What A Joke!!

NL Major Midget "AAA" - St. John's Maple Leafs, Western Kings, Central IcePak, and the Northern Huskies.
AAAFAN1
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:51 am

Hope Jack Lee and HNL are pleased with the first 2 games in St. John's this weekend. No wonder NL kids aren't getting a sniff from the mainland teams anymore.

Blast97

Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:46 pm

Why what happened?

geoela

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:42 pm

Former Fog Devils won 10-0 Friday and 10-1 Saturday, only to lose (cough cough, laugh laugh) Sunday, 3-2. Amazing how a team can win so big twice, and then orchestrate a loss in the 3rd game. Someone is trying to make Jack (or the league situation) look good. Give it up. It is a 5 team league, with one powerhouse put together for the Telus Cup. It could have been great. But no...someone (we all know who) had to screw it all up. And for what? So a few men could have a run at the Telus Cup. Lets face it...we all know this is not about kids here. If it were, there would be 2 even teams out of St. John's. It's all about grown men wanting things their way, and stacking one team to try to get it. Sickening. Maybe next year folks. Maybe next year it will be done right. It was close this year. The remaining 5 teams could have a great league tho.

nfpuck

Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:25 am

So you want a weak team representing the province in a national tournament because they will beat the rest handly. Well maybe the rest of island should develop there coaches and then there kids so they can keep with the st. john's team. Yes there should have been 2.. and there will be next year, but when hosting a national tournament you need to put your best team on the ice, and not make a mockery of Newfoundland.
Are you suggesting that they threw a game to make Jack Lee or the League look good. REALLY? I'll assume you weren't at the game to see the Pennecon team play terrible while Andrew Mattheson stand on his head and get his team the win. It would have been the same friday if he had played well.
I sound a little bitter. I guess your son is gonna be beat by the big bad telus cup team.

geoela

Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:19 am

Since my last post has vanished, I'll try it again. I think I know what you are TRYING to say in your first paragraph. It is a little hard to follow. Anyway, the coaching outside of St. John's is not an issue. There are many great coaches in the province. Stacking one team IS the problem. If you are indeed a hockey dad who is watching your son play against the stacked Privateers, I know your pain. I have been there years ago. Now, I will say this one more time. When the Privateers want your team to lose, then you will lose. Simple. They are the "A" or "Allstar" team, and you are the leftover "B" or "Developmental" team. They can, and will, beat you at their convenience. Now, if I am wrong here, (and it has happened a couple of times before..haha) and your Maple Leafs beat the Privateers on a regular basis, AND in the Telus Cup (if you get there), then the Privateers staff who picked their team should be major embarrassed. But, it would look good on them.

I will admit to not having a kid playing hockey now. I am just a plain old hockey fan who likes to see kids get a chance to play and develop, and who likes to see things done RIGHT, and NOT the way it is being done now. There is a such thing as freedom of speech; freedom to express your opinions on certain subjects that are of interest to you. Some d**kh**d poster apparently don't me to do that, and apparently whoever deleted my last post don't want me to do that either. Too bad.

In closing, I made a few posts on this Midget AAA forum last year. I may or may not post on this subject again. However, that will be my decision to make. If it censored again, that is out of my control, but it is unfortunate. I wish your team good luck against the Privateers and the rest. And remember, don't take it too hard. You do learn to live all of those losses down, and there IS great life after minor hockey is finished.

nfpuck

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:26 am

geoela wrote:Since my last post has vanished, I'll try it again. I think I know what you are TRYING to say in your first paragraph. It is a little hard to follow. Anyway, the coaching outside of St. John's is not an issue. There are many great coaches in the province. Stacking one team IS the problem. If you are indeed a hockey dad who is watching your son play against the stacked Privateers, I know your pain. I have been there years ago. Now, I will say this one more time. When the Privateers want your team to lose, then you will lose. Simple. They are the "A" or "Allstar" team, and you are the leftover "B" or "Developmental" team. They can, and will, beat you at their convenience. Now, if I am wrong here, (and it has happened a couple of times before..haha) and your Maple Leafs beat the Privateers on a regular basis, AND in the Telus Cup (if you get there), then the Privateers staff who picked their team should be major embarrassed. But, it would look good on them.

I will admit to not having a kid playing hockey now. I am just a plain old hockey fan who likes to see kids get a chance to play and develop, and who likes to see things done RIGHT, and NOT the way it is being done now. There is a such thing as freedom of speech; freedom to express your opinions on certain subjects that are of interest to you. Some d**kh**d poster apparently don't me to do that, and apparently whoever deleted my last post don't want me to do that either. Too bad.

In closing, I made a few posts on this Midget AAA forum last year. I may or may not post on this subject again. However, that will be my decision to make. If it censored again, that is out of my control, but it is unfortunate. I wish your team good luck against the Privateers and the rest. And remember, don't take it too hard. You do learn to live all of those losses down, and there IS great life after minor hockey is finished.
LOVE to know how they are stacking a team. They are choosing kids they are alotted to chose from. Is it there fault that the kids outside the overpast aren't as good? No. Again, they need have a strong team to compete against the teams on the mainland. The "prep" schools who take the best from all over canada top lay midget aaa.

I believe every kid has a chance to develop, but why fault the privateers forplayin within there system with there talent from the area they are allowed topick and beating everyone so handly. You wouldn't go in there room and say, ok guys lets take it easy on these guys tonight.

Just my 2 cents

geoela

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:50 am

Ok. I tried to be nice.

You obviously don't have a clue about the state of midget hockey in NFLD. Actually, I don't think you have a clue, period. The Privateers must think that kids from outside the overpass are pretty good, as they have been recruiting them to play for their team for a while now. (this recruiting process started when they were known as the Fog Devils) Also, the majority of players who have played in the NHL, and who are currently playing in the NHL, from NFLD, are from outside the overpass. Your 2 cents are just as allowed as mine. But, you are so off base in your thinking, I'm not sure if it is more laughable, or more to be pitied.

Hey, wait a minute...are you Jack Lee?

nfpuck

Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:31 pm

Where did the nhl come into it???.. Isn't this a midget aaa chat. At least what i thought

Anyways back to the discussion. My point is, how can u beat on the Privateers for beating these teams handly when they are playing with the players that came to there try-out( I'm sure as you know they had to go to the Privateers try-out before the leafs because the people of Hockey Newfoundland want a strong host team). Sure they think they are good, but again I ask to you, how are they stacking a team like you posted? I just dont see it.

So what do you purpose? I mean the set-up has been the same for many years, and as i recall 4 or 5 years ago there wasn't that much of an issue. The days of Robert Slaney and before that Dan Ryder there was good hockey and the St. John's leafs(at that time) still picked from the same pool this Privateers team is picking from ( minus scott walsh the goalie who is from corner brook but lives in st johns).

I know for a fact that next year they are thinking about the same set-up as the doug marshall hockey league for the 2 teams in st.john's, that being any bantam kid coming in will have a draft and then decide where is he playing. If that doesn't fly, which im sure it won't, personally i would like to see what was actually instilled in August, whatever team you want to play for in St. John's you will be able to play for. But for this year, while hosting nationals, You NEED a strong team.

Ice Pak

Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:31 pm

Just to give you a little back round information on this league. The Maple Leafs and the old fog devils were told that they could go out and recruit. This was the case till the Leafs went and recruited 10 players from the fog devils team last year. Then HNL Stepped in and told the players that they HAD to tryout for the Telus Cup team before they could go to the Leafs tryout. I think there is something wrong with this. If Wally Bray was running a good show over there you would think that all the players would want to play for the telus cup. It says a lot that over 10 of them signed on to play with the second team that will not be at the telus cup. Matheson from gander moved into St.johns (the best goalie on the island) and the first thing he told Wally bray was to cut him and there was no way he would play for the Privateers. If HNL didnt step in the Privateers wouldnt have a hope in hell of winning the league let along the atlantics or telus.

nfpuck

Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:39 pm

Ice Pak wrote:Just to give you a little back round information on this league. The Maple Leafs and the old fog devils were told that they could go out and recruit. This was the case till the Leafs went and recruited 10 players from the fog devils team last year. Then HNL Stepped in and told the players that they HAD to tryout for the Telus Cup team before they could go to the Leafs tryout. I think there is something wrong with this. If Wally Bray was running a good show over there you would think that all the players would want to play for the telus cup. It says a lot that over 10 of them signed on to play with the second team that will not be at the telus cup. Matheson from gander moved into St.johns (the best goalie on the island) and the first thing he told Wally bray was to cut him and there was no way he would play for the Privateers. If HNL didnt step in the Privateers wouldnt have a hope in hell of winning the league let along the atlantics or telus.
I agree. There is soemthing wrong with it, but newfoundland midget hockey has never been in thsi position. 2 midget teams in the same area going after the same players. If this was next year you would see the rule of go wherever you want, but with the telsu cup and wanting a strong team, they felt it was best to have all kids tryout for the top team.

How many of those kids that signed either played with tri pen last year? I'd bet dollars to donuts at least 7 to 8 then through in matheson.

• Information