Is there going to be any Hockey in Central?

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
royalcat
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:19 pm

Just saw that the east is going down to 15 games from 20.

titan

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:36 pm

Seniorfan wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:14 pm
I'd be shocked if there wasn't an announcement of a schedule in the next day or two. I'm hearing there will definitely be hockey in Central this month
Were you shocked when you didn't hear an announcement?

Seniorfan

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:22 pm

I said I would be, so obviously the answer is "yes".

aseyeseesit

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:12 pm

Seniorfan, no need to be too shocked though, since you were pretty close in anticipating our long-hoped for CWSHL "announcement" by this week.
I am hearing that your anticipated announcement was probably ready for this week, but some player travel and stadium availability issues arose , so that GFW and Gander won't kick off play next weekend , on Jan.25th weekend - a date that has been 'out there' for some time now as a projected start-up date for the two central teams.
Anyway, the following weekend to that "Jan.25th target start-up date" is now what I am hearing will be the opening weekend ...
Now HNL, bring on the Herder in March? Central's rep will be there , ready to defend Central's Cats' 2019 Championship!

catsfan200

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:00 pm

Gander posted this

Hockey Update

We appreciate the patience of our fans and apologize for lack of updates lately but we have been working hard behind the scenes to try and secure hockey even for a short season. We are as anxious as everyone to get going and see our team on the ice. The team will look much different than in the past with more focus on local players for sure with some old faces returning! Stay tuned.

Hockey will be returning to the Steele Community Centre on Feb 1st with our Home Opener against the Grand Falls Cataracts at 730 pm . Details to follow!

We are currently looking for new Executive members and volunteers. As you know organizations like the Kelly Ford Gander Flyers depend on the volunteers in our community and the fan support. If you are interested in helping out in any way please contact me Geoff Goldsworthy on Messenger!

Updates to follow..

Geoff Goldsworthy
GM & Asst Coach
Kelly Ford Gander Flyers
2011 Herder Champions
2014 Herder Champions
2015 Herder Champions
2016 Herder Champions
Go Cats Go!

Follow me on twitter @markie800200

Oh just a fan

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:56 pm

Who are the Grand Falls Cataracts?

icefan

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:36 pm

Oh just a fan wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:56 pm
Who are the Grand Falls Cataracts?
I was wondering that myself. Must be a team from New Brunswick.

Oh just a fan

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:49 am

Got to be yep.

Seniorfan

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:13 pm

I confess I'm getting very concerned there has been nothing but silence from the Cataracts. Is this happening or not?

aseyeseesit

Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:33 pm

Seniorfan -- our 'faith' in the show ever getting 'on the road' is definitely being tested!
But, I am hearing that the Cats and Flyers are still going to begin their season next weekend , on Sat./Sun. Feb.1st/2nd... The Opener is in Gander with the Sunday affair in GFW...
(That info - "with more to follow", as the info went in the posting - was in a Flyers Facebook release last week by Flyers President, Geoff Goldsworthy.
I am also hearing that a full Release - those 'details to follow' - will provide the details and dates and venues of a 12 game schedule, to happen with an official announcement , for both the Flyers and Cats , on this Thursday!
The working out of the schedule apparently has in fact been a bit of a hurdle, being so late in the world of stadium bookings, and the already operating users of both rinks(?) in Gander and GFW. .... Whatever 'rink logistics' are to unfold, the teams will have 6 Home games each to play with an anticipated 6 weekends over the two months of Feb. and Mar. That's 6 wknds out of 8 wknds available to complete the Schedule.
Let's get it on ; and see how HNL , the East and/or West fit into what would now be an island-wide picture, with the Herder somewhere among it ?

• Information