Games This Weekend

AHL Hockey - St. John's Ice Caps discussion.
gallerygod
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:36 pm

A great product!!!Either you got taken it by the King of the Corner Boys hype or you haven't really watched the American Hockey League. First of all every single solitary player on the ice at that present time is and has been rejected for play in the National Hockey League.Either they improve or they are gone. A team could be on a 20 game winning streak, but if they don't produce players for the parent club then what's the use of having a farm team.
Comeback to be sometime after Christmas and before the NHL trading deadline. Go to a game at Mile One and it don't matter who is the team, home or away. Watch for players who won't go into corners, who won't block shots or head to the bench when they lose the puck in the offensive zone so the plus/minus won't go down.
Many people got the misconception that this is 1991 all over again. It's not. Relish the good start for now. The parent club is dead last in the league and dead last in offense. if it don't change soon, then the call ups start. But then again, when you don't score a power play for two home games, what's on the farm to call-up.
For those that went to the games, here's an open question, out of anyone you saw is there one player on the IceCaps that's NHL material. The only player apeears to be the Hamilton goalie.

ceebeesfreak44

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Stop being so negative, the AHL is just a step below the NHL...The players are PROS
...most NHL players have played in the AHL at some point.
GO CEEBEES GO

gallerygod

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:57 pm

oh im so happy to shell out hard earned money to see a team that is dead last on the power play on home ice..Look at me King of the Corner Boys..hooray..we have a parent club that's dead last in the NHL.Happy--happy joy joy...Quick tell me, whose going to be the first call up. If you can't get motivated for a home-ice sold out season opener, then how do you motivate this team.

CBS

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:09 pm

gallerygod...again stop being so negative man... If I wanted to see a NHL game with NHL players I would goto Montreal or Toronto etc to see a game. We have an AHL team, nobody is expecting to see NHL players. It is good pro hockey. Fast good hockey.

As for comparing it too Sr. Hockey you can't. Two different games all together.

If you don't like the IceCaps, don't follow them and don't support them. Seeing there are 5000 of us Season ticket holders you won't be missed. :)

Ben

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:13 pm

gallerygod wrote:A great product!!!Either you got taken it by the King of the Corner Boys hype or you haven't really watched the American Hockey League. First of all every single solitary player on the ice at that present time is and has been rejected for play in the National Hockey League.Either they improve or they are gone. A team could be on a 20 game winning streak, but if they don't produce players for the parent club then what's the use of having a farm team.
Comeback to be sometime after Christmas and before the NHL trading deadline. Go to a game at Mile One and it don't matter who is the team, home or away. Watch for players who won't go into corners, who won't block shots or head to the bench when they lose the puck in the offensive zone so the plus/minus won't go down.
Many people got the misconception that this is 1991 all over again. It's not. Relish the good start for now. The parent club is dead last in the league and dead last in offense. if it don't change soon, then the call ups start. But then again, when you don't score a power play for two home games, what's on the farm to call-up.
For those that went to the games, here's an open question, out of anyone you saw is there one player on the IceCaps that's NHL material. The only player apeears to be the Hamilton goalie.
Maybe Klingberg? The guy who scored a hat trick Saturday night.... or Patrice Cormier, former captain of the Canadian WJ team. Seems like your biggest argument for not liking the IceCaps is the Jets doing bad...

InTheFog

Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:11 am

Ben wrote:
gallerygod wrote:A great product!!!Either you got taken it by the King of the Corner Boys hype or you haven't really watched the American Hockey League. First of all every single solitary player on the ice at that present time is and has been rejected for play in the National Hockey League.Either they improve or they are gone. A team could be on a 20 game winning streak, but if they don't produce players for the parent club then what's the use of having a farm team.
Maybe Klingberg? The guy who scored a hat trick Saturday night.... or Patrice Cormier, former captain of the Canadian WJ team. Seems like your biggest argument for not liking the IceCaps is the Jets doing bad...
I was going to say those players too but you beat me to it! :)

Don't forget too that when the Chicago Wolves were the affiliate of the Atlanta Thrashers they won two Calder Cups in 2005 and 2008 and three division titles in 2005, 2008, and 2010 and three Western Conference championships in 2002, 2005, and 2008 so while the NHL team wasn't the best run their AHL team did really well.

top cheese

Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:34 pm

GallaryGod's annaylis is typical of most Newfounland Criticism. To say that the AHL is not a good product is halarious. You look at NHL rosters and 80-90 percent of the players/ coaches in the league have spent some amount of time in the AHL.

The Reality is the AHL is a development league and that means there are challenges to being extremely competitive all year every year. But that is the same for every team in the league. Our positive though is that Winnipeg's ownership group has shown through the Moose that they always do there best to have a competitive AHL team. There are alot of variables in any 30 team league that have to fall into place to be successfull. Regardless next to the NHL it is the best hockey available next to the NHL.

I was at both games this weekend and I enjoyed both games. The first, even though the IceCaps doubled the shot clock they had lapses and where punished for them. They made adjustments for Saturday and played a heck of a game against one of the better teams in the league. I think this team is going to be enjoyable to watch this year and they are only going to get better once players like McArdle, Maxwell, and Gagnon get healthy. Maybe even Stapleton?

As for prospects.....We will be lucky to have Paul Postma all season he should be in the Jets top 6 now. Cormier and Klinberg look like they have prospect potential as does Redmond. Other then that it seems as if they have some good AHL contracted players like Rosa, Hopzaphel, etc.

gallerygod

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Stop the clock right now..Don't compare True North and the Moose. That was Vancouver's farm team. You know the team that was one win away from the Stanley Cup. Big difference in what True North bought. May I keep reminding people it was the sad sack Atlanta Thrashers. All True North did was moved a hockey team from Winnipeg to St.John's that had to be re-stocked..
If you think I'm negative, read the Winnipeg Free Press. They already got a poll out asking if season ticket holders are getting stiffed. Phases like lack of motivation have been echoing in recent editions.
How bad is the farm, so far the top scorer is not even in the top 35 in the entire AHL. And 75 percent of his points have been on home ice. Scores a hat trick after the big opening night game. When the pressure was on he did diddly and squat. And what do the Jets and Ice Caps have in common? Both teams have yet to score a power play goal on home ice.
I'm not negative. I'm realistic. And didn't buy into the hype like 5 thousand su I mean season ticket holders did from the King of the Corner Boys and his jester.

gallerygod

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:31 pm

p.s.....don't forget too about the Chicago Wolves..three of the last five years this team did not, I repeat did not make the American Hockey League Playoffs. And whose farm team was it? Why it was the Atlanta Thrashers. Remember not the 1991 days of the St.John's Maple Leafs..the dying days of this farm team for the Toronto Maple Leafs. In their last three years at Mile One. Remember, two out of those three years they did not make the playoffs and in their last year they were bounced out in the first round. How many playoff games did the St.John's Maple Leafs win in their last three years of existence. The answer..one.

Ben

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:20 pm

gallerygod wrote:p.s.....don't forget too about the Chicago Wolves..three of the last five years this team did not, I repeat did not make the American Hockey League Playoffs. And whose farm team was it? Why it was the Atlanta Thrashers. Remember not the 1991 days of the St.John's Maple Leafs..the dying days of this farm team for the Toronto Maple Leafs. In their last three years at Mile One. Remember, two out of those three years they did not make the playoffs and in their last year they were bounced out in the first round. How many playoff games did the St.John's Maple Leafs win in their last three years of existence. The answer..one.
Ask local senior hockey players if they'd rather play senior or with the IceCaps.... what do you think the answer would be?

• Information