More flux now more than ever!!!

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Seniorfan
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:27 pm

Hockey58 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:22 am
How can the flyers and cats expect the local teams from the east to play against them when they have paid players which makes for stacked teams the whole thing needs to be revamped and each team have their own territorial players my opinion of course
Three team added players by way of a draft system. They couldn't just buy players. Five key players were taken by way of the draft after they were passed over by all other teams. Built their team by doing their homework.

NLHockeyInsider

Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:35 pm

Seniorfan wrote:
[quote=Hockey58 post_id=214457 time=<a href="tel:1574308350">1574308350</a> user_id=4064]
How can the flyers and cats expect the local teams from the east to play against them when they have paid players which makes for stacked teams the whole thing needs to be revamped and each team have their own territorial players my opinion of course
Three team added players by way of a draft system. They couldn't just buy players. Five key players were taken by way of the draft after they were passed over by all other teams. Built their team by doing their homework.
[/quote]

If you’re talking about Wicks, Lindstrom, Cole, Bussey then you are only telling half truths. A lot of hockey people out here on the Avalon know how good those kids are from their Major Midget days and teams have been trying to get them here on the Avalon since they came home from Junior A. They played with the Cataracts because of money, not because “no one else wanted them”.

royalcat

Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:03 pm

These guys were passed up and the Cat’s took them and gave these guys a place to grow and play.Now the east is going to have to up their pay salaries.Don’t say no money Is changing hands out east.You will see after this season,that is if some of these teams are still around after Christmas .These guys are great players and I hope the east realizes what they are getting.

BluesFan

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:12 am

royalcat wrote:
These guys were passed up and the Cat’s took them and gave these guys a place to grow and play.Now the east is going to have to up their pay salaries.Don’t say no money Is changing hands out east.You will see after this season,that is if some of these teams are still around after Christmas .These guys are great players and I hope the east realizes what they are getting.
Passed up by who? and royalcat you are always claiming the east has no fans or money. So, how might you suggest the east "pay " these players? I will say it now i agree certain players on each team deserve to get some sort of compensation but does it happen? NO.

NLHockeyInsider

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:45 am

royalcat wrote:
I don’t know where you get the “passed up” notion from or the narrative that no one thought these guys were any good. Because you’re wrong, there’s lots of people here on the Avalon who knew how good these guys were from their Major Midget days when they won a bronze medal at the 2010 TELUS Cup in Quebec and then Wicks and Lindstrom played the next year with the Privateers at the TELUS Cup hosted at Mile One which featured future NHL’ers Sam Reinhart and Alex Kerfoot. I know this because I was there and watched games at this tournament.

The real fact of the matter is that no one could offer what the Cataracts were willing to pay them so the Cats maneuvered their way in drafts to select these guys and pay them quite well.

santana500

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:02 pm

They were passed up in the draft back a number of years ago. Cats being low in the draft took them. No more than that too it.

BluesFan

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:15 pm

Which draft? Some central players only put their name in that draft and didn't enter the east. For example, Lindstrom as you guys previously mentioned. As for players that were "passed" up, wicks was drafted by the blues as well as the cats.

Seniorfan

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:18 pm

NLHockeyInsider wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:35 pm
Seniorfan wrote:
[quote=Hockey58 post_id=214457 time=<a href="tel:1574308350">1574308350</a> user_id=4064]
If you’re talking about Wicks, Lindstrom, Cole, Bussey then you are only telling half truths. A lot of hockey people out here on the Avalon know how good those kids are from their Major Midget days and teams have been trying to get them here on the Avalon since they came home from Junior A. They played with the Cataracts because of money, not because “no one else wanted them”.
[/quote]
Of course that's who I'm talking about. I mentioned them by name previously. All these players were taken in various drafts by the Cataracts after having been passed on by the other teams in the CWSHL. The other teams had the opportunity to draft all of them before the Cataracts. If they'd been drafted by Gander or Clarenville that's where they would be playing. It's got nothing to do with money. Clearly you don't have a good handle on how players ended up on various teams off the Avalon.

NLHockeyInsider

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:31 pm

Clearly has everything to do with money or they would have played in the East. Not hard to figure out.

BluesFan

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:59 pm

They put there names in a draft that the league is known to pay players and that it is allowed. How doesnt it have anything to do with money? You might be correct that gander or cville never picked them but the main point of this is that they picked a league that payed players over a league that does not. Why is that concept so hard to grasp?

• Information