Tyler Bennett

NL Junior Hockey discussions - St. John's Junior Hockey League / Central West Junior "B" league
The Puck
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Tyler Bennett will be big addition to the Express he almost made a junior a team this year in Nova Scotia and if it wasn't for that team stacked with older players he might have made that team. Their coach said he could have made a few other teams in that league but because of the travel distance from the university he was attended he decided to not try out for another junior a team but play junior b up there. He can play any position because he did that in AAA midget with the Icepak the last few years.

rebnats

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:53 pm

If he played jr B up there then how is he playing with the express now

The Puck

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:07 pm

He got a release that is why.

kwh4050

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:10 pm

he played huge minutes for us and showed his versatility in being a natural forward who played defense last weekend.... great addition and with the refs lined up for this weekend he won't get as many head shots and charges as he did last weekend.... it's amazing how many bigger players think they look great by running at a shorter player... that'll all change this weekend...

Richard LeRiche

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:30 pm

First is this guy the short little guy that was on D? If so my question to u as a coach is how can u call it head shots when u got othe players that are a foot or so bigger then him throwing the hits! hes small there big if he cant take a hit then he shouldnt be playin. Now on the other hand if there were delibarate heads shot attempts then no i dont agree with that at all! That hit that snow threw on him IMO was a bad call bennett head only came up to snows chest for god sake! But this is my opinion only if we are talking about the same guy! So correct me if its not the same one. The thing is if the roles were reversed you wouldn't be thinking that way! If it was one of your players throwing hits on smaller players.

kwh4050

Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:31 pm

Richard LeRiche wrote:First is this guy the short little guy that was on D? If so my question to u as a coach is how can u call it head shots when u got othe players that are a foot or so bigger then him throwing the hits! hes small there big if he cant take a hit then he shouldnt be playin. Now on the other hand if there were delibarate heads shot attempts then no i dont agree with that at all! That hit that snow threw on him IMO was a bad call bennett head only came up to snows chest for god sake! But this is my opinion only if we are talking about the same guy! So correct me if its not the same one. The thing is if the roles were reversed you wouldn't be thinking that way! If it was one of your players throwing hits on smaller players.
Check Zdeno Chara's and Hal GIll's penalty history and see how many times they unintentionally lay head shots and are penalized for it... A player's height has nothing to do with the situation when it comes to it being a head shot or not. He is the short defenceman but always makes the play to take the late hits, head shots, high hits and charges.... I wouldn't be complaining if the hits weren't deliberate head shots and he showed last weekend that he can play above average even when being targeted because of his height.
And just for the record if I had a player that was deliberately targeting a smaller player I would take him aside and wonder what was going through his head. Small players need to be hit during a game especially when they are as skilled as Bennett but I never see those hits being attempted on Vaters or Mitchell when he plays.....

Richard LeRiche

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 am

Oh he's def a good asset to your team no doubt. But i have to disagree with the head shot on small people but this is my opinion lol! if its not deliberate or a blindside hit then to me it would be fair game so thats why i said that about Snows hit on him that he got a penalty for , he had went straight at him front on and Bennett was looking at him when he got hit, Snow didnt have no arms or elbows up but because his head hit Snows chest he got put in the box for it which i disagee with.But like said that's my opinion.
As for the comment about you taking a player aside and wondering whats going through his mind.. Did you do that with Champion after what he did? If a player of mine was out there deliberatly trying to hurt someone then i would bench them for the rest of the game and prob the next one, thats something i dont have anytime for! I also agree that there were a couple of times that a player did take a run at one of your players, but in saying that there was alot of stick work being done from your players too that was left alone. But 2 wrongs dont make a right either. There are going to be calls and non calls its just nature of the beast cause i dont know what its like to be a hockey ref but i know what its like to be a basketball ref and any reffing job is thankless and you got to have thick skin thaats for sure. Have a good one and hopefully the series goes to game 7 and the mariners win lol!!

kwh4050

Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:19 am

Richard LeRiche wrote:Oh he's def a good asset to your team no doubt. But i have to disagree with the head shot on small people but this is my opinion lol! if its not deliberate or a blindside hit then to me it would be fair game so thats why i said that about Snows hit on him that he got a penalty for , he had went straight at him front on and Bennett was looking at him when he got hit, Snow didnt have no arms or elbows up but because his head hit Snows chest he got put in the box for it which i disagee with.But like said that's my opinion.
As for the comment about you taking a player aside and wondering whats going through his mind.. Did you do that with Champion after what he did? If a player of mine was out there deliberatly trying to hurt someone then i would bench them for the rest of the game and prob the next one, thats something i dont have anytime for! I also agree that there were a couple of times that a player did take a run at one of your players, but in saying that there was alot of stick work being done from your players too that was left alone. But 2 wrongs dont make a right either. There are going to be calls and non calls its just nature of the beast cause i dont know what its like to be a hockey ref but i know what its like to be a basketball ref and any reffing job is thankless and you got to have thick skin thaats for sure. Have a good one and hopefully the series goes to game 7 and the mariners win lol!!
I agree... I don't have any time for anyone trying to deliberately hurt anyone. This game is supposed to be fun but no one should want to see anyone get seriously injured. I did have a long chat with Champion and he knows he was wrong. When the guy hit him from the front it was fine. When the split second after the initial hit was laid when #4 (LeRiche which I am assuming is your son) gave Champion a cross check from behind (and not in a malicious manner I don't think -- just emotions in a game) he spun around and slashed him in the upper shoulder without using his best judgement. He has accepted his game suspension and wishes he could play Saturday but that's hockey and things happen.
I hope it doesn't go to Game 7 though, lol.. I don't think my heart can take anything else because I am assuming that a game 7 would be like a full game repeat of Game #2 & #5's OT periods, lol....

Richard LeRiche

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:07 am

Actually Chad LeRiche is not my son. Lol. Not even related directly , his father and my father are distant relatives! Why wouldn't you wang it to go 7 man it makes it very exciting and especially when it goes to OT. Games 4&5 were very enjoyable.

kwh4050

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:27 pm

Richard LeRiche wrote:Actually Chad LeRiche is not my son. Lol. Not even related directly , his father and my father are distant relatives! Why wouldn't you wang it to go 7 man it makes it very exciting and especially when it goes to OT. Games 4&5 were very enjoyable.
sorry about the assumption of relation, lol.... OT's in Game 7 are always exciting but I would much rather win on Saturday in game 6, lol

• Information