Zach O'Brien and Brandon Hynes Ice Caps next year?

AHL Hockey - St. John's Ice Caps discussion.
dicey
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:51 pm

These two Newfoundlanders are both doing great in the Q this year. Zach is second in total points, first in goals scored, Brandon is sixth in total points, fourth in goals scored. No one younger than either of them has more points or goals. Sure would be nice if both of these guys were playing with the Ice Caps next year. Hey Ice Cap management, take a good look at these two will ya?

InTheFog

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:02 am

Agreed 100 percent dicey

ceebeesfreak44

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:54 pm

I could see O'Brien hitting up the "show"
GO CEEBEES GO

kabbott50

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:27 pm

While possible, there should surely be lots of teams interested in both.

top cheese

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 am

alot of variables to come into play for one or both to make it pro. Nice to see O'brien lead the Q in scoring but remember Ryan Walsh led the Q in scoring for several years and ended up playing CIS and senior here.

kabbott50

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:33 pm

A) Ryan Walsh never cracked the Top 10 in either year he scored 100+ points.

B) When he played in the late 90's, Newfoundlanders were seen as a joke for hockey and being too soft. And it never helped that Walsh didn't show up in the postseason. Three points in 13 games doesn't exactly sell yourself as an elite player.

C) There's no telling whether he even got a fair look or not.

Now, I'm not saying he wasn't a good hockey player, because he was, but times have changed. There's a chance they could both play pro next year, but there's also, and I think a more likely chance, they will play their overage years in the Q as well.

InTheFog

Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:24 pm

kabbott50 wrote:A) Ryan Walsh never cracked the Top 10 in either year he scored 100+ points.

B) When he played in the late 90's, Newfoundlanders were seen as a joke for hockey and being too soft. And it never helped that Walsh didn't show up in the postseason. Three points in 13 games doesn't exactly sell yourself as an elite player.

C) There's no telling whether he even got a fair look or not.

Now, I'm not saying he wasn't a good hockey player, because he was, but times have changed. There's a chance they could both play pro next year, but there's also, and I think a more likely chance, they will play their overage years in the Q as well.

I think they would both be crazy to do that. It's also not up to the IceCaps' management if they are here or not either. It's up to the Jets' management.

As for Walsh maybe the desire wasn't there to play pro--ala Keith Delaney.

gallerygod

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:10 pm

Maybe more research needs to be done. But I get the impression Brandon Hynes although undrafted is the property of Tampa Bay. On a Swedish website Hynes is listed as an elite prospect and it says confirmed transaction??? Tampa Bay Lightning. And if you go to the Bolts prospects report, you'll notice updates upon updates on Brandon Hynes.
Correct me if I am wrong, but getting Hynes to St.John's are slim and none unless he plays next year for Norfolk.

kabbott50

Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:06 am

He took part in Tampa's training camp prior to the 2010-11 season, but I think that's as far as it went.

gallerygod

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Hynes did not attend the main Bolts camp. He was at their rookie camp in Traverse City, Michigan. The point I am making is this Swedish Website has Hynes listed as Bolts property. i don't recall any local media saying he has signed a contract with Tampa Bay. And he is always in the Bolts prospects report. They list him as if he is their property as Brandon Hynes (undrafted).

• Information