Veitch

NL Junior Hockey discussions - St. John's Junior Hockey League / Central West Junior "B" league
kwh4050
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:43 pm

the tournament should either be Fri-Sun with a Friday night game, Sat @ 12ish followed by sat night @ 8ish. With a final on Sunday... These guys are 16-20 years old and should all be able to handle 3 games in 3 days... Even if they have 2 games on Sat and the final on Sunday, that still isn't too demanding.... I personally think they should give up the hosting nonsense and go with the winner from the East VS winner of the west in a 2 out of 3 series... Change the region rotating from East to West coast each year... That would be the best for everyone....

Richard LeRiche

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:27 pm

Well I forgot about the veitch tourney this weekend! So I decided to run over there as I'm in Stephenville for my own reason , so I decided to run over there at I should have stayed at the hotel. St. John's slaughtered the express I think it was 18-1. The score wasn't even on the board when I walked in but I was told they took the score off. So they play the championship tomorrow night against the jets!

gillam_09

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:03 pm

kwh4050 wrote:I personally think they should give up the hosting nonsense and go with the winner from the East VS winner of the west in a 2 out of 3 series... Change the region rotating from East to West coast each year... That would be the best for everyone....
in 2005 when i won it with CBN this was the format. We won the east, Central won the west and we played off in bay roberts and beat them in 3. the year after CB hosted it and and Bell Island and Mt Pearl represented the east and Central and Triton reped the west. it keeps changing i guess lol

backhand shot

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:47 am

Good luck stephenville in sat. game in the veitch.well what happened to the Express team/ how many players played tonight/

kwh4050

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:04 am

backhand shot wrote:Good luck stephenville in sat. game in the veitch.well what happened to the Express team/ how many players played tonight/
Express started with 7 skaters, then 1 person was sick and they went down to 6 and they in the 3rd they finished with 6 skaters..... Can't play hockey this way...

kwh4050

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:07 am

gillam_09 wrote:
kwh4050 wrote:I personally think they should give up the hosting nonsense and go with the winner from the East VS winner of the west in a 2 out of 3 series... Change the region rotating from East to West coast each year... That would be the best for everyone....
in 2005 when i won it with CBN this was the format. We won the east, Central won the west and we played off in bay roberts and beat them in 3. the year after CB hosted it and and Bell Island and Mt Pearl represented the east and Central and Triton reped the west. it keeps changing i guess lol

If is was the East's turn to host and CBN hosted a 2 out of 3 format against the winner of the Central/West then your management that run the team that year should be applauded for making the best decision and having a 2 out of 3... It'll hopefully get changed @ the AGM(s) this year.... Should only be a East VS Central/West with the host having to be one of those teams....

Unidentified Source

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:39 am

After a 18-1 blowout I don't think the format is the biggest concern because unless the Jets come up with an effort and make the championship game close, I doubt you'll see the west compete for the Veitch anymore. the score last night proved the SJJHLs point. Now it's up to the wests last place team that's only won a couple games all year to make a competitive game out of it. That's a tall order especially after the west "champs" came up with that horrible performance last night.

srs73

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:26 am

Well, Unidentified Source...I have to give the Express credit last evening. You call their performance "horrible" but I have to call it admirable. I honestly believe that with a full line up, either team from the central/west league could give any team from the east, a good and competitive game. Like the Express, the Jets are also missing key players and the Thursday to Sunday schedule is one of the reasons for it.
One thing is for sure, the Jets will go out this evening and give it 110%. Sometimes winning the game isn't the end result but gaining the respect of your opponents is. With saying that, I can honestly say that I have a lot of respect for the Express players who put themselves out there and for their coaches for keeping them motivated to the best of their ability.

Toiletbowl

Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:14 pm

The league when the West started for the first two years was a 2/3. Then they switched it to 4 team for the next two years. Then back and forth every different year pretty much.
The Express had 6-7 players. I would like to see the Caps travel to Stephenville with that and expect to compete. To call this team no goods USourse make me wonder if you even have a clue. Champion and Vaters are among the top players on the Island, so go along with Jared King, Marcus Samson, really missing Mitchell as well. Their D is solid with Brent, Snow, and Bennett to go along with Wiffen in net.....Id say you put this team in the St Johns league they would finish top 4 for sure.

kwh4050

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:19 am

With Champion, Vaters, Samson, Thompson, Budgell, Gillard, Bennet and Mitchell missing it was brutal for us... Thanks srs73 and Toiletbowl for defending us... No team can win with 6-7 skaters against a team with a full line-up. Not faulting the Caps at all and Paul's squad are for sure a great team but the game would have been a lot closer with my full line-up.
One of our top players all season was Jared King and even though he has a mcl tear in his left knee and couldn't turn because of the instability, he still showed the heart, guts and determination to put on the skates, put the "C" on his chest and play his heart out....
I am 100% proud of all of my players that played in the VEITCH and they are an amazing group of guys to do what they did.

• Information