Games This Weekend

AHL Hockey - St. John's Ice Caps discussion.
InTheFog
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:56 pm

gallerygod wrote:Stop the clock right now..Don't compare True North and the Moose. That was Vancouver's farm team. You know the team that was one win away from the Stanley Cup. Big difference in what True North bought. May I keep reminding people it was the sad sack Atlanta Thrashers. All True North did was moved a hockey team from Winnipeg to St.John's that had to be re-stocked..
If you think I'm negative, read the Winnipeg Free Press. They already got a poll out asking if season ticket holders are getting stiffed. Phases like lack of motivation have been echoing in recent editions.
How bad is the farm, so far the top scorer is not even in the top 35 in the entire AHL. And 75 percent of his points have been on home ice. Scores a hat trick after the big opening night game. When the pressure was on he did diddly and squat. And what do the Jets and Ice Caps have in common? Both teams have yet to score a power play goal on home ice.
I'm not negative. I'm realistic. And didn't buy into the hype like 5 thousand su I mean season ticket holders did from the King of the Corner Boys and his jester.
Well if losing is the case for getting stiffed then the Leafs' season seat holders are owed 44 years of refunds :lol: :lol:

gallerygod

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:02 pm

To Ben: I think of two senior players who could start, star and just maybe end up in Winnipeg. But they have been there, done that got the t-shirt and probably sick of the b.s the AHL represents in hockey. On average these guys in the AHL make the same as Phil Esposito was making with the Boston Bruins. Don't believe me, go to You Tube and find the Esposito interview.

GoalieXpert

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:50 pm

Gallerygod: I am honestly sick of guys like you coming on sites like this and whining like a 5 year old girl for no reason what so ever. Maybe you just like the attention, or maybe you have nothing else better to do with your time, whatever the reason is its just kinda sad. I know its only early in the season but right now the IceCaps are 5-1-1, first in the league, and yes their powerplay isn't exactly firing on all cylinders, but they are consistantly putting 40 shots on the oppositions goal. They ARE a good product and even if they dont have a league leading parent club, or even if they dont win another game for the rest of the season, no true newfoundland hockey fans even care because people are just happy to have professional hockey back on the rock. I am happy to pay whatever the price is to go to a hockey game to see a team with guys like paul postma (league allstar), spencer machachek (league allstar), and carl klingberg play cause one day these guys will more than likely be playing for the jets or some other nhl team. I dont watch a game becasue i am buying into the whole "king of the corner boys????" thing as you so elequantly put it, I am just happy to see some high calibre hockey not matter what the outcome of the game or the season is. So if your to cheap to pay to go see a game then dont come on hear and bash a team from your home province, especially if you have no legitamate comments. So do me and everyone else on this site a favor and from now on when you want to take a dump, go to your bathroom instead of signing on this site.

kabbott50

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Considering that Atlanta's farm team have been at or near the top in most of their seasons (2 Calder Cups in 3 appearances), the IceCaps start shouldn't surprise anyone. Nor should the Jets lack of success early on. It's been a trend for this organization, and I don't know why people are complaning. It's the way hockey goes. The Jets aren't going to magically be the top team in the league because they moved.

As far as the IceCaps go, they're playing terrific hockey. I personally don't care if the leading scorer finishes with 100 or 40 points at the end of year, so long as we have a good playoff run.

gallerygod

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:04 pm

General Manager has to come to town to crack the whip. It's shape up or ship out time. If you saw Saturday night's game between Winnipeg and Carolina, you witnessed a public outrage by the coach on the bench at their number one draft pick. Reading the Telegram, its obvious there's nothing on the farm to call up. Like I said, you could win 20 in a row but if the farm team is not developing its talent like it should then something's wrong.
Back in the old St.John's Maple Leaf days I saw a visiting coach shorten the bench to try and win a game. The coach was fired a week later. To win is not the purpose of a farm team. That's second on the list.
Montreal has hit the panic button--Winnipeg is not far behind.

gallerygod

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:49 pm

p.s. Did I miss something about Atlanta's farm team? Three of the last five seasons they did not make the playoffs.
And I quote from today's Winnipeg Free Press...The Winnipeg Jets are really just the Atlanta Thrashers wearing thermal underwear. Enough said.
If this team is so good..where are the call ups..the parent club is second last in the east. Like I said the GM is here to crack the whip and then go watch his team really go down the toilet on a seven game road trip that starts tomorrow night in Philadelphia.
And for the record, the team's leading scorer is 43rd in the entire AHL..43rd...I got to question the vets on this team, Ten percent of your season is just about over, 43rd is the best you can do and that's from a rookie who has obvious trouble setting up team-mates.

ceebeesfreak44

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:39 pm

gallerygod wrote:p.s. Did I miss something about Atlanta's farm team? Three of the last five seasons they did not make the playoffs.
And I quote from today's Winnipeg Free Press...The Winnipeg Jets are really just the Atlanta Thrashers wearing thermal underwear. Enough said.
If this team is so good..where are the call ups..the parent club is second last in the east. Like I said the GM is here to crack the whip and then go watch his team really go down the toilet on a seven game road trip that starts tomorrow night in Philadelphia.
And for the record, the team's leading scorer is 43rd in the entire AHL..43rd...I got to question the vets on this team, Ten percent of your season is just about over, 43rd is the best you can do and that's from a rookie who has obvious trouble setting up team-mates.
Who cares about those stats.. we are still 5-1-1.
GO CEEBEES GO

gallerygod

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:45 pm

The defense goes a combined minus 6 on the night. The leading scoring on the team slips in the AHL scoring race from 43 to 46 and was a sparkling minus 1. Now a six game road trip with a dreaded three games in two and half days. Both the parent club and the farm team will play combined their next 13 games on the road. And during that time, the panic button will be pressed.

kabbott50

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:14 am

Not that I care about your opinion very much, but why are you on here bashing the hometown team? I, for one, don't care how the Jets do now or in the long term. I just want to see the IceCaps win games, amd that's what they're doing. Sure, last night they had a rough go of it, but you also can't win every game.

Like I said earlier, it doesn't matter if our leading scorer is tops in the league, or near the bottom, as long as we have some W's in the column.

Bottom line is, if you're going to be so negative, keep it to yourself.

I will give you one thing though, these guys ARE here to develop into NHL calibre players, and that's exactly what they're doing. They've played eight games. What do you want from them? To be 8-0 and everyone on the team have 60 points already? Get real.

gallerygod

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:04 pm

For those that think the main purpose of the Ice Caps is to win hockey games. You're sadly, sadly mistaken. The main purpose of the Ice Caps is to develop talent for the Winnipeg Jets. Nothing more--nothing less. If there are wins then fine--bonus. But that is not the primary objective.
The role of the Ice Caps is to develop talent. By the way Michel Goulet doesn't travel to St,John's to see a team win or lose. He's there to assess talent. And he's there to see if Winnipeg and Phoenix are developing talent. Calgary is last in their division and may be getting ready to push their panic button a la Montreal. And last night St.John's had nothing to offer Goooooolet for his dispatches to the home office.

• Information