someone saying something in a press conference.

Lets hope the CWSHL can get its act together and work together towards making things sustainable with a 4th team next year. IMO if people could work together we could have a proper 5-7 team high level provincial league with parity. and regional senior B leagues that could act as a feeder.

Oh just a fan

Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:05 pm

We all know its only a matter of time before this league is gone to the garbage too. I can promise you that the Mariners are paying their players already. There's no way in the world that Cantwell and Drover drive over from centrel without any money exchanging hands. They used to pay their Jr's for crying out loud.

timbits

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:47 pm

Oh just a fan wrote:We all know its only a matter of time before this league is gone to the garbage too. I can promise you that the Mariners are paying their players already. There's no way in the world that Cantwell and Drover drive over from centrel without any money exchanging hands. They used to pay their Jr's for crying out loud.
100%!! the boys are travelling all the way to PAB for nothing

Oh just a fan

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:15 pm

Sure they are.

timbits

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:20 am

Oh just a fan wrote:Sure they are.
LOL! it was sarcasm, there's no way in hell they're playing for nothing. But look at the new topic I just started in this section guys, looks like there's a storm brewing in this league already...

Oh just a fan

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Thought it was sarcasm but hard to tell tone of voice on this ol thing.

Unidentified Source

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:40 pm

Oh just a fan wrote: that Cantwell and Drover drive over from centrel
From what I can tell they haven't played and won't be playing. Not sure what all the fuss is about for 2 non-players.

Oh just a fan

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:41 pm

You're right they haven't played. But the fuss was if they were allowed to. Both of those players would be the top 5 players in the league. That's why other teams had a fuss. I personally think they should be allowed to play. Pay em for all I care, we all know PAB will fill the rink and can afford it. Just don't turn into a AESHL and say you don't. Or turn into the Central West League and overpay and ruin the league.

• Information