Unfolding Events??

West Coast Senior Amateur Hockey League - Corner Brook Royals, Deer Lake Red Wings, Stephenville Jets & Port aux Basques Mariners.
timbits
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:19 am

Heard through the grapevine that HNL/WCSHL are now changing up the rules and allowing only local players for the 4 teams, I have been told that all the players from PAB that are from Bishop Falls, CB, Etc have been informed that they cannot play with PAB anymore.. After playing 4 or more games, NOW they change the rules. Another FARCE in senior hockey if this is true. I do understand that PAB is a small town compared to the other centres, and I do not agree with bringing in players from Bishops, but why not bring in a few from Cb if the royals didn't want them? MY understanding is that PAB's team will be cut in half if this is infact true as they do not have many locals.. Can anyone shed some light on this? Sounds like another sh*tshow from the circus! The league could be failing before it even gets off the ground...

Unidentified Source

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:42 am

I've heard something similar, but with a little twist. The teams of the league got together to look at all the players that might be questionable (all teams had at least 2-3) and there was a league vote on either let all roster go as is for the year or tell those players identified they couldn't play. PAB and S'ville voted to keep going as is and CB-DL voted to throw those players out. The league Pres broke the tie and so a dozen or so players now can't play the rest of the season! Just as the icing on the cake, Hockey No Longer waded in after the fact and made an even bigger mess of things! Overruling some decisions of the league and asking certain teams to vote by email on certain players. The league was fine with the vote but then HNL had to make it even worst. From what I can tell it's still up in the air if Deer Lake and PAB will fold before tonight's games. I think it's safe to say the league is a gong show and won't be around next year. If they can even finish this year.

timbits

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:22 pm

Absolutely terrible!! Of course the gongshow from the Avalon had to step in, they probably don't even know where PAB or the other towns are for god sakes. This is sad as I was excited to see how this league went as this is all that there will be in central soon enough. I was cheering for the survival and success of this new league!

top cheese

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:15 pm

Since the league is only at an experiment stage this season and these players where already allowed to play they should be allowed to continue for the rest of the season.

Like I said before, as much as this new "league" wants to promote itself as all local and no pay. There is NO and I mean NO WAY that teams will not try to circumvent the rules or principles to this and will be back to what has been status quo to what always has been the norm for the past 20 years.

1) There is not enough "local" players for these teams to remain operational and competitive to bring fans in
2) Locals only amount to a rec league
3) Your club makes 20g a game on the gate its not going to operational costs only
4) People want to win, they want to one up the other teams they do that the only way they know how

HNL should be promoting a senior AAA league in this province but if this is to continue. LOCAL should be born in the community or played minor hockey there. If a LOCAL player is released from the teams 20 player roster then the can play elsewhere. All other players go in a draft. Simple and solved.

Oh just a fan

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:43 pm

Amen to that cheese.

Crackerjack

Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:59 pm

What has happened: Each team has lost 2-3 players due to a miscommunication with HNL over registration deadlines. HNL imposed an initial deadline back in February, but that was lifted when it was clear that the league wouldn't begin play until sometime in March and teams were still identifying players. The league/teams were operating under the impression that they had to have a roster into HNL by March 1 but did not realize that March 1 was actually a final deadline for player additions. Players added after that date are ineligible for the remainder of the exhibition series.

Port aux Basques Mariners: Have the smallest geographic region to draw from and smallest population to pull from. That, coupled with the short notice of trying to put together a full hockey team inside of 6 weeks, led the league to grant the Mariners permission to add players from central Newfoundland as this region is outside of all the others, but only for this season. The Mariners are confident they can find more local players, but the issue is that many of them are working away and doing turnarounds in Alberta.

Payment: Players are unpaid. Teams are allowed to pay for travel, accommodations, equipment, but pay for service of players is prohibited. This is the main reason why Corner Brook has such a young team, the more well-known veteran senior players refused to play unless they were paid for their services.

Level of play: Nobody is coming out to these games expecting to see the AHL. The appeal here is that you are coming out to support your own guys. When you go to the rink, everybody in the building knows somebody playing. The play has good pace, there's plenty of physicality, and you get a fight each game, which puts people in the seats. From the fans that have actually come out and watched games, they say they are enjoying the physicality and intensity that has been absent from senior hockey for a number of years.

Mysterious Unicorn

Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:22 pm

So what players are no longer allowed to play? Anyone know?

herder head

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:08 pm

Great to see your new league had a successful start and I hope it lasts. If I was out that way I would definitely take in some games. But IMO it's going to be hard to keep the money out of players' hands. With big crowds come big gates and it won't be long for players start looking for their cut, can't really blame them when they are putting themselves at the risk of injury for the purpose of providing entertainment. Happened our this way in the mid 90s when we formed a senior team after a long absence. Lots of money taken in at the gate and players wanted their share.

Don't want to see any towns lose their hockey but I can't see the Central league surviving next season. Doubtful if the Bous will join the east league because they don't have enough local players to fill out their roster. If not next season the season after we will likely see the Avalon East champ against the west coast champ for the Herder with the west champ being permitted strengthening players. Funny how senior hockey goes in cycles.

• Information