Cats Vs Ceebees (Updates-Game-2)

Herder Memorial Championship - Newfoundland Senior Hockey Championship for the Senior "A" leagues.
Slapshot
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:50 pm

gallerygod wrote:i remember the 1968 stanley cup final. the st.louis blues lost to the montreal canadiens in four straight games. two of the four went into overtime and all four games were decided by one goal. were the blues considered a great team..not...a loss is a loss is a loss. no matter by one goal or ten..fact remains the cee bees have now lost 10 of their last 12 games in the herder..that's not being competitive.
Man you must be old!

Seriously though - what do you suggest is the solution to this dilemma?

goboosgo

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:17 pm

Slapshot wrote:
gallerygod wrote:the ceebees have a winning percentage of .166 in their last 12 herder games. that's not good..that's woeful. they need to play at least .800 hockey to win the herder. the odds are not in their favour. they must win two out of three on the road. again, the odds are not in their favour. this ain't mount pearl. this is the herder. and i got to wonder if another win for the west will pose a lot of questions regarding the future of this league.
Yes Gallerygod it is time for the AESHL to give up on local players and start paying hired guns to fly in on the weekend so they can win the Herder back. I checked the Cataracts website and accoring to that site they have all of one player who indicated he currently lives in Grand-Falls Windsor. If the AESHL hired four imports and dominated the west then what does the west do - hire eight imports?? Come on - the only reason the west is competitive is because of the imports most of whom had no idea where GFW was before this year. So lets not get on here and talk about the future of the league. The west will spend themselves out of business soon enough.[/quote]

It would be interesting to see the payroll of the four western teams.....but it would also be interesting to see the payroll of the two big eastern teams as well.....then we may have a clear view of who may be spending themselves out of business.

catsfan4

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:20 pm

Slapshot wrote:
gallerygod wrote:the ceebees have a winning percentage of .166 in their last 12 herder games. that's not good..that's woeful. they need to play at least .800 hockey to win the herder. the odds are not in their favour. they must win two out of three on the road. again, the odds are not in their favour. this ain't mount pearl. this is the herder. and i got to wonder if another win for the west will pose a lot of questions regarding the future of this league.
Yes Gallerygod it is time for the AESHL to give up on local players and start paying hired guns to fly in on the weekend so they can win the Herder back. I checked the Cataracts website and accoring to that site they have all of one player who indicated he currently lives in Grand-Falls Windsor. If the AESHL hired four imports and dominated the west then what does the west do - hire eight imports?? Come on - the only reason the west is competitive is because of the imports most of whom had no idea where GFW was before this year. So lets not get on here and talk about the future of the league. The west will spend themselves out of business soon enough.
Actually 3 players(2 from Botwood) are living in GFW and 5 from there aren't living in gfw. There is also 7 players from the Central NL are(Botwood, Buchans, Gander, and Lewisporte.)

gallerygod

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:22 pm

seriously..and to make the regular season meaningful..start both leagues regular seasons in october not november..last place team in both leagues don't qualify for the playoffs. both leagues have a triple round-robin playoff. third place team is eliminated..top team is considered league playoff champion..have two herder semi finals..from the just completed triple round robin..first place in east takes on second place in west..first place in west takes on second place in east..two winners play for the herder..you get a sense then of which league could be stronger..there could be two teams from the east playing for the herder..or two teams from the west playing for the herder..or one team from each league.

Spiff

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Why do people wine about the West league? Years ago, this league was formed to give high level players a game and fans something to do on weekends. The league has evolved over the years and made adjustments. The East has their own league and decided that they wouldn't bother with imports. That was their decision and they have their own product. Which is better? That is a debate for the future. As a fan of the West ( and the Cats), I really enjoy the West style and calibre of play. It is semi-pro, no doubt about it, and I make no apologies for that.

To be criticizing the Cats team and the west because we bring in players from outside the town is sour grapes. This has been going on for years. I was at the Herder game today at Mile One and the Cee Bees brought out George Faulkner, a former player. Guess where he is from, Bishop's Falls. They brought in players from outside the area to put the best team on the ice for their fans. That is what the Cats have done. I appreciate the work Paul Glavine and Dave Canning have done to identify players and recruit them.

If the East has a problem with the West because of the import or player recruitment practice, don't bother to challenge them for the Herder. End their season once the East playoffs end.
Go Cats Go

Slapshot

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:52 pm

Spiff wrote:Why do people wine about the West league? Years ago, this league was formed to give high level players a game and fans something to do on weekends. The league has evolved over the years and made adjustments. The East has their own league and decided that they wouldn't bother with imports. That was their decision and they have their own product. Which is better? That is a debate for the future. As a fan of the West ( and the Cats), I really enjoy the West style and calibre of play. It is semi-pro, no doubt about it, and I make no apologies for that.

To be criticizing the Cats team and the west because we bring in players from outside the town is sour grapes. This has been going on for years. I was at the Herder game today at Mile One and the Cee Bees brought out George Faulkner, a former player. Guess where he is from, Bishop's Falls. They brought in players from outside the area to put the best team on the ice for their fans. That is what the Cats have done. I appreciate the work Paul Glavine and Dave Canning have done to identify players and recruit them.

If the East has a problem with the West because of the import or player recruitment practice, don't bother to challenge them for the Herder. End their season once the East playoffs end.
Go Cats Go
I don't disagree with you but my remarks are to west fans coming on here bragging that the east can't compete. Those great Herders between the CeeBees and Deer Lake 4 or 5 years ago were very memorable and I don't think Deer Lake had many imports if any (Correct me if I am wrong). I think the west started getting imports to strengthen their teams within the west and it has grown since then to the point where the east has become non competitive with the west. The reverse of what you said is also true that if you want to stack your team with hired guns then fair enough but don't come on here ridiculing the east because we choose to give locals a competetive game of hockey.

catsfan4

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:54 pm

Deer Lake did have imports back then but not as many

tippper

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:57 pm

This is nonsense about the east being non-competitive because of not enough imports. Since the old Newfoundland Senior Hockey League folded in 1989. Guess who has won the Herder the most?
In that 20 year period, Only Badger in 1992, La Scie in 1994, Deer Lake in 2001, Corner Brook in 2002 and Deer Lake Red Wings in 2005 have won the Herder. Even if you counted the geographically confusing Clarenville Caribous Herder wins in 2009 and 2010 that still gives the west ONLY SEVEN HERDERS!!! in a 20 year period. How is that dominating?

Slapshot

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:19 pm

gallerygod wrote:seriously..and to make the regular season meaningful..start both leagues regular seasons in october not november..last place team in both leagues don't qualify for the playoffs. both leagues have a triple round-robin playoff. third place team is eliminated..top team is considered league playoff champion..have two herder semi finals..from the just completed triple round robin..first place in east takes on second place in west..first place in west takes on second place in east..two winners play for the herder..you get a sense then of which league could be stronger..there could be two teams from the east playing for the herder..or two teams from the west playing for the herder..or one team from each league.
This still doesn't address the fact that both leagues play under different rules. Obviously your thinking here is that this would alow the west to have two teams play for the Herder because of the already discussed inequities created by the import rule. If the rules were the same in both leagues and the East started loading up on imports then the west would never see a Herder again under your scenario. You should watch what you wish for!!

gallerygod

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:34 pm

look there's something wrong with aeshl when the same team is at the herder 7 years in a row and is stumbling and bumbling in their last 12 games with a 2 and 10 record. a .166 record when competing for the herder ouch.

• Information