Cats vs Gander League

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
aseyeseesit
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:29 pm

As my father would always point out: - "No news..... is no news".

The Hunter

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:13 pm

aseyeseesit wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:29 pm
As my father would always point out: - "No news..... is no news".
Heard some news today regarding the Flyers.
Apparently they have released all their players to go play elsewhere.
Merry Xmas and Goodnight

Seniorfan

Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:17 am

No truth to this.

#1BousFan

Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:27 am

Seniorfan wrote:
No truth to this.
He was being sarcastic lol
Clarenville Caribous 2018 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous--2012 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2011 Allan Cup Champions
Clarenville Caribous- -2010 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2009 Herder Champions

Seniorfan

Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:46 pm

#1BousFan wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:27 am
Seniorfan wrote:
No truth to this.
He was being sarcastic lol
He made a statement that was not true. There are many people who believe anything posted here. That's why all the misinformation spread on this site has caused so much trouble lately. A few questions. How was that sarcasm? How do you know he was even trying to be sarcastic? Why did you use an "lol"? What was humorous?

aseyeseesit

Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:16 pm

'Seniorfan' , to follow up on your most accurate response to the ungrounded slur posted by 'TheHunter' - that "the Flyers released all their player to go play elsewhere" - I would like to update affairs as a result of my coming across some direct connection, (by chance), just a couple of days ago with a friend of mine working with the Cataracts...
He told me that the Cats and Flyers are pretty much in constant contact concerning hockey start-up after Xmas holidays. And, he noted that the Flyers are very much 'in' on the plan to go in the New Year with themselves and the Cats.
He also indicated that they are still working directly with HNL during this time , (before the coming new year), on the same 'plan' as was revealed back in the fall - to get help from another team / teams(?) , to make a more palatable arrangement for games not only between Gander and GFW.
So, no one has abandoned the plan to find a way to keep Senior hockey alive in central!

Also, on Xmas Eve, on the Cats Official Facebook Page posted Xmas morning, there was a video of a crowd at the GFW Mall taking part in the organization's big Annual Xmas Ticket Draw - of prizes and cash valued at $20,000+.00. And, in a closing caption with that video 'report' was a reminder to all fans and supporters : ... " See you at the Joe after Christmas! "

NLHockeyInsider

Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:06 am

So what exactly is happening with this? No schedule or rosters released yet.

As mentioned in the previous post, HockeyNL is still trying to find a team or teams to play against the Cats and Flyers. I find it very hard to think that will actually happen. None of the teams in the ECSHL even have half of their 20 game schedule played, with some teams with as few as 6 games played. The WCSHL has already missed games due to poor weather. If this is actually true it’ll be May before the Herder is even awarded. Seems to me HNL is about to cause a major inconvenience to all the other teams to please a few people in Central NL. There should have been a deadline set in November or December for this to be settled and if the deadline wasn’t met, too bad so sad and start planning for the 2020-2021 season.

Oh just a fan

Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:34 am

There’s a lot of naive people if GFW. That still think this is going to happen. Sad thing is if it does happen. Not keeping fans in the loop all summer/fall/ now winter isn’t going to help put bums in the seats. Unless they’re giving tickets away.

titan

Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:46 am

Don't see it happening, they still don't know what teams are playing. There was supposed to have been a draft on the 16th but not even a sound if it went ahead or not. Lack of players on both sides is an issue unless they are going to raid the intermediate league with $. Still in talks with HNL?? If you don't know by now who's playing you are in trouble. Kudos to the volunteers for giving it their all but I just don't see it and if it starts I dont see it lasting

aseyeseesit

Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:23 pm

The problem the Cats and Flyers have with needing "other" teams to play against, is the exact same problem that all teams off the Avalon have, and that is finding enough players - no matter the level of skill: Whether Senior West, Intermediate Central or Senior Central.
The Senior West Coast Official Team Facebooks have continuously noted the short benches and lack of enough players for their far-flung Port aux Basques team. Their games have been blow-outs or cancelled games...
In Intermediate Central, one of their six teams has already folded for lack of players - the Springdale Braves. And many of the players on at least three of their remaining other teams are from somewhere other than that team's area : ie. (1) The Triton team has a number of former PAB Mariners; (2) The Lewisporte Seahawks have several players, (on loan at present), from the Gander Flyers, until the Flyers begin play; and, (3) The newest North East/ 'Straight Shore' team out of Wesleyville has former CWSHL players and players from the Avalon.
Bottom line is that no matter -paid or not type of central/west Leagues - our population is small and there just is a totally inadequate pool of players to find - without 'outside' help from more populated areas of the province.( PAB for example has very few local players available).
Also, the really big, 'other' problem for ALL west coast and central Leagues is travel distances and keeping players committed to all the travel time and cost of playing games: (1)For example, PAB is a long drive in winter (or anytime) from Deer Lake; (2)and, for Central Intermediate teams, Baie Verte/Triton are a long ways from Wesleyville!

P.S. By the way, there was a CWSHL Draft last week for the Flyers and Cats, and there were very few Applications - six players, with a number already playing in Intermediate hockey. (Not sure if either the Cats or Flyers picked up any of them?)

• Information