Is there going to be any Hockey in Central?

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
#1BousFan
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:34 pm

They announced that a while back I am sure
Clarenville Caribous 2018 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous--2012 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2011 Allan Cup Champions
Clarenville Caribous- -2010 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2009 Herder Champions

Snapshot

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:23 pm

#1BousFan wrote:
Awhile ago they were hoping but not 100% sure.

#1BousFan

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:29 am

#1BousFan wrote:
Oh ok

Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:10 pm

This is nuts. No news yet.

Seniorfan

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:14 pm

I'd be shocked if there wasn't an announcement of a schedule in the next day or two. I'm hearing there will definitely be hockey in Central this month

aseyeseesit

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:02 pm

The word I am hearing is that GFW and Gander are in the last stages of actually working out a 12 game schedule, to start in the next two weeks! ... It is clearly late to be trying to put things together !! BUT, even getting off the 'ground' late is better than having no hockey.
On the logistics side of things, both teams will now need to finalize stadium dates, which at this point will be more difficult, but not ' fatal'. It is a given, that Stadiums are already booked on many dates by many users.
As well, players need to be now nailed down, with Gander having some players already elsewhere currently. And, who of those playing elsewhere will still come back etc?.
New players may have to be added for both teams - territorial picks , and maybe - once all confirmed as an "a-go" - even another version of a 'final' Draft?
Stay tuned.

NLHockeyInsider

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:43 pm

aseyeseesit wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:02 pm
The word I am hearing is that GFW and Gander are in the last stages of actually working out a 12 game schedule, to start in the next two weeks! ... It is clearly late to be trying to put things together !! BUT, even getting off the 'ground' late is better than having no hockey.
On the logistics side of things, both teams will now need to finalize stadium dates, which at this point will be more difficult, but not ' fatal'. It is a given, that Stadiums are already booked on many dates by many users.
As well, players need to be now nailed down, with Gander having some players already elsewhere currently. And, who of those playing elsewhere will still come back etc?.
New players may have to be added for both teams - territorial picks , and maybe - once all confirmed as an "a-go" - even another version of a 'final' Draft?
Stay tuned.
This nonsense is still being talked about? I don’t understand why both teams don’t just take the year off and do the proper planning and preparations and do their due diligence in maybe attracting another team or two to play with them. This is just silly at this point, so is this going to be 12 games against each other then a 7 game playoff series? What an asinine idea.

Oh just a fan

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:57 pm

January 13th and they still aren’t playing hockey. Shut er down.

#1BousFan

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:42 pm

I can see where they wanna keep hockey alive in central & both teams wanna play hockey & that, It seems to be rush rush, They are prob better off starting next season, They would have a lot time to get everything ready & have a full 20 game schedule & all that stuff, If they can get 12 games in then it's better then none I guess, Have to wait & see how it all pans out

aseyeseesit

Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:45 pm

The way I see it, is that if the Cats and Flyers were to just fold, so that there is no hockey this year, it would be very difficult to just pick up next year... Just too many uncertainties!
The big concern by many, many fans and supporters out here ,is, that if the teams just stop playing, re-starting is not so easy.
That is why so much effort has been put into trying to "find" another team(s), to make playing more entertaining and interesting for players and fans alike. But, it finally,(I guess), seems at this very late date , (with time just 'running out' on that solution at this point), that the getting of another team this year is just not going to happen .
Thus, despite the big, big efforts over the last months, the two central hockey organizations have no alternative, if we want any hockey at all for central Senior hockey, but to do a two-team series of weekends over the next couple of months. And it definitely needs to start asap - without any further delay.
IMO, it is always better,(no matter how 'bad'), to at least stay alive than to just 'die'.
Both organizations have put a lot into operating, and still fundamentally have lots of life and hockey talent on their rosters. Certainly staying around gives one a better chance: To live and fight another day!

• Information