VEITCH 2012

NL Junior Hockey discussions - St. John's Junior Hockey League / Central West Junior "B" league
Redwing
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:21 pm

A) Not a clueless baymen if I'm not from the bay.

B) I apologize, but the post did seem to bash us. I read it in detail but if you go back and read it again, it seemed as if it was implied that the whole reason for playing a season is to make it to the Veitch.
"Quote:if they sent in an "All-Star" team from the Central-West league to the Veitch? I know it would
probably make the regular season pointless and nothing to play for,"
The season wouldn't be pointless if there was an all-star team, because each individual team has a shot at the league title and we are playing for that. The Telegram interview showed that the Caps head coach was more concerned with winning the league then the Veitch. The Veitch may be the "Ultimate Prize" of junior hockey but each team is focused on winning their league first.

kabbott50

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Ok - well how about I try and re-word my post.

I didn't see the games, and all I can do is judge by the scores that it seemed like you guys were overmatched extensively. I brought up the idea of an All-Star team because maybe if they had the best 20+ guys from the league on one team, it would make the games a little more even.

As you said, you had guys away working, going to school, maybe good enough to play away (which is only a testement to your minor hockey systems), so you may not of had as great a team as possible. And again, in no way, shape, or form am I taking your league title away from you. You battle all year to win that, and it's not easy to do night in and night out.

But, getting back to the All-Star team...if the league picked this team anytime during the season, and the team that won the league never even got to go to the Veitch, then the regular season and playoffs would be irrelevent as far as the Veitch goes. Obviously, winning the league is on top of the agenda for all teams, and you can't take that for granted, but if you have guys on lower quality teams, who are great individual players and they know they're going to the Veitch anyway, are they really going to give it their all during the season?

ANYWAY...in spite of all this, I re-iterate my congratulations to you and your team on winning your League Championship, and wish best of luck to both the Caps and Blades in the St. John's Final, and the Don Johnson Cup.

backhand shot

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Yes, that's what i think ----pick up players from the other 3 cwjhl teams and have an all star team for the veitch . I guess it won't happen,but something has to change to be in the race.CWJHLhas only 4 teams while SJJHL has 8 teams.See a number of cwjhl players of past years are in the st john's league while in school .The cats, last year in pab had a good showing and so did the pab team. RED WINGS you did ok, so now you know what the veitch games are like for the future. Good luck to the CAPS in the DON JOHNSON .

kwh4050

Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:12 pm

backhand shot wrote:Yes, that's what i think ----pick up players from the other 3 cwjhl teams and have an all star team for the veitch . I guess it won't happen,but something has to change to be in the race.CWJHLhas only 4 teams while SJJHL has 8 teams.See a number of cwjhl players of past years are in the st john's league while in school .The cats, last year in pab had a good showing and so did the pab team. RED WINGS you did ok, so now you know what the veitch games are like for the future. Good luck to the CAPS in the DON JOHNSON .
I don't think it's needs an All-Star team to complete. However; I think that the team who wins the CWJHL title should be given the option to either stay staus quo with their league team or be given the opportunity to pick up a max of 5 players and 1 goalie. No team in our league has enough players that we couldn't use an extra line and with picking up "the best possible" players to make that league up should be an eualizer. And obviously if by some strange chance it starts happeneing where the team from the CWJHL is consistantly winning due to the pick-ups, then it could be revisited... Any thougts out there on this?

backhand shot

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:17 am

Yes, kwh 4050 that sounds like a good idea, picking up 5 players for the veitch. That would make a team stronger and help players work all year so they would be picked at the end of the season. Something has to be done to improve it all ,so the teams have to work towards that goal.

JuniorHockeyFan

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:11 am

If you let the CWJHL pick up 5 players you have to do the same for the SJJHL, especially with the winner being the provinces representative at th Don Johnson Cup.

There is obviously a gap in talent, as people have said the constant stream of kids of that side of province into town and elsewhere for school makes it hard to compete. Look no farther that the Trinity Placentia Flyers, whos top players are largely from central to see the impact that has has on the CWJHl.

I think the CWJHL should reclassify itself as a junior C league and send its winner I the junior C atlantics, with the winner of the SJJHl going to the Don Johnson Cup. One of the four CWJHl

teams is gaurenteed a trip then and I think the teams would be competitive at that tournament.

If they were to do that they could keep the Veitch around as more of an exhibition series and let the CWJHL team pick up some players, but as it stands, being te official provincial championship and the requirement to advance to the Atlantics, you just can't allow one team to pick up strengthening players and not allow the other

backhand shot

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:08 pm

Yes, juniorhockeyfan i agree with what you are saying. maybe that could work. rRegarding the veitch tournament we't never get a chance to improve at the veitch unless the format changes. We don't have the player base in the cwjhl compared to sjjhl of course.There is always hope for the next years. AA MINOR MIDGET CENTRAL TEAM played AA MINOR MIDGET ST JOHNS'S TEAMS a couple of years ago and CENTRAL won all games . Most of those players played JR. B hockey the next year. If anyone got any ideas to improve the CWJH system come on and let everyone know .

newf709

Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:03 am

i was at the veitch final and i don't want to take anything away from st. john's, but Mount Pearl deserved to win that game. They scored not one, but two other goals, both of which were clearly in the net and both were called back for some ridiculous reason. The reffing was brutal as the entire crowd, even St. Johns fans couldnt believe they called no goal twice. Talking to one of my friends who was a parent of one of the players of St. Johns even said that they got extremely lucky as he said that he saw that both of them were clearly in the net.
It should have ended 5-3 for the blades, but what can you do..that's hockey i guess!
Congrats St. Johns

backhand shot

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Well, the blades should have won!!!! The ref. must have been in st john's favor. That's bad for that series to happen that way,it ends the games on a sour note to take away not 1 but 2 goals!!!!!!

backhand shot

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Mount pearl blades ----go blades go at the DON JOHNSON CUP!!!!!!!!

• Information