Give me a break HNL

NL Junior Hockey discussions - St. John's Junior Hockey League / Central West Junior "B" league
number 1
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:47 pm

How the brains of our provincial assn can stop teams like GFW and the Caribous from hosting the herder in their nice new or newly renovated arenas and will let St Johns host the Provincial Jr championships at a dive like twin rinks.Does not make sense. Unless they have added on seating or done a complete make over on it within the last year,I cant figure that one out.

Redwing

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:21 pm

agree with ya there, no seating at that arena, i remember playing out there and fans were stood on the bleachers and not many people can fit in there. More money could be brought in at a larger center.

kwh4050

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:13 am

Redwing wrote:agree with ya there, no seating at that arena, i remember playing out there and fans were stood on the bleachers and not many people can fit in there. More money could be brought in at a larger center.
totally agreed.... and it's the same way out there now... especially when they have rinks like mile one, if major midget can play there we should be allowed, or if we played at the Glacier cause that is a beauty rink as well... I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me because this is just my opinion and I am new to this league but it seems like Jr-B gets the short end of the stick on a lot of stuff.....

GongshowHockey

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:40 am

Your joking right? the herder brings $10,000+ revenue to each team plus what HNL gets. I would be hard pressed to believe that the Veitch would bring in $10,000 in the tournament... The caps home rink is twin rinks... Corner Brook, Central and PAB have all hosted the event in their home rink right? Why would they move it to another area? Not to mention getting ice time in St. John's is already hard enough especially this time of year with major midget atlantics, aeshl playoffs and finals, the ice caps, herder finals and minor hockey. I guess the caps would rather have the jack byrne when they host the dojo??? hahah

kwh4050

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:19 pm

GongshowHockey wrote:Your joking right? the herder brings $10,000+ revenue to each team plus what HNL gets. I would be hard pressed to believe that the Veitch would bring in $10,000 in the tournament... The caps home rink is twin rinks... Corner Brook, Central and PAB have all hosted the event in their home rink right? Why would they move it to another area? Not to mention getting ice time in St. John's is already hard enough especially this time of year with major midget atlantics, aeshl playoffs and finals, the ice caps, herder finals and minor hockey. I guess the caps would rather have the jack byrne when they host the dojo??? hahah
I wonder if the Caps had a choice in it, what rink would they choose? I think that a host should have their choice.... But you are completely right when you say about ice time in St. John's and the area.... I bet they could book solid 2 more rinks constantly if they had them... Do any of the rinks in the Metro area have full year ice? I know no one in Central or out west has ice all year round but I am wondering about out East.....

Trevor

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:51 pm

I think Capital Hyundai Arena has ice year round, but it is privately owned.

Regardless, Twin Rinks is a dump. I've played in rinks in the most out of the way places in this province, and Twin Rinks is up there with the worst. How that place is even allowed to be used for competition is beyond me. With the penalty boxes deep inside the blue line of one end, there's a pretty distinct advantage to having one end for 2/3rds of the game.

I don't think anyone has any illusions about the lack of profile/money making ability of the Veitch, but it's pretty damn hard to promote it as a respectable event when it gets booked for Twin Rinks. Nobody wants to watch a game in that building.

kwh4050

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:33 am

Trevor wrote:I think Capital Hyundai Arena has ice year round, but it is privately owned.

Regardless, Twin Rinks is a dump. I've played in rinks in the most out of the way places in this province, and Twin Rinks is up there with the worst. How that place is even allowed to be used for competition is beyond me. With the penalty boxes deep inside the blue line of one end, there's a pretty distinct advantage to having one end for 2/3rds of the game.

I don't think anyone has any illusions about the lack of profile/money making ability of the Veitch, but it's pretty damn hard to promote it as a respectable event when it gets booked for Twin Rinks. Nobody wants to watch a game in that building.
That's what I heard also... lack of seating as well

backhand shot

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:23 pm

Twin Rinks!!! Yes it has 2 Ice Rinks as the name says but only Seating on one side . They are only practice rinks!!! We played a minor hockey Easter tournment there. The Veitch should be promoted better than that!! 2 years ago the CATS played at the new Jack Byrne in torbay, wonderful arena but again very few fans.Look at the veitch in pab last year, what exitement!! full house every night, now that's the way to promote the VEITCH, the HERDER ETc. St johns 's will have a lack of fans for all of those events because they have ahl hockey.SO as i see it play the veitch.,' the herder where there are fans, ps -----Had to get a dig for the Herder to be played for the fans,...Not for just money ok!!!!!! :sad:

backhand shot

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:09 pm

What i am reading from everyone is that------And i have been at the veitch and felt sad that the trophey was down played, the exitement was not there , it was only played because it had to,it seemed like that. The veitch is not promoted . First of all everyone, members of the coaching staff, players know where the trophy came from. You may be suprised that they don't. It started in Buchans. I know i sound like KEN DROYEN, the HABS goalie of years ago..

number 1

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Great point about all the attention the Veitch drew last year in PAB..HnL says they are playing the Herder in Mile One for the betterment of the senior league.(still dont know how a city who has no team in the league get to host it,all the spin offs going to the city of STJ.) Well maybe it is time to move the Veitch to a town that has more to offer it. But no they dont care about the Holy Grail of Jr hockey in our prov.Lets face it , the host rinks in stj are not up to standards to host a cock fight. Let alone a pron championship. The senior league only went to mile one to avoid the dumps that senior played in there.Remember that herder played at Feildlian gardens.what a disgrace. HNL get your head out of the sand and take care of your Historical championship trophies and make some hype about them..

• Information