Cataracts Take 2-0 Series Lead

Updated: February 28, 2016

The Grand Falls-Windsor Cataracts take 2-0 series lead in the Central West Senior Hockey League finals, after defeating the Corner Brook Royals 4-3 in game 1 and 2-1 in game 2.

On Saturday night, the Corner Brook Royals rolled in the Joe Byrne Memorial Stadium and drew first blood when team captain Michael Hynes scored a power play at the 7:32 mark of the first period to give the Royals a 1-0 lead.  Things then turned ugly in the game when the Royals Dave MacDonald took a 5 minute boarding major.   Even though the Royals took a 1-0 lead into the dressing room after the first period of play, that 5-minute major would come back to bite them.

The Cataracts Mike Brent scored just 5 seconds into the second period, a power play marker on a nice pass from teammate Cam Fergus.  Brent picked up his second just 20 seconds later to give the Cataracts a 2-1 lead early in the second period.  The Cataracts Kyle McGuirk made it 3-1 at the 10:15 mark before the Corner Brook Royals responded when veteran Keith Delaney scored for the Royals to make it 3-2 after two periods of play.

In the third period, the Cataracts Luke Gallant would score the eventual game winner at the 10:30 marker.  Michael Hynes scored for the Royals at 17:31 of the third and with the net empty, they could not get one to even the score, giving the Cataracts a 4-3 win.

The Grand Falls-Windsor Cataracts out shot the Royals by a 37-24 margin.

On Sunday afternoon, the Royals came out looking for a split in the series but it was the Grand Falls-Windsor squad that struck first as Andrew Brennan scored at the 18:45 mark on the first period to give the Cataracts a 1-0 lead after the first period.

The second period saw a very scary play develop that resulted in the Corner Brook Royals import Ryan Salvis being taken off the ice on a stretcher after just 1:58 had passed.

  With the puck was dumped behind the Cataracts net, Salvis and Cataracts defenseman Rodi Short skated at top speed towards the puck.  Salvis got a few strides ahead of Short in the race and Short reached out to shove Salvis away from the puck, knocking him off-balance.  Salvis was left in a vulnerable position and falling with the momentum of both players carrying into the boards.  The Royals forward fell to the ice and it was evident that he was in distress as he lay motionless for a few seconds.   Salvis was taken off the ice on stretcher and immediately to the hospital.  No official word has been given as to his condition.

Short was assessed a 5-minute boarding major and a game misconduct, giving the Royals an opportunity with a 5-minute power play.

  Unfortunately, the Royals were unable to score with the man advantage.  The Royals did manage to pull even when Stephen Simms let a weak shot go that barely trickled over the  line, knotting the score at 1-1 after 2 periods of play.

In the third period, the Cataracts forward Danny Wicks scored at the 6:53 marker, giving his team the eventual win with a 2-1 score.  With the Royals pressing and the net empty, the Corner Brook team was unable to pull even.

The Royals Bryan Gillis faced  41 shots and the Cataracts AJ Whiffen just 23 shots for the win.

Play resumes next weekend in Deer Lake for game 3 and then Corner Brook for game 4.

Royals vs Cataracts | Newfoundland HockeyRyan Salvis Injury | Newfoundland Hockey

Pictures courtesy of Roslynn Norman West.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.