The AHL is Back

AHL Hockey - St. John's Ice Caps discussion.
NLHockeyTalk.ca

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:00 pm

The St. John's Ice Caps - AHL's newest (well almost) team, will be playing at Mile One in St. John's.

This is the place to come and talk about the team, its players and all the happenings around the league.

CaribousFan

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:03 am

NLHockeyTalk.ca wrote:The St. John's Ice Caps - AHL's newest (well almost) team, will be playing at Mile One in St. John's.

This is the place to come and talk about the team, its players and all the happenings around the league.
I am glad that the ahl back, I might go out to a few games when my Toronto Marlies come to town :-D
Caribous Record- 17-5-2= 36 Points= 1st Place- Regular Season Champs
Clarenville Caribous- 2011 Allan Cup Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2009-2010 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2008-2009 Herder Champions
CEC Siren Guy

ceebeesfreak44

Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:35 pm

i love that the ahl is back :P
GO CEEBEES GO

gallerygod
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:10 pm

p.t. barnum must be smiling down at Danny Williams and Glen Stanford. This is a terrible product that means diddly-squat on the canadian sports radar. and how come no one dares in the st.john's media asks mr. stanford about his last gig in hamilton where the bulldogs had a dismal showing at the gate for the playoffs. only two teams had more playoff games at home. the team finished sixth overall in total attendance and the average was 15th out of 16 playoff teams. their average would not fill half of mile one in st.john's and would not even meet the capacity of corner brook's pepsi centre. and that was montreal's farm team.

InTheFog

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:32 pm

gallerygod wrote:p.t. barnum must be smiling down at Danny Williams and Glen Stanford. This is a terrible product that means diddly-squat on the canadian sports radar. and how come no one dares in the st.john's media asks mr. stanford about his last gig in hamilton where the bulldogs had a dismal showing at the gate for the playoffs. only two teams had more playoff games at home. the team finished sixth overall in total attendance and the average was 15th out of 16 playoff teams. their average would not fill half of mile one in st.john's and would not even meet the capacity of corner brook's pepsi centre. and that was montreal's farm team.
Hamilton is Leafs' territory so what do you expect?

As for me I would have rathered that St. John's had landed a QMJHL team. It's an overall better fit for the City imo--rivalries iwth Halifax, Cape Breton, Moncton, Saint John, and Acadie-Bathurst and better for the local players around here to get scouted and drafted too. A QMJHL team would have been our own and we would not be at the mercy of the NHL parent team. At least with a major junior team that team itself controls it's own fate because the only time they have to worry about the team being shaken up is at the trade deadline. A GM of a QMJHL has a lot more work to do with a team than an AHL GM does because with the AHL team the GM's work is basically done by the NHL parent team.

gallerygod

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:10 pm

to InTheFog..Hamilton is also Sabres territory so if ever that city got an NHL team they would have to pay territorial rights to the Leafs and Buffalo similar to when the Colorado Rockies moved to New Jersey, they had to pay rights to the Rangers and Islanders.
As for your 110 PERCENT CORRECT assessment of the qmjhl, I was a season ticket holder of an OHL team many years back and missed maybe one or two games all year. Saw the likes of Dionne, Perrault, Sittler, Park, Potvin. Shutt and an eastern canada memorial cup final that included Lafleur. And one of the big stars was Terry Ryan senior with the old Hamilton Red Wings.

InTheFog

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:24 pm

gallerygod wrote:to InTheFog..Hamilton is also Sabres territory so if ever that city got an NHL team they would have to pay territorial rights to the Leafs and Buffalo similar to when the Colorado Rockies moved to New Jersey, they had to pay rights to the Rangers and Islanders.
As for your 110 PERCENT CORRECT assessment of the qmjhl, I was a season ticket holder of an OHL team many years back and missed maybe one or two games all year. Saw the likes of Dionne, Perrault, Sittler, Park, Potvin. Shutt and an eastern canada memorial cup final that included Lafleur. And one of the big stars was Terry Ryan senior with the old Hamilton Red Wings.
they msut have been some games to see gallerygod. I take it you would have rathered a Q team then too. i mean don't get me wrong I will go to the games but it won't be the same to me.

gallerygod

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:45 pm

to InTheFog...Dad was working in Toronto for a time before we moved back home so he always had a pair of season tickets to see the Jr Marlies at Maple leaf Gardens. How I saw Lafleur play..St.Catherines had to play Quebec in an Eastern Canada Memorial Cup final. Ticket demand was so great the OHL ordered the games to be played in Toronto and not St.Catherines. We had second crack for tickets after St.Catherines season ticket holders. One of the biggest thrills was seeing Terry Ryan play before a packed Maple Leaf Gardens.
As for the AHL sure i'll see the Ice Caps play and I hope they do well and I hope fans realize the first priority for this team is to groom players for the Winnipeg Jets and noy win the Calder Cup. What's the good of a farm team if no one makes it to the NHL.

canonball

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:00 am

Do anyone know ,what the price to watch an AHL game in the sin city will be this year

InTheFog

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:48 pm

canonball wrote:Do anyone know ,what the price to watch an AHL game in the sin city will be this year
$16.00, $21.00 and $26.00 but I think that for the most part the $26.00 tickets are all gone to the season seat holders.

• Information