great competition in the league

NL Junior Hockey discussions - St. John's Junior Hockey League / Central West Junior "B" league
ginos61
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:12 am

Seems like all teams are putting up a fight this year. Even the bottom teams of the league have had their chances to beat the first place caps. Makes for a great year, still don't see the caps winning the league this year, maybe the veitch but I see them losing in a 7 game series. Reminds me of the old Rangers and sharks teams lots of talent, but just can't cut it in the playoffs. Anyone see it this way?

Keep Shootin!!

grapes

Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:11 pm

ginos61 wrote:Seems like all teams are putting up a fight this year. Even the bottom teams of the league have had their chances to beat the first place caps. Makes for a great year, still don't see the caps winning the league this year, maybe the veitch but I see them losing in a 7 game series. Reminds me of the old Rangers and sharks teams lots of talent, but just can't cut it in the playoffs. Anyone see it this way?

Keep Shootin!!
The Caps are in the same boat this year as they were last, and we all know how they made out in the finals.... Id say Avalon takes the title....

the29

Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:49 pm

How can you use the "Caps being in the same boat this year as they were last" and then say you think Avalon will win the title? I don't think Avalon won a single playoff game last year, or in the past several years come to think of it, clearly 'phenomenal' playoff performers... so that argument makes no sense at all. Then when you consider that both times they have played the Caps this year they've been beaten by the same score of 6-1, and that mid-way through the season they have yet to win a single game against the Caps, Blades, or Celtics, all teams which are above or tied with them in the standings, not to mention the only 3 teams that have actually competed in the playoffs for the past several years. This means that all seven of their wins in that 7-7 record come from the four bottom teams in the league. How are they going to win the title when they haven't proven they can win a single game against another contender yet? Let alone 4 games out of 7. When you add all of that together, Avalon taking the title seems like a great, knowledgeable, unbiased prediction to me..

kento19

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:55 pm

grapes wrote:
ginos61 wrote:Seems like all teams are putting up a fight this year. Even the bottom teams of the league have had their chances to beat the first place caps. Makes for a great year, still don't see the caps winning the league this year, maybe the veitch but I see them losing in a 7 game series. Reminds me of the old Rangers and sharks teams lots of talent, but just can't cut it in the playoffs. Anyone see it this way?

Keep Shootin!!
The Caps are in the same boat this year as they were last, and we all know how they made out in the finals.... Id say Avalon takes the title....
Last year The caps ran into a player who was much better than anybody else in the province at the junior level. Cadigan stepped up his game in the playoffs and was just too much for the entire caps team to beat, along with a hot tender. The caps will take care of the league this year.

Blast97

Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:39 pm

And thats all it takes is one person to be unreal and play a much higher level.

gomez123

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:02 pm

grapes wrote:The Caps are in the same boat this year as they were last, and we all know how they made out in the finals.... Id say Avalon takes the title....
I was wondering when the annual predictions of avalon winning the league were gonna surface again...lol so amusing. "this year is avalons year" turns into "next year is avalons year" every season guys...stop making bogus posts please..anyone who follows this league whatsoever can tell you avalon doesn't have a chance in hell of winning the league. At least 5 of the 8 teams this year would handle them in a series; everyone aside from the stars and renegades.

now, on to a more logical prediction, obviously I have to say the caps are the favorites and will probably win because they SHOULD have a fair level of motivation to avenge the loss last year when they had one of the best teams I have ever seen in this league. Calling the runner-up right now is nearly impossible as I think the blades, flyers, and celtics are all very evenly matched.

top cheese

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:35 pm

Avalon is going down the same path they have the past 4-5 years. Start confidently with a win streak (probably b/c other teams aren't prepared to start the year). Then play a decent game here and there and place in the middle of the pack. Then loose in the first round of the playoffs easily in 4 straight games. They lack proper coaching, the players dont do what it takes to win, and have no system of play. To bad because of paper they have the talent to be a very good team year in and out.

St. John's team last year was not one of the best junior teams ever. There have been alot of better Celtics, St. John's and Avalon, bell island, CBN teams of the past that would destroy them and any team in this current league. I think there success is more a reflection of the number of players who are going away to play junior hockey now and that the league is watered down with 8 teams many of which only have a line or two of decent talent. Good team not great based on the current level of play

gomez123

Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:33 am

top cheese wrote:Avalon is going down the same path they have the past 4-5 years. Start confidently with a win streak (probably b/c other teams aren't prepared to start the year). Then play a decent game here and there and place in the middle of the pack. Then loose in the first round of the playoffs easily in 4 straight games. They lack proper coaching, the players dont do what it takes to win, and have no system of play. To bad because of paper they have the talent to be a very good team year in and out.

St. John's team last year was not one of the best junior teams ever. There have been alot of better Celtics, St. John's and Avalon, bell island, CBN teams of the past that would destroy them and any team in this current league. I think there success is more a reflection of the number of players who are going away to play junior hockey now and that the league is watered down with 8 teams many of which only have a line or two of decent talent. Good team not great based on the current level of play
Sorry but I definitely have to disagree with you here. I have been following this league for quite some time now and have seen nothing but improvements. If you wanna talk about the league of old, I remember the days when the games were much rougher and plenty more fights, but the game has evolved as it has in every other league; IMO this league has only gotten faster and more skilled each season. My explanation behind that is the opposite of yours...I don't know if you realize, but a lot of young talent go to the mainland and try out, and in many cases make Jr. A rosters but end up back home for some reason or another and end up playing in this Jr. B league. I think the growing number of players who have played at higher levels and eventually end up back here makes this league better and better every year. Keep up the good work SJJHL!

top cheese

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:12 pm

Thats fine you disgree. I dont know if you are a long time follower of the league but heres a couple things to consider. First look at the Saturday Paper and that should give you an indication of how many junior eligable players are currently away playing Tier 2 or Major Junior. 5-10 years ago you would be lucky to have close to half the number they have now. Not because of quality but because of opporitunity. Where did all those players typically play...... SJJHL. Second, There is now two Midgett AAA teams in St. John's and an established Midget AA league. While in the past there was the St. John's Maple Leafs team and nothing else. What you had in the past was a fair number of high end Midget players who never fell into the plans of the AAA coaches play in the SJJHL as 15,16,17 year olds (b/c of course the age requirements where different then). What you had was a very strong 6-7 team league where all the teams had depth and where highly competitive against each other with all the teams having 3 established lines. If you were to go to a community like Whitbourne, BI, or CBN you would get crowds like senior hockey has now.

Unfortunately, the junior league is watered down now to many teams and two small of a quality player pool. Yes there are good players but Is main purpose is to give junior aged players a place to play in this province and thats great but by no means is it comparable to past leagues. Most teams now have a line and a half of players and then fill out their rosters with guys who are lucky to play high school hockey. Yes, some guys go to junior A try-outs and come home but that improves them as much as a weekend hockey camp. The reality is that for the most part if you want a Junior A try-out and are willing to pay your way up then a team most likely would be willing to take a chance on you to fill out their camp roster of 40+.

Finnally how in the past three years how many SJJHL players have established themsleves at the senior level with a good competive team. ( not Torbay, Bell Island, and this new Avalon East League). Im pretty sure you would have difficulty counting them on one hand. If you look at the rosters on the NSHL teams you will find them littered with guys (i.e delaney, mooney, crann, sibley, north, etc etc etc) who where good junior aged players capable of making an impact at the senior level. Now you just dont have that because the players just aren't good enough or in the odd case willing enough

newf709

Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:04 am

i do agree that all teams have a few players who are not as talented as others on their team, and the level of play has gone down from previous years. The games are still very good hockey and are very interesting to watch. After watching every single team play a number of games this year, the caps are the clear favorites to win, however, I think that if the caps do not take the league championship this year, the only team who I feel has a shot at beating them in a series are the blades. Although the blades have yet to beat them this year the games between the two teams have always been close.
I will admit that I am a bit biased as I am a blades fan, but I must say last Sunday night they played probably one of the worst games of the year. With 30 seconds left in the game the celtics were ahead 5-3, and everyone accepted that the celtics had won as they were the better team that night. I was in complete shock along with everyone else in the rink when the blades scored twice in the last 30 seconds to tie the game, and then win the game in overtime. Although I dont think anyone was more shocked then the players on the ice! If the blades play like they did last sunday they have no chance of doing well in the playoffs, but i do feel like come playoff time they will bring their "A" game! I wish them the best of luck!

• Information